For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 01/04/2019 at 23:07, 00quattro00 said:

Are there any limits on how much you can increase the track of a vehicle? I want to make longer arms for a ifs 4wd that would increase the track by about 150mm over all

It's on the lvvta website, can't recall want it is off the top of my head

On 01/04/2019 at 23:07, 00quattro00 said:

Are there any limits on how much you can increase the track of a vehicle? I want to make longer arms for a ifs 4wd that would increase the track by about 150mm over all

Cant find anything that specifically says a max increase, apart from maximum overall width, and max track width difference front to rear, how you do it would determine what requirements would apply

Most likely would require design approval for that sort of modification 

16 hours ago, CorollaGT said:

A car that's got a LVV cert for aftermarket seats (reclinable) and rails. Also was 5 seater at time of cert. Does the cert become invalid if the car gets a MSNZ roll cage and is fitted with fixed back seats/harnesses with authority card etc?

Cert plate would need updating to match the mods to the car.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

Its normal to change feom 4 stud to 5 when increasing engine power but would instead increasing stud size also make the cert man happy?

Yep that's one of the options in the engine and drive train standard

Usually required for an engine swap that is heavier than original, ie a 302 into a capri-

upgrade the wheel studs to 1/2 and that matches , for example, a fox body mustang- they were 4 stud, 1/2 studs and factory fitted with a 302

• Like 4

I ask because my beetle will soon be ready for a drive (using an old 1200cc aircooled motor) but I went and purchased a 96 legacy turbo as a donor for a one-day-dream-build of the beetle. About to buy wheels and would be cool if the wheels i buy (4 stud) wont have to be replaced later on.

Have never heard of beetle spindles being replace with larger, but haven't heard of any legal turbo two liter beetles in nz either. 

Doesn't really matter because it will never happen anyway lolololololol

Also. Are weld Draglites/prostars legal for road use in NZ. I have seen them on the road a few times but that doesn't necessarily make them OK

4 hours ago, CorollaGT said:

Does that mean a full recert or just a minor paperwork update? If thats such a thing

All certs are full certs, except a wheel and tyres update and partial/full return to standard.

The amount of time difference between doing a "minor paperwork update" and a full recert is not that much so you might save a little, but not a whole bunch. Keeping in mind the certifier has to check that all previously certified mods are still compliant and that there are no other obvious mods that have taken place since the last cert.

FYI - plating fee is approx $200 which is what pays for the LVVTA system, the rest of the cost is the certifiers time and their costs. (a plate reprint for a partial return to standard or a wheels and tyres change is about half that)

6 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

Have never heard of beetle spindles being replace with larger, but haven't heard of any legal turbo two liter beetles in nz either. 

Also. Are weld Draglites/prostars legal for road use in NZ. I have seen them on the road a few times but that doesn't necessarily make them OK

the engine weight is more of an issue than hp, so a beetle probably wouldn't need the spindles upgraded for an engine swap, where the engine is in the back

draglites/prostars are ok

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cletus said:

Cant find anything that specifically says a max increase, apart from maximum overall width, and max track width difference front to rear, how you do it would determine what requirements would apply

Most likely would require design approval for that sort of modification 

Is there an easy to comprehend document i can read as I'm not very good at words

This is what I'm wanting to do 

https://www.chaosfab.com/96-02-4Runner-Long-Travel-Boxed-Lowers-Kit-96000BK-4.html

5 minutes ago, 00quattro00 said:

Is there an easy to comprehend document i can read as I'm not very good at words

This is the infosheet for design approval, effectively you are wanting custom IFS, so will need to be assessed via the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC)

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_01-2016_LVV_Custom_Independent_Front_and_Rear_Suspension_Approval_Application_Guide.pdf

Background:The NZ Hobby Car Technical Manual (HCTM) requires that any custom independent front or rear suspension (IFS/IRS) assembly obtains approval from the LVVTA’s Technical Advisory Committee. This includes any situation where an original equipment (OE) IFS has been transplanted into a different vehicle and where its OE suspension arm pivot-point locations have changed to non-OE locations, or where the relocation of any geometry-critical pivot points has taken place, thereby altering the suspension systems pre-set geometry.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

I ask because my beetle will soon be ready for a drive (using an old 1200cc aircooled motor) but I went and purchased a 96 legacy turbo as a donor for a one-day-dream-build of the beetle. About to buy wheels and would be cool if the wheels i buy (4 stud) wont have to be replaced later on.

I searched this one for a long time with the quad cam engine. 

Very hard but it is doable to keep the engines under the deck lid in the quad cam. The physical size difference is huge. And... they get hard to lower because they have sumps. 

Hope you do it but. 

• Like 1

On 11/04/2019 at 20:14, KKtrips said:

This is the infosheet for design approval, effectively you are wanting custom IFS, so will need to be assessed via the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC)

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_01-2016_LVV_Custom_Independent_Front_and_Rear_Suspension_Approval_Application_Guide.pdf

Background:The NZ Hobby Car Technical Manual (HCTM) requires that any custom independent front or rear suspension (IFS/IRS) assembly obtains approval from the LVVTA’s Technical Advisory Committee. This includes any situation where an original equipment (OE) IFS has been transplanted into a different vehicle and where its OE suspension arm pivot-point locations have changed to non-OE locations, or where the relocation of any geometry-critical pivot points has taken place, thereby altering the suspension systems pre-set geometry.

Would that also cover fabricating a new upright as well?

rclt-4r-004.jpg&hash=c8360d00f9345938b93 

Just wanting to check what I can do to my seam above my wheel in cert world. 

I have enough clearance (just) for full compression without it touching but just wanting to be doubly sure I can’t damage the tyre on a big compression. This is being built to do jumps on targa.. 

A double seam like this provides quite a lot of strength to a sheet metal folding so I’m not sure if I can cut it back then stitch weld a doubler over the gap or something similar? 

In the past ive bashed seams like this flat but that doesn’t seem like the right thing to do either. 

B890AA23-520D-46D0-8085-8EED24C18A1E.thumb.jpeg.44aa620cfad6975cc29965d1a6657da5.jpeg

Looks like someone tried to re register my new Morrie in 2016

It failed. I imagine due to rust and possibly wrong engine.

Will it now be flagged for rust and il need a repair cert?

I'm going to get replacement chassis horns and seemlessly replace the whole lot

• Like 2