For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

43 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Wow ok real banging heads stuff. looks like a lot of that could be just supplying the data. Would not surprise me if there is a program that they punch it into and out spits go, no go based on measurement given. ?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, scooters said:

Would not surprise me if there is a program that they punch it into and out spits go, no go based on measurement given. ?

nope, that sort of modelling would take way too long and require too much validation to be worthwhile. I'd assume they'd run some basic stress calculations at key areas (decrease allowable stress for fatigue/welds etc, apply huge safety factor) and then get a yes/no.

I suspect it's more of a visual check - if the design uses typical material sizes and the alignment of the pivot points looks OK for bump steer then it would get approval. 

Anything oddball would get closer attention. Anyway, all that lies in my future :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Transom said:

So is that the way to get a custom front subframe approved  ?

or is there another form for that ? Stock suspension locations and mounts to body and engine just built from tubing not from pressed tin spot welded together 

That would just be normal Cert approach I guess. The custom IRS/IFS is the only thing I know of that always requires TAC approval, unless you are doing something really weird.

Quick numberplate question, just finished rebuilding a trailer which had no original numberplate but the newly assigned number plate is huge and doesnt fit anywhere. Ive cut 70mm or so off the bottom where I would assume a rego tag would go but its still to big, can you get the numberplates made up in a square shape the same as mopeds? Used the same form to register so I assume its possible but VTNZ lady had no clue.

20190302_191003.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:27, f100_dreamin said:

Hey @cletus

have you seen the leaf spring sliders that seems to be common to use on A body’s in the U S of A, would they be all good to use in NZ

47204226391_f3ff3e7b91_b.jpg

https://www.manciniracing.com/lespsl.html

have seen them on the internet, but not on a car here.

the side loading could be an issue- if its a steel washer rubbing on the side of the bracket, that might not be ideal long term on a street car

• Like 1

@Geophy have a geeze on this website 

https://consumer.licensys.co.nz/landing maybe even give them a call and have a yarn - have to call to get motorcycle 2 line format made anyway, but I’m pretty sure two line format is for motorcycles only.

You may be able to get it made in slimline format, but that would cost $$. Best bet would be to maybe see brent and see if he can make you a scaled down one for show use only etc?

• Like 1

Question re: pedal boxes. 

I had a bit of a manlook but couldnt find any threads about it. 

What's legal or not legal? 
I think I remember seeing something about not being allowed to weld the pedals or they have to be all one piece. 

But what other rules are there around what you can/cant do, and what materials can be used and so on? 

I had a look through the cert manual thing about rules for brakes but couldnt find any specific info about pedal box construction. 

On 14/03/2019 at 16:47, Roman said:

Question re: pedal boxes. 

I had a bit of a manlook but couldnt find any threads about it. 

What's legal or not legal? 
I think I remember seeing something about not being allowed to weld the pedals or they have to be all one piece. 

But what other rules are there around what you can/cant do, and what materials can be used and so on? 

I had a look through the cert manual thing about rules for brakes but couldnt find any specific info about pedal box construction. 

Fb me.