For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, AllTorque said:

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/exhaust/exhaust-system

See point 7 for exhaust noise 

see epecially how the wof inspector can use their judgment as to if is too loud or not.

Yep read that this morning before posting up on here. That's basically what the WOF inspector has decided - and TBH it's fairly loud (13B bridge port, 2 resonators and boiler style muffler).  

The rear muffler has a bolt on flange to the rest of the system, and I'm thinking an option is to install said baffle (shut it up for the wof) - take it back to WOF place and say 'we installed new resonators/mufflers & now it's quiet' - see if its passes.  If not, book in a noise cert and get the stamp on the exhaust saying it's legit.

14 minutes ago, Evan said:

Air bag (cup) mounts,  do they need to be tig'd and crack tested or just mig away?

My top mounts are just MIG tacked between the plate and pipe. No worries.

Only the mods on the front suspension arms need all the TIG and testing. 

10 hours ago, oldrx7 said:

any one on here had an exhaust certified before - the brothers wagon failed its WOF (certed for engine conversion + other mods) but WOF guy recons he needs exhaust cert.

Is the process any different to regular certification stuff? Is it a quick and easy process? ie; book an appointment, exhaust gets checked and either passes or fails?

exhaust cert is a completely separate process, to regular cert for everything else

as you describe, book it in, get checked, pass or fail

from my experience when I was doing noise certs/testing

we charged $50 if it failed, and $250 if it passed, that included the sticker and a certificate, which we have to put the car on a hoist and measure/sketch the whole exhaust system, check for leaks, make sure it is secured correctly, etc.

as far as I know now, most of the guys doing noise certs charge $300+ whether it passes or fails

ported rotaries are probably the worst to get legal of everything for a couple of reasons.  the whole time I was doing testing I can only remember 2 ported n/a rotaries that had legitimate exhausts that passed without some sort of "temporary" baffle or something to shut it up for the cert. 

you don't have to get stickered for noise to get a noise cert, anyone can get it done any time, and a wof inspector can ask for it if they think its louder than factory.

I suspect there will be a lot more noise certs being asked for now that NZTA is clamping down on wof inspectors

when the noise testing thing came in, it was quite common, id get a lot of calls about it, over the years it has died off. sometimes ill get a few calls on a Monday about it because the cops have had a weekend of handing out stickers

baffles can be removeable, theres nothing saying it cant be, the only rule around that is the exhaust must be designed so it requires tools to change things

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 00quattro00 said:

I have a discovery 2 that I'm doing an engine swap on, can I remove the airbags and abs from it then get it certified?

yes if you follow the requirements in here

airbags https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Frontal_Impact.pdf

abs removal  https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Braking_Systems.pdf

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cletus said:

baffles can be removeable, theres nothing saying it cant be, the only rule around that is the exhaust must be designed so it requires tools to change things

That's interesting. The last I heard was that it had been changed so baffles couldn't be removed.  Bolt ins had to be welded.  Maybe it was a matter of the warrant place protecting themselves. 

1 hour ago, kyteler said:

couldn't be removed

9 hours ago, cletus said:

it requires tools to change things

which is covered by everything from the headers that bolt onto the Block back pretty much

so yeah a Bolt on a Baffle is the same definition 'in the rules' as the bolt that hold any part of the exhaust to the Block / engine

32 minutes ago, oldrx7 said:

Cheers for the info Clint - You & Mark are still listed on the LVVTA contact list as doing exhaust & noise certs - not the case?

still have the category for doing them, but we now refer noise certs to someone else for a few reasons.

the main one being it was costing us money- I worked out over a 6 month period, just under half of the people booked in didn't turn up. because im mobile, I had to organize a site to test at each time, and at $50 if it failed, we were not covering the time it took to drive there, and people would still moan at the cost because the test was pretty quick if it failed

it started getting in the way of other work so we gave our meter to one of the guys who is based in a shop, it makes more sense to do noise certs based from one place rather than battle traffic

• Like 1

this exhaust noise thing brings up another question

while you said baffles etc should need tools to be removed but what about the case of a baffle to make the exhaust quiet for oldman reasons

basically similar to a lot of modern supercars/high performance cars that have some kind of varex type butterfly valve thing in the exhaust

the idea being with the valve open the exhaust is louder - but still passes noise requirements but with the valve closed the car is proper quiet for nice cruising/not upsetting everyone when you are just going to get a bottle of mlik from the servo?

aftermarket is a no-no, cant cert or WOF them in NZ,

especially not Driver controlled versions

OEM is fine for 'adjustable Exhaust' actuation

some Legacy GTB's had them and Nissan 300ZX's (ecu controlled)

this may have changed since last time I looked (a few years now)