For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

If a car has been previously certed for motor swap (has old school cert plate) and has had a drive shaft hoop fitted that might not comply with todays rules and I want to cert it for other mods would i have to upgrade hoop to todays rules or is it fine as it was previously certed?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, cletus said:

Depends what it is. If something was certed, and that has not been modified any other way since, and the re cert was for a different aspect of the car, then the previously certified bits don't have to be changed to meet the rules of today. However if something shouldn't have been certified the first time, we have to fail it. 

Example

Little Johnny has a cefiro certed for adjustable suspension, an rfb20det and camouflage door cards. 

Johnnys 20det got a case of the nungers after racing his mates s14 so he put a 25det from a honestly not stolen r33 that his mate jayden got off Facebook marketplace. 

If we do a cert check for Johnny and his suspension is all the same as the previous cert plate, but it has a little bit too much camber, because it was certed prior to that being a requirement, then we don't have to fail it, or the camo door cards.  We just have to check the engine. 

However little Johnny has cut and welded his steering arms shorter with his uncles gasless mig for more hectic drifts . Johnny claims it was like that last time it was certed. This was never allowed so that would have to be failed, even if the previous cert covered it. 

Wordsmith level 9 there Cletus....love your work....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/12/2018 at 12:27, cletus said:

If it has dumb wheels when it gets certified, cert plate will state 'dumb wheels fr+r'

Have to cover all mods present on the vehicle at time of inspection 

Hi Cletus, I am looking to get a car certified soon for an engine/gbox swap and adjustable height suspension. If I get the car certified with the stock wheels on it, then put wider wheels on the car later on, will there be a problem getting a WOF?

10 minutes ago, Italia said:

Hi Cletus, I am looking to get a car certified soon for an engine/gbox swap and adjustable height suspension. If I get the car certified with the stock wheels on it, then put wider wheels on the car later on, will there be a problem getting a WOF?

yes any further mods or changes to the car will need to be re-certed. 

basicly do everything you want to to the car then get it certed. everytime you go back you will have to pay. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the quick reply guys,

Suspected that would be the case, just trying to avoid getting stuck in the loop of waiting till the next modification before getting cert and having a car that takes forever to be road legal.

Just a confusing rule I guess? As changing from stock wheels to aftermarket wheels doesn't require a cert, but changing them once certified requires a re-cert.

• Like 2

Probably been covered a million times before (and my apologies) but can you chuck almost any wheels on a car and not need cert for them alone? But once certed you're bound to the wheels when cert was issued?

Also is it possible to get 2 sets of wheels certified on the same plate?

I'd love to be able to switch back to factory wheels sometimes.  Yes I'm weird.

2 minutes ago, a.craw4d said:

Probably been covered a million times before (and my apologies) but can you chuck almost any wheels on a car and not need cert for them alone?

yes, if they fall within the wof threshold rules

But once certed you're bound to the wheels when cert was issued?

yes

Also is it possible to get 2 sets of wheels certified on the same plate?

yes if they are similar ish sizes, ie you wouldn't be able to cert a set of 13x7 and 20x8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, kws said:

Speaking of certs, is this sort of attachment for the seatbelt OK for cert as long as the bolt meets spec? It mounts to the base that bolts to the floor of the car, and the recaro sliders mount to that base.

Py1re9E.jpg

41thX2k5mKL._SX425_.jpg

sometimes. depends on the manufacturer

25 minutes ago, cletus said:

yes, if they fall within the wof threshold rules

yes

yes if they are similar ish sizes, ie you wouldn't be able to cert a set of 13x7 and 20x8

so I could have 17x8 and 18x9 on the cert plate?

that would open me up to a much bigger range of BMW factory wheels and tyre options long term