For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you possibly fit some sort of front wheel handbrake setup? Subaru's used to run them. 

The danger with an electric handbrake and a manual gearbox is there isn't really any way to know the car is parked when engaging it, potentially locking wheels when driving. It's easy to accidently hit a button but hard to accidentally pull a lever. 

^wat?

never in my driving years have I accidentally hit a button when driving a car.

Manufactuers tend to flush mount the actuating switches and choose locations to avoid accidental actuation 

Must be fairly safe of pretty much every manufacturer is going to electirically actuated parking brakes and , I’d say they’d be much less likely to be actuated by accident than those footwell mounted stamp on E brakes.

if you’ve ever driven anything modern with a electric parking brake, you’ll discover you can still purposely press the button / actuate the parking brake when cars in drive and moving

and there are multiple factory manual vechiles that come with electrically operated parking brakes that you can operate with vechile in gear .

they are there as an ‘emergency brake’ also, not just a parking brake.

On 02/12/2018 at 08:01, ajg193 said:

Could you possibly fit some sort of front wheel handbrake setup? Subaru's used to run them. 

The danger with an electric handbrake and a manual gearbox is there isn't really any way to know the car is parked when engaging it, potentially locking wheels when driving. It's easy to accidently hit a button but hard to accidentally pull a lever. 

Find me a modern car that is capable of locking up the wheels with the handbrake

• Like 1

I'm speaking more from the point that most people who go and implement some sort of electric park brake onto their car aren't going to go to the same lengths as an OEM to make it safe.

I'm sure the OEM setup uses information from multiple sensors before deciding to apply the park brake and how hard to apply it. Old Brian with a modified 85 Skoda probably won't have any of those sensors and would just make it blindly go on full lock when actuated.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not against e-brakes. I was just trying to give a possible reason as to why the LVVTA doesn't like them on manual vehicles.