For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

1 hour ago, Transom said:

Also don't you need at least 20mm clearance between sump and steering rack ? 

Thats the way I read it ?

Aye? Where you seeing that? As far as I know, the rack housing can be as close as you want as long as it can't touch/rub.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Transom said:

Not sure on the exact section but most engine will torque enough to close a 7 mm gap unless solid mounted 

maybe one of our friendly cert dudes will stop by and clarify 

Where are you looking/reading? I've just gone through the car construction manual and the only "clearance" reference I could find related to my situation is the 25mm+ clearance required between steel universals and the exhaust, before you need to have heat shields.

I have some questions about mini suspension....

Amoungst the parts I've aquired this includes a set of aftermarket adjustable set of lower arms and tierod, std they never had this sort of adjustment.  Will this sort of thing need cert?

Also, the rideheight is set by the length of the alloy suspension cones, cutting these down equals more low, any issues here as long at it is all kept captive?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Furai said:

What needs to be done to cert a subframe like this?

https://v8roadsters.com/product/light-weight-subframe-2/

Have you seen the "crapengineering " mx5 subframes from uk ? 

Look as good as v8 roadsters and have many options - I have thought about importing a non painted one and getting it thru TAC approval 

if one passes TAC is that it then all others good to go or is it TAC for every individual subframe ? 

• Like 1

I'm thinking I will weld the engine mounts to the chassis rails/strut tower in the Triumph 2000. Mainly because there isn't enough realestate available on the cross member.

I assume I will need to plate the area I want to weld the mounts to? Yes?

How thick should the plating be? is 1.6mm too thin?

I'm sure I saw a post somewhere with a mount like this ripped out and Cletus said it should have been stitch welded? But I cannot find the post.

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:51, smokin'joe said:

@cletus , what's your take on the legality of a non-welded twin master set-up like this :

image.png.7fcf37a15be536e9fc7cb97ac4064d25.png

as i am going with Wilwood 4-pots on front of Levin, i am thinking a bias system will be easier to tune than mucking around with M/Cylinder sizings .

Fanx

looks pretty good, have not seen one in person but it appears pretty solid

Who makes it?

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:42, Transom said:

Not sure on the exact section but most engine will torque enough to close a 7 mm gap unless solid mounted 

maybe one of our friendly cert dudes will stop by and clarify 

yeah theres no minimum clearance as long as it cant touch under any circumstances, or jam the steering if an engine mount breaks

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 09:22, nzstato said:

I have some questions about mini suspension....

Amoungst the parts I've aquired this includes a set of aftermarket adjustable set of lower arms and tierod, std they never had this sort of adjustment.  Will this sort of thing need cert?

Also, the rideheight is set by the length of the alloy suspension cones, cutting these down equals more low, any issues here as long at it is all kept captive?

yep anything adjustable that wasn't originally, needs cert.

have not seen anyone cut down the cones, only seen people use adjustable ones. if the cone is solid, and you keep the "spring" captive, probably no reason you couldn't shorten it

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:45, Transom said:

Have you seen the "crapengineering " mx5 subframes from uk ? 

Look as good as v8 roadsters and have many options - I have thought about importing a non painted one and getting it thru TAC approval 

if one passes TAC is that it then all others good to go or is it TAC for every individual subframe ? 

each one would require approval individually

unless you did a component approval, but for that to be economical, you would probably have to sell a few

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adoom said:

I'm thinking I will weld the engine mounts to the chassis rails/strut tower in the Triumph 2000. Mainly because there isn't enough realestate available on the cross member.

I assume I will need to plate the area I want to weld the mounts to? Yes?

How thick should the plating be? is 1.6mm too thin?

I'm sure I saw a post somewhere with a mount like this ripped out and Cletus said it should have been stitch welded? But I cannot find the post.

yes would need plating I think 

1.6 is probably a bit light

1 hour ago, cletus said:

looks pretty good, have not seen one in person but it appears pretty solid

Who makes it?

what brand would you prefer !!!

a fella i know is getting them in, and i guess others will be too, unless they are not in fact Chinese, and are made in a by his clever brother in UK?

Hi all, the boy is look at buying a 92 Skyline which is a manual. I downloaded the Jap auction report and that plus the photos show it was originally an auto. Question is does the auto to maunual conversion need to be certified? Btw it has a current VTNZ WOF with the manual gearbox.