For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Nominal said:

Quite a lot? I've sometimes had leaks mentioned but never a fail point.

Thats promising. The leak from my sump gasket is getting fairly bad and my WOF is due soon. Not sure if ill have a chance to change the gasket before i need a wof. Its coated the underside of the engine, and trans in oil. None leaking on exhaust AFAIK.

Its just some rust proofing. Cmon guys.

• Like 1

My Civic got knocked back for a wof a couple of times for oil leaks. When I went to fix it I found that some of the sump bolts were barely finger tight. Might be worth just checking all the sump bolts and giving it a clean. Always assuming that the gasket is not completely rooted of course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, igor said:

My Civic got knocked back for a wof a couple of times for oil leaks. When I went to fix it I found that some of the sump bolts were barely finger tight. Might be worth just checking all the sump bolts and giving it a clean. Always assuming that the gasket is not completely rooted of course.

3 minutes ago, AllTorque said:

Oil leaks.

As long as it’s not going to cause a fire or get on the brakes it shouldn’t fail a wof. 

I had a look in the VIRM and didn't see anything specific about oil/ engine fluid leaks (except fuel/brake fluid)

8 minutes ago, Nominal said:

I had a look in the VIRM and didn't see anything specific about oil/ engine fluid leaks (except fuel/brake fluid)

It falls into the category of anything the inspector seems to be unsafe. 

It cannot be a fail just because it leaks. 

There used to be something about oil leaking onto the exhaust but that was removed. You might get an old boy that will fail that if they haven’t read the virm lately. If there is a lot of oil on the exhaust Iwould fail it. I have seen an oil on exhaust fire before. 

At my very first nzta review ( we do a cert inspection with a reviewer present)  I knocked back a 180sx for a pretty big rear main seal oil leak ( I figured it was dangerous for other road users/ motorcyclists etc ) but I was told there was no rule saying it should fail, so I shouldnt have failed it. 

• Like 1

the parts themselves might be ok, but-

50mm is a lot to lift that type of suspension though. I would recommend you undo your top shock mounts and jack the car up- make sure the strut top can come away from the body more than 50mm and figure out where things bind/run out of travel/cv joints fall out etc

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:58, Carsnz123 said:

I'm back on this idea again. 

What happened about this @cletus

Info-2012%20New%20Scratch-built_Modified

can I put an open speedster body using the original scuttle and bonnet and not have to worry about cert? Mechanicals are original. 

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_02-2013_New_SB_&_Mod_Prod_LVV_definitions.pdf

would need certification, and as for whether it would be modified production or scratch built, you would have to come up with a plan of what you want to build, and have a chat to a local certifier about this part;

"In the case where any doubt exists as to the authenticity of a vehicle, a Category 1D LVV Certifier will inspect and confirm the exact status of the vehicle, and record this through the LVV FS010 Statement of Authenticity (see note [d] of ‘Modified Production’ definition), which will be reviewed and verified by the LVVTA office prior to commencement of the LVV certification process. "

9 hours ago, azzurro said:

im all for saving it, but not as a folly/lost puppy, it needs to be able to get back on the road within a reasonable budget. 

still, even if the budget blows out it will be cheaper than a kombi!

the guy with it isn't a bad joker, we got the Imp Sport off him many many days ago

• Like 1