For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 19:14, kws said:

On the topic of fitting HID bulbs to lights. What about retrofit projectors in old glass headlights?

I want to fit retrofit projectors into the standard SD1 housings, so it wouldn't be using the reflector anymore and then use HID bulbs in the projectors. 

Would that be legal? The lenses have some faint lines cast into them but I can't see it breaking up the beam pattern. 

I don't think it would be.

the LVV standard allows for a headlight to be upgraded by fitting more modern innards in old housings, but this would have been written before HID upgrades were common.

2.2(19)

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Lighting_Equipment.pdf

but then the WOF requirements exclude that situation- note 8 at the bottom of the page

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/headlamps#note8

• Thanks 1

Depends how that particular certifier works. 

Its meant to be 2 months from the date of the inspection, if the whole cert inspection is done and completed 

I would do a partial inspection in the case of something that wasnt finished yet - that way there isnt a set time to get it done in

15 hours ago, cletus said:

I don't think it would be.

the LVV standard allows for a headlight to be upgraded by fitting more modern innards in old housings, but this would have been written before HID upgrades were common.

2.2(19)

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Lighting_Equipment.pdf

but then the WOF requirements exclude that situation- note 8 at the bottom of the page

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/headlamps#note8

Seems to be bit of a grey area then. Note 8 seems to indicate that fitting an HID bulb to a standard light with no modification is illegal, which we already know, but it doesn't seem to imply it would be legal if the lights were modified to accept the HID correctly, only if the whole light is replaced. 

The projector units I have use a very defined cut off so would perform well, and wouldn't have the issues HID bulbs usually have. Maybe I just do it and see how I go. 

Are wound back odometers a ballache for getting imports on the road in NZ. I was inquiring about a car in Japan but the guy warned me to say they couldn't verify the km.

Edit: apparently it might be a customs "prohibited item" if a car has dodgy speedo. Doh! Anyone had experience with this?

Surely the only issue with a wound back speedo is a "buyer beware" scenario, if it being wound back doesn't bother the owner / purchaser then who cares? Probably has to be noted but can't see why it should impinge on importation.

I don't see why it would. A verified odo is more of a maintainance feel good thing. It protects the buyer from purchasing a car that's done 300k rather than the 100k advertised. It becomes an issue with diesel vehicles when the go for a wof and the odo is the same as the last wof though. 

46 minutes ago, V8Pete said:

How are they going to know that it's incorrect?  Unless it looks like it's been rolled, bowled and arseholed/been to the moon and back they probably won't know.

4 hours ago, V8Pete said:

I totally don't get this, from the second link. Makes no sense at all.

New Zealand has strict controls on the importation of tobacco for sale. There is an absolute prohibition in the Smoke-Free Environments Act 1990 on the importation for sale of tobacco, which is suitable for chewing, or any other oral use other than smoking. Approval cannot be given to import chewing tobacco for sale.