For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

I'v got a i'm hoping easy question. 

I'v switched my rims over from steelies to old school alloys. In doing so i'v noticed the alloy rims are far thicker than the steel rims so the wheel lugs don't poke threw as much. 

Whats the good oil on how far a wheel nut or lug needs to go in.. Iv got 14mm wheel lugs and they poke threw the alloys exactly 14mm too... So in my mind the 14mm stud is biting in as much as the width of the lug. 

lugs are VW bug 14mm x 1.5mm lugs not nuts 

Or.... should I be counting turns..... like they need to do up at least 7 full turns... ? 

just want to make sure im not as risk of over stressing the lugs and threads./ wheel falls off. 

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, scooters said:

I'v switched my rims over from steelies to old school alloys. In doing so i'v noticed the alloy rims are far thicker than the steel rims so the wheel lugs don't poke threw as much. 

Whats the good oil on how far a wheel nut or lug needs to go in.. Iv got 14mm wheel lugs and they poke threw the alloys exactly 14mm too... So in my mind the 14mm stud is biting in as much as the width of the lug. 

Or.... should I be counting turns..... like they need to do up at least 7 full turns... ? 

just want to make sure im not as risk of over stressing the lugs and threads./ wheel falls off. 

Pics?

Usually 6-7 turns of thread is acceptable. Its not so much about how far it pokes through the wheel as alot of the Euro cars have a 5-6mm flange - usually from the brake rotor before the threads engage in the hub..

Dont want to go too long either as its common for them bottom out on the hub and hit handbrakes etc

On 20/04/2018 at 11:31, RUNAMUCK said:

Don't go to vtnz. Ever. They are asshats who have a fail.quota. work used to use them too. I loved making small talk in the waiting room and mentioning loudly about the fail quota. Peoples eyes used to get wide.  

I've seen dodgy warrants from vtnz and when I questioned the guy he told me his dodgy mate gave him a warrant and then he went to vtnz to get a reprint the next day so the sticker has a vtnz stamp on it, then offered the car for sale.

Is this even possible?

52 minutes ago, 00quattro00 said:

You will need longer bolts, pretty much all vag cars after the mk2 golf are m14, longer for alloy wheels, dont forget to change back to the short ones for the steel wheels as the longer ones will catch

Thanks mate. We are talking vw bug 1302s .

I just went to the shed and checked about 5.5 turns in the alloys till tight. meh .. just to piss me off . 

26 minutes ago, Get it done said:

I've seen dodgy warrants from vtnz and when I questioned the guy he told me his dodgy mate gave him a warrant and then he went to vtnz to get a reprint the next day so the sticker has a vtnz stamp on it, then offered the car for sale.

Is this even possible?

Yeah its about $10 for a replacement sticker. got one for the bike because I lost the original. had duplicate written on it though. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 17:56, scooters said:

The rule of thumb has always been a minimum thread engagement of one diameter.

• Like 3

As above- rules say 1x thread diameter

Or 7.5 turns

Or- and this isnt in the book but I've used it a few times - if the bolt is flush or past the back face of the hub (which is less than 7.5 turns on some euro cars) then its ok. Heres a golf I looked at today, pic is of the back of the hub flange

20180423_143322.jpg

20180423_143355.jpg

• Like 3

On 21/04/2018 at 19:04, scooters said:

sure sorry. 

YdRoI50.jpg

5y9sm31.jpg

Do I need longer wheel lug bolts ?? Whats the measure of good or no good. 

Also forgot to mention

Make sure the seat of the bolt matches the wheel

Pics dont work any more

but I think you had a picture of a ball seat bolt, if you put those on wheels designed for a normal straight taper bolt, you'e gonna have a bad time. 

Also finding ball seat bolts with the correct radius to match wheels can be a pain in the bottom.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ae85 fiend said:

Hi Clint,

Are these certifiable mate?

Just I run cut and welded arms in my AA60 carina hatch, so was thinking about using these instead.

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86/gtx2-front-lower-control-arms-conversion-s13-spindles

many thanks

liam

Probably ok. Their stuff is usually good quality

Would need a more thorough ($) inspection due to the possible changes in geometry due to s13 spindles/ steering arms etc

1 hour ago, cletus said:

Probably ok. Their stuff is usually good quality

Would need a more thorough ($) inspection due to the possible changes in geometry due to s13 spindles/ steering arms etc

You'd need it up on a hoist before anything else though eh? Currently trying to get mine wired up so can have ya come inspect it. Txted ya about 6 weeks ago about the carina

2 hours ago, cletus said:

Also forgot to mention

Make sure the seat of the bolt matches the wheel

Pics dont work any more

but I think you had a picture of a ball seat bolt, if you put those on wheels designed for a normal straight taper bolt, you'e gonna have a bad time. 

Also finding ball seat bolts with the correct radius to match wheels can be a pain in the bottom.

thanks Clint, I am very lucky these old mags were made for porsche 914.. but fits vw ball wheel bolt spot on. I however need to change to longer wheel bolts. 

Thanks