For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

2 hours ago, ajg193 said:

The (friendly) Barry wouldn't let me out the door, I was halfway out and then he started spurting about how new WoF rules are shit and cars should be inspected every six months and how most people don't check their oil daily.

Not everyone drives a british car these days

/spam

• Like 3

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian Smith (cert guy down here) called up about half an hour ago saying that the car may indeed not need a certification and he has contacted the LVVTA and apparently they are going to have some big meeting over the next few days to decide my fate.

Basically I can collect the car for now, and best case scenario it doesn't need a cert, worst case I have to take it back on Thursday.

• Like 3

I suspect you are the only person on earth who has done a efi swap with no other certable mods, so its probably not been as much of an issue before as they probably just whack it on the cert plate anyway.

Not sure if that deserves a handshake or not.

• Haha 1

question, looking to run my air intake on my van partway through the rear "firewall" and into the passenger compartment with a couple of silicone or rubber joiners, would that pass cert or would it have to be a steel pipe etc. having trouble fitting new motor under seat. there would be no joiners touching sharp metal etc just 2 joiners and some 3" stainless pipe. cheers.

What a fuck around. Still no WoF, cert guy refuses to cert it as it doesn't need a cert.

VTNZ is now saying I need to prove that the power increase is less than 20% - originally they failed me for saying that the EFI is an item that needs a cert, not because of power increase.

All of the dynos in Christchurch seem to be booked out well beyond the time that is left in the VTNZ recheck.

My last hope to get this WoF from VTNZ is to write up an engineering report with some statistics, figures stating that in my professional engineering view the power increase is less than 20% and a letterhead and take that in.

Failing that I will just demand my money back and park my car in front of the doors at VTNZ, stopping people getting their cars in for a WoF.

6 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

I have the brochures. I took the brochures to VTNZ and they said they won't accept that unless I have a signed letterhead from an engineer or a dyno sheet. Good thing I am an engineer.

they will accept manufacturer or importer confirmation

Here is a power curve generated from experimental data for the car:

powercurve.png.aed59e8a910ab721fe784a8c5551c717.png

That is power at the flywheel, based on actual measured fuel consumption and a theoretical thermal efficiency of 25% - which is extremely generous for an old overhead valve engine.

Power for carb engine: 49 kW with 9.0:1 CR

Power for EFI engine: 58 kW with 9.5:1 CR

Power for this engine: 53 kW

Perfectly reasonable numbers.

If they won't accept Toyota brochures, i'd go with asking for money back. I imagine they can ask for what they are. But if you can't get a dyno done (my initial idea was just photoshop one, but they'll keep a copy no doubt), demanding money back due to them ignoring manufacturer supplied information is BS.

• Like 2