For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Just P clip everything (at smaller distances than required) before cert? Cable ties don't sound all that suitable really, even if Toyota used plastic clips originally. Should be easy enough to bolt on p clips to original mounting brackets. Do it once, do it right. my2c

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/9/2018 at 12:03, Bling said:

Just P clip everything (at smaller distances than required) before cert? Cable ties don't sound all that suitable really, even if Toyota used plastic clips originally. Should be easy enough to bolt on p clips to original mounting brackets. Do it once, do it right. my2c

Done with P clipping everything except just need to do one more on the fuel feed hose. Will probably need to pull the carpet out of the car so I can get in there to put a bolt / a self tapper would go straight through the carpet.

So I am wanting to put this front end into my minx it's l200 u  can see were in have cut it off the chassis leating the bottom skin and side skin attached. If I was to remove these parts and reweld a nice bent section out of 5mm plate that I could use to bolt thru and into the minx rails with crush tubes in the rails? Would this pass a certain. ...20180414_145347.thumb.jpg.1cedc93339f19b076a7d2429532b7521.jpg

you probably should get guidance from a certifier IRL and consider buying the relevant chapters of the CCM if you are going to do major mods like this

most things can be done legally but its probably a bit big of a question for the internet

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 09:56, tortron said:

I'm probably no help cos it's a cert from the bad old days, but my fuel pump and efi power has a manual switch

requirements say the fuel pump cant run if the engine is not running,

or if there is no fuel in the tank.

when that rule came into effect, the second part had me a bit confused as I cant remember seeing anything anywhere about any OE fuel pump setups having a low fuel level switch, or how to check if it was functional, as part of a cert check...

till someone said "well if theres no fuel, the engine wont run, so if its wired correctly off the ecu, no problem"

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, cletus said:

requirements say the fuel pump cant run if the engine is not running,

or if there is no fuel in the tank.

when that rule came into effect, the second part had me a bit confused as I cant remember seeing anything anywhere about any OE fuel pump setups having a low fuel level switch, or how to check if it was functional, as part of a cert check...

till someone said "well if theres no fuel, the engine wont run, so if its wired correctly off the ecu, no problem"

So I can use that as an excuse come monday if he asks if the pump is disabled when there is no fuel?

you could try.

I had another look at the virm, and it looks to me like your car shouldn't need a cert for the efi swap, looking in both fuel systems and engine and transmission sections

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/miscellaneous-items/engine-and-transmission

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/miscellaneous-items/fuel-system

1 minute ago, cletus said:

you could try.

I had another look at the virm, and it looks to me like your car shouldn't need a cert for the efi swap, looking in both fuel systems and engine and transmission sections

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/miscellaneous-items/engine-and-transmission

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/miscellaneous-items/fuel-system

Guy at VTNZ says if I can get a signed piece of paper from a certifier saying I don't need a cert for it then he will pass WoF.

Cert guy here in Christchurch says it definitely needs cert as it is a change of induction. He is the only certifier around so I'm not sure if he is just trying to get a fair chunk of money for what I would assume to be a pretty straightforward inspection that may not even be needed.

I could throw you some money via internet banking if you email (and/or post) me a signed piece of paper stating that it doesn't need a certification.

the wording in the modification threshold is vague and probably not as it was intended

( according to that , for a ridiculous arguments sake, you could build a fuel tank out of plywood and it wouldn't need cert if it bolted in to the original mounts etc)

but in this case it works in your favour I think

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

11 minutes ago, cletus said:

the thing is you shouldn't need anyone to write a letter, its in the wof guys own manual- in those links ^

in the section where it lists the mods you can do without the need for a cert

He was like "Yeah, you can modify the fuel injection system but you can't go and swap from Carb to EFI" - pointing at that VIRM.

It says I can change intake manifolds -> Therefore I changed from carb manifold to EFI manfold -> From that point I could put a modified EFI system on it

"Nah man that's not how the law works. You could put a big dumpy and three carbs on and be fine but this is a change of induction"

I've just posted a thread on the LVVTA forum to seek clarification before Monday, hopefully someone responds.

/ I may as well whack a turbo on if the cert cost would be the same

1 hour ago, ajg193 said:

If I can get that on a signed piece of paper then I am happy.

As it stands I can't just tell a WoF or cert guy how to do his job

Open the PDF in the link, print that page and give it to the WoF guy... Job done. 

Quite what an inked scrawl from someone he's never met, is supposed to prove, I don't know.

30 minutes ago, Alfashark said:

Open the PDF in the link, print that page and give it to the WoF guy... Job done. 

Quite what an inked scrawl from someone he's never met, is supposed to prove, I don't know.

WoF guy dragged me to the computer at the time and was showing me those VIRMs and blabbering on about how it doesn't fit in that because it isn't explicitly listed so I can't see printing out the pages or the PDF helping much

Well after paying $56 for a WoF I expect the WoF guy to be fair. I also expect the local cert guy to be honest. Is there any way to claim back the cost of a cert if it turns out that the vehicle didn't need a cert but cert man said it did?