For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 19:13, Toddy415 said:

Similar question to above but fuel injected car been converted to carbs does this need certed? car needs re registered will this cause problems at re reg stage?

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

its pretty vague, the way I read it you could do anything to the fuel system without the need for cert... as long as there is no structural mods, fuel filler was standard, and no fuel type change

• Thanks 1

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, 63Ragtop said:

would it ever be possible to convert a bug to Rack and Pinion?

somethin like this?

1739406.jpg

steering shaft would have to be shortened, universal joint added, tie rods cut to length and gas tank clearanced.

the biggest issue would be the mount for a suitable unit, no weldy weldly??

chur.

mounting of the rack is probably the easiest part, you can weld a rack mount.

there are a lot of other issues though, at the moment there is a lot of manufacturers offering center steer type racks which have fittings and extensions and stuff to get the inner tie rod ends close together enough. this can put loads on the rack much different or worse than the rack was designed for which can cause premature wear or failure. have seen a couple with nearly no kms on them and you can grab the inner tie rod end up and down quite a bit

Image result for center steer rack kit for gm

Image result for flaming river center steer rack

Image result for center steer rack kit for mustang

the attachment of that clamp thing to the rack would be a concern from what I can see, looks like it is just clamped? a setup like that that is a bit outside the norm, would need design approval I would think.

id be surprised if it drove noticeably better than a box in good condition TBH

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cletus said:

shouldn't need cert just for that.

the kicker is though, if you get it certed, and the plate says the engine is standard, then you modify the engine, it wont match what the plate says, and you may run into trouble at wof time.

Ahh.. So the plate would say Mazda rather than Mazda Mod under engine make?

What would the threshold be then for the "mod" tag on the plate?

Correct. 

Would need some sort of modification to the engine to get mod on the plate.

Then you start getting into technicalities of what is a modification that will acheive that, and if its modified post cert then it should be re certed but theres no point because the plate will be the same anyway because individual mods are not listed and nobody will be able to tell bla bla bla

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Carsnz123 said:

Is it a moped or a motorcycle?

A moped has:

two wheels

a maximum speed not exceeding 50km/h, and

either:

an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc, or

a power source other than a piston engine.

For vehicles first registered prior to 1 May 2011

A moped includes a motor vehicle with three wheels, a power output not exceeding 2kW and a maximum speed of 50km/h.

There are definitions for three wheel vehicles registered on or after 1 May 2011. Please contact the NZ Transport Agency for these requirements.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/vehicle-types/motorcycles-and-mopeds/information-for-moped-riders/

I have seen a steam powered motorcycle. Does that count as a piston engine, which it is, or not because not internal combustion?

• Like 1

How does a WOF station determine if an engine produces more than 20% over factory spec and requires cert? Like say you do the whole port/polish, hot cam, better flowing things, ect Can the WOF man go "Na, its making more power go get a cert"? I know if you strap a turbo/supercharger on that is grounds for cert. Even an already turbo car. Wind the boost up, bigger injectors, retune, lots more power. Can the vehicle be chucked out on the inspector suspecting it makes more power? 

@igor I have no clue what a steam powered bike gets classed as. 

But how many wof guys nowadays would pick that the engine in your Mini is a 1098 instead of the 848 it came with? My wof guy had a Mini in the shop a while ago and we got sharning and discovered I'd done more engine changes on them than he had. 

I would imagine vws would be one of the easier ones to get away with a bigger engine, as you would have to be pretty clued up on them to know the difference between a 1200/1300/1500

Chev v8s are a bit the same. Look very similar from 265 up to 400 cubes especially once they dont have the original valve covers or intakes

I'm wanting to increase the engine power on my S12.  It was certed with the current motor but I plan on adding bigger injectors, afm and a Nistune board and taking it for a tune.  Does it need to be recerted because of power increase?

Engine is a S14 SR20DET, at time of cert it had exhaust, intercooler, s15 turbo, and a boost controller set up.