si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Tried the lvvta forum?

Just signed up there now, waiting for approval.

I don't really want to ask all over the place as I will probably end up just coming across as a wingeing bastard trying to skirt the law. TBH a cert is most likely the best thing to do.

What’s the deal with stretched tires in a wof? Gaylord of a previous owner of my shitbox mx5 put new wheels on it with slightly stretched tires. 

The tires just fall out of the spec for an 8” wheel as per the lvvta chart (195/55r15).

will this be pulled up in a wof? They aren’t stanceworks hella flush stretch but noticeable. 

Has it been certed? I guess not.

Here's rules

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/tyres,-wheels-and-hubs/tyres-and-wheels

It looks like it depends on whether the inspector. The LVVTA threshold for tyres:

Fitting of or modification to: LVV Certification is not required provided that: 
Tyre size changes : the tyres have an outer rolling circumference that is not more than 5% greater than OE;
and are an appropriate selection for rim width; and
have tread that does not extend beyond the original or modified body panels or guard extension

So, if they look too stretched to the inspector they could/should fail you or send for a cert (which wouldn't be obtainable with that size it seems).

Suck it and see I reckon.

Don't take it to Roger though as he will read this :)

• Like 2

I believe this has been gone over before and the offset is measured at the cert but it is not on the tag although because the data has been recorded it can be investigated if required.

I could be confusing that with something else in the process though.  I'm sure clint will confirm or deny.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kyteler said:

I believe this has been gone over before and the offset is measured at the cert but it is not on the tag although because the data has been recorded it can be investigated if required.

Pretty much this. The allowable offset for cert is now heeeaps so it's not often a problem 

1 hour ago, Carsnz123 said:

as far as I'm aware its just the size on the cert plate. As a side note you can put any wheels on a car as long as they are marked as being from a reputable manufacturer, don't contact anything, and don't have a rolling diameter larger or smaller than 5% of factory. 

If you are talking about an un certed car, there is also a limit on track width increase of 25mm.

Have also heard of more cops/ wof inspectors using the lvv info sheet for minimum tyre width when looking at a car

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 63Ragtop said:

Certainly caught me out.

145/65/15 to narrow for 5.5" wide rim.

Smallest on the chart is 165/65/15 =4-6" wide.

Fuck it.

Look up the actual tyre manufacturer specifications. I quickly looked it up on my phone and the toyo one I found suggested 4-5" rim width. So your ones might luck out with an extra half inch? 

Manufacturer specifications trump wof inspectors.

• Like 3

I did take it to the tyre shop and he thought that they are ok he gave me the number of their tech department, but when I rang, they just read from the LTSAs spec sheet.

5' inch is all I could find on line, that what the tyres fit on a smart car.

Anyway tyres are the least of my worries, the letters L V and V have been said in quick succession.

Again, fuck it.

• Sad 1