For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Is anyone able to give me the rundown on border inspections when registering an import? I've got a motorcycle which was brought back into NZ last year by the previous owner.

I understand the bike needed to have a border check to be registered. The previous owner is trying to find this paperwork for me.
Worse case scenario, is it possible to confirm a border check by checking the chassis number in the system? 

EDIT: Can probably ignore/delete this. Have just seen the re-registering thread. 

Edited by kdotlowe

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, kdotlowe said:

Is anyone able to give me the rundown on border inspections when registering an import? I've got a motorcycle which was brought back into NZ last year by the previous owner.

I understand the bike needed to have a border check to be registered. The previous owner is trying to find this paperwork for me.
Worse case scenario, is it possible to confirm a border check by checking the chassis number in the system? 

EDIT: Can probably ignore/delete this. Have just seen the re-registering thread. 

If it has the bill of lading, and overseas title and dereg papers etc, then you can apply for an exemption from border inspection.

Most likely, it has been border inspected, in which case, the frame number (or engine number) should be in LANDATA system. Ring up or go into a VINZ station and ask them to check.
If it's in LANDATA then you're golden, it means its been border checked. If its not, then fill out one of these and pay 184 bux and get a letter saying go hard. (They could refuse it, but they probably wont).

Most important is you have ownership trail to you, bill of lading (proof when and how it came to NZ) and overseas de-reg document (To prove it wasnt stolen overseas).

Have been through this, so this is 1st hand experience. I had everything except the boarder check, which i assume it just had never been entered, or entered incorrectly into LANDATA. Got the exemption approval, and re-reg was a piece of piss. Ring a ding ding.

• Like 2

Thanks @Goat.

Here's what I currently have:
- ownership papers from Canada (of the owner I purchased it from)
- declaration that the bike has been sold to me

I phone NZTA and they've confirmed that the chassis number has not been border checked. So I'm assuming that I will require the bill of lading (which I'm waiting on the prev owner to supply). I potentially jumped the gun on this purchase, but I'm hoping the previous owner can supply those docs... otherwise I guess I'm shit outta luck! Unless there's another way?

There will be ways, there is an alternate documents forms here. This gives you "permission" to register something if you are missing any of the vitals. Basically, you just write your sob story, and someone, somewhere has a read and is all "Yeah/Nah" and gives you a piece of paper allowing the NZTA agent to add it to the system without any further questions.

I doub't for something like your bike, that they'd give a shit. You have most of the paperwork. So will probably be sweet. But won't know until you have dumped 184 bux at the form however. There's a checklist in the form of things you need. Have to provide photos, and an offical entry compliance person must physically sight the frame and engine numbers.

You have half of it, if the dude can't find bill of lading, then you will need to use the above form, and it will probably be sweet.

Its such a fucking grey area, god damn the whole NZ vehicle registration system is so Michael mouse. All depends on the mood of the womble you get on the day. And nobody you speak to has any fucking clue what they're doing, or what the process is. A shame really. Its not rocket appliances.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Goat said:

Its such a fucking grey area, god damn the whole NZ vehicle registration system is so Michael mouse. All depends on the mood of the womble you get on the day.

Ain't that the truth! Thanks heaps for your help. That's reassuring. I'll throw some money and jump through some hoops and see where it goes!

Cheers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goat said:

There will be ways, there is an alternate documents forms here. This gives you "permission" to register something if you are missing any of the vitals. Basically, you just write your sob story, and someone, somewhere has a read and is all "Yeah/Nah" and gives you a piece of paper allowing the NZTA agent to add it to the system without any further questions.

I doub't for something like your bike, that they'd give a shit. You have most of the paperwork. So will probably be sweet. But won't know until you have dumped 184 bux at the form however. There's a checklist in the form of things you need. Have to provide photos, and an offical entry compliance person must physically sight the frame and engine numbers.

You have half of it, if the dude can't find bill of lading, then you will need to use the above form, and it will probably be sweet.

Its such a fucking grey area, god damn the whole NZ vehicle registration system is so Michael mouse. All depends on the mood of the womble you get on the day. And nobody you speak to has any fucking clue what they're doing, or what the process is. A shame really. Its not rocket appliances.

This is good to know.

my dad may have lost some of his documentationwhen the 2011 eq destroyed his house.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 14:18, Goat said:

I think Google may have saved me here. I somehow managed to find bill of landing details with a few minutes of creepy googling.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Seedy Al said:

He has a hoist setup in the corner of Graham kidds workshop in upper hutt, behind the Yamaha dealer. Been there may be 6 months now coming over once a week doing certs. Made it a lot easier doing my crown cert that's for sure. 

Awesome, that makes it easier for me too being on this side of the hill.

13 hours ago, Seedy Al said:

He has a hoist setup in the corner of Graham kidds workshop in upper hutt, behind the Yamaha dealer. Been there may be 6 months now coming over once a week doing certs. Made it a lot easier doing my crown cert that's for sure. 

Dang it. Cheers Autos, is 3 minutes up the road from my house. Buuut, it's only open while I am at work.

Is it true you can't have  A pillar mounted gauges? I want to run oil pressure and temp gauges in my Senator as I don't want to mount them on the dash or anywhere in the dash. Young bucks at work are saying illegal. 

• Like 1