For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

This has probably been asked before so my apologies for the repeat. I have bought a car which has been retrofitted with a factory turbocharged engine and needs cert. When it goes for cert for the engine conversion will they also certify the wheel size and the ride height? Can I certify the engine and then lower it and fit aftermarket mags later or will this require another cert? Thinking I may be best to spend the coin at the start and do wheels and suspension at the same time?

Also on a side note, if I cert the car on 16x8's for instance and then decide I want to change the look of the car and fit 18's, is this legal or can I get fined/stickered etc as the wheels are a different size to what's printed on the cert plate? 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cert covers everything that has been done. If you change something (that would require cert or void the existing cert) then you need new cert.

So to answer your questions,

48 minutes ago, chasinthemirage said:

This has probably been asked before so my apologies for the repeat. I have bought a car which has been retrofitted with a factory turbocharged engine and needs cert. When it goes for cert for the engine conversion will they also certify the wheel size and the ride height? Yes.  Can I certify the engine and then lower it and fit aftermarket mags later or will this require another cert? Yes it would require re-cert, so do it all at once. Thinking I may be best to spend the coin at the start and do wheels and suspension at the same time? Yes.

Also on a side note, if I cert the car on 16x8's for instance and then decide I want to change the look of the car and fit 18's, is this legal or can I get fined/stickered etc as the wheels are a different size to what's printed on the cert plate?   If you change the wheel size then technically its not legal. But Im pretty sure people do this often and no one notices.

• Like 2

Cheers that works for me - I have the size wheels I want but not the perfect old set of wheels in that size yet 

I know there are issues when people get jacked hiluxes certed on wide 33s then put stock wheels back on and wonder why they fall over on corners 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cletus said:

Only rim diameter and width is recorded on the plate.

We have to record the tyre size on the plate order form but it doesn't get put on the plate

Oh real? Wonder where I've heard that from then, I thought it was this thread.

4 hours ago, igor said:

Based on that I should have got a cert on my Civic when I swapped the factory 12" steel rims for 13" steels from a slightly later car. 

From memory isn't the rules that you can go two inchs bigger on diameter legally? Not that it is ever in forced lol.

• 2 weeks later...

is there a legal limit to the amount of flexible fuel hose you can use? 

the old fuel line went from the mechanical fuel pump on the left rear of the engine straight over the rocker cover diagonally into the fuel regulator, then onto the carb. 

i want to run it rearwards out of the pump, right acorss the firewall then forwards along the passenger inner wing, cable tying it to the loom, then into the regulator. this would be about 1m of hose. 

its 5/16 proper fuel line, and as far away form any heat as i can get it. 

thanks. 

pink dots are the current routing, yellow is where i want it to go 

fuel_line.jpg

21 hours ago, Firetruck said:

I need to add some camber adjustment to the Wakas trailing arms, which will require fabbing some new brackets to accommodate cam bolts. Does this need to be tigged, or can I get away with mig?

If it's welding to the subframe, mig is fine.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, MightyJoe said:

is there a legal limit to the amount of flexible fuel hose you can use? 

the old fuel line went from the mechanical fuel pump on the left rear of the engine straight over the rocker cover diagonally into the fuel regulator, then onto the carb. 

i want to run it rearwards out of the pump, right acorss the firewall then forwards along the passenger inner wing, cable tying it to the loom, then into the regulator. this would be about 1m of hose. 

its 5/16 proper fuel line, and as far away form any heat as i can get it. 

thanks. 

pink dots are the current routing, yellow is where i want it to go 

Yep that's find as long as it is secured every 300 mm.  There is a rule in some motorsport code, cant remember which one, about a maximum amount of rubber hose, but not for cert.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Firetruck said:

I need to add some camber adjustment to the Wakas trailing arms, which will require fabbing some new brackets to accommodate cam bolts. Does this need to be tigged, or can I get away with mig?

What is this on? Bmw?