For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 22:42, Furai said:

Whats the dealio with tube subframes or welding new engine mount pick ups to stock subframe?

Does it need to be approved or crack tested? Or is it more as long as it looks strong etc its fine?

Depends. If it's got the suspension pick up points on it then it needs design approval. 

If it's just a subframe that mounts the engine then no approval necessary.

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 16:53, grant76 said:

If replacing diff in a 1982 b310 datsun sunny with a diff out of a 1982 s110 silvia, it uses all same mounting points, same suspension arms, brake lines, brake pedal, same width and master cylinder so no physical modification to any of the brake and suspension system, but changes from drum rear to disk brake rear would this need a cert (i think it probably would but thought i better confirm first)

Yes would need cert.

On 5/28/2017 at 17:57, cletus said:

Depends. If it's got the suspension pick up points on it then it needs design approval. 

If it's just a subframe that mounts the engine then no approval necessary.

Yes would need cert.

So MX5 would defo need one, is approval easy thing to do with pictures or mock up photos/drawings?

IMG_0224.jpg

Not sure whether to post this here or in tech spam. My eldest has decided it might be fun to put the 4.1 crossflow from my rusty XC into my '51 Vanguard. Is he completely crazy or is this a sensible course of action? If by some remote chance we actually did it how carried away would we have to get with brake upgrades etc? The original drum brakes are pretty big cos 16" wheels. I'm not convinced that the Vanguard diff would be up to the job either. If we swapped in a Falcon diff we'd be sweet for that if the width was suitable. Do any of you know if Standard Triumph five stud is the same as Ford? The Vanguard isn't here for me to measure it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Furai said:

So MX5 would defo need one, is approval easy thing to do with pictures or mock up photos/drawings?

IMG_0224.jpg

So you are making a new tube subframe that the suspension bolts to?

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_01_2016_LVV_Custom_Independent_Front_and_Rear_Suspension_Approval_Application_Guide.pdf

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/shop/chapter-4-build-approval-process/

I have a VS 215 Senator which has already been certed for engine mods wheels and suspension. I want to upgrade the brakes so am I right all the previous mods need to be recertified plus the brake upgrade? Or do they just issue a new cert plate with the brake changes added.

New cert plate, stuff already certified gets a quick once over to make sure it is certed correctly /safe but we don't have to do a proper inspection on previously certed things, just what has been modified since the last cert

• Like 1

Not really, you will need a certifier to do the cert plate, and a tsda to do the chassis number stuff. Might make it easier if you contact them first ie don't remove them yourself 

Nostalgia motors can do both

On 19/05/2017 at 17:53, grant76 said:

If replacing diff in a 1982 b310 datsun sunny with a diff out of a 1982 s110 silvia, it uses all same mounting points, same suspension arms, brake lines, brake pedal, same width and master cylinder so no physical modification to any of the brake and suspension system, but changes from drum rear to disk brake rear would this need a cert (i think it probably would but thought i better confirm first)

I would say "fieldings the place"  with regards to this swap. But do be aware you're going to have to shorten your drives haft to suit the H165 diff. They protrude further forward from the centerline of the axles than the h150 your 310 would had had factory.