For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

35 minutes ago, Carsnz123 said:

you know I never knew that button was there. back on topic slightly. @Seedy Al why convert from (I'm assuming) live axle and leaves to IRS. Crown wagons aren't fast enough to benefit from the improved cornering. Unless its Massive turbo 2JZ-GTE.  

For the max low/camber without impeding the wagon area inside the cabin.

edit: Beaten

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 13:41, mjrstar said:

I have just removed the adjustable suspension from one of my cars, its certed for that and a bunch of other stuff too.

Is the wof man going to tell me to refit my aftermarket suspension (i have other track cars now and am enjoying actually having some suspension travel too). Or complain that the height listed on the cert plate doesn't match actual height?

Cheers 

If the other stuff that is still in it requires cert, ie engine mods, you will need a new cert plate that still has those mods on it.

Usually if you are removing a mod, it's cheaper because it's just a plate reprint plus the cert guys time.

What sort of suspension did it have? Another option may be a new set at the same height but a bit softer...

3 hours ago, Seedy Al said:

Clint,

Whats the deal with chassis mods?

If I were to say, buy the back section of a chassis that is IRS, and stitch it to the rest of my chassis in my Crown wagon (talking solid chassis cars here) whats the legal requirements?

I assume fish plates, but thoughts?

Yep that's do able

In basic terms, cut, butt weld it together, plates over the join. If you go ahead with it I can provide more info but it's pretty easy.

You should be able to leave 60% of the original chassis so it doesn't become a scratch built 

20 minutes ago, cletus said:

If the other stuff that is still in it requires cert, ie engine mods, you will need a new cert plate that still has those mods on it.

Usually if you are removing a mod, it's cheaper because it's just a plate reprint plus the cert guys time.

What sort of suspension did it have? Another option may be a new set at the same height but a bit softer...

Bugger the other stuff is brake upgrade and wheels.

It is some decent aragosta inverted strut gear, i could try some softer springs I guess.  Might even get away putting the rears in the front and just buying some rears.

Thanks.

Here's a quickie. Did a search but couldn't find any solid answers. 

Battery in boot. MK2 Golf hatchback. What are the rules? At the moment it's just stilling there clamped to the floor. I understand that it needs to be in a box - is this just a generic plastic box from Repco or whatever? Thanks in advance.

Clamped to the floor, and vented to outside passenger compartment, either via a sealed box vented outside, or use the vent holes with a tube to outside, like oe on a lot of euro cars. Cable needs to be secured and not sit on sharp edges,and if it's not in a box I would suggest something over the terminals to prevent ergs escaping in a violent manner

• Like 1

On 28 April 2017 at 15:32, Seedy Al said:

Clint,

Whats the deal with chassis mods?

If I were to say, buy the back section of a chassis that is IRS, and stitch it to the rest of my chassis in my Crown wagon (talking solid chassis cars here) whats the legal requirements?

I assume fish plates, but thoughts?

When I did this to the e30 I also needed a printout from a digital chassis aligner/laser thingy showing it was all still square and straight. Was pretty easy in the end except there aren't many panel shops equipped with one. 

Holy shit @cletus you are a legend, I have just been back through the last couple of pages and I see you have answered pretty much all if not every question. Fucking solid.

Here is my question;

I am looking at importing a 1997 ish 4wd Dyna single cab as a work vehicle, I would like something bigger than the 4wd single cab townace that I run now. I am looking at importing mostly because there are not many of these in NZ it seems.

This is the sort of thing; http://www.beforward.jp/toyota/toyoace/bf625867/id/749044/

Now I am pretty sure this could not be complied on a COF due to the brake and emissions requirements, but as the weight is only 1750kg, could this be complied as a WOF vehicle?

Also it would generally be good to know the right sites to look at, beforward was just the first likely one I saw when I googled.

• Like 2

if the gvm is under 3500kg then it can be wof, and if it's over 20 years old you don't have to worry about any emission standards

If it's less than 20 years old, I'm not sure what the requirements are, but its more difficult / has to be much newer if it's a diesel etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cletus said:

Clamped to the floor, and vented to outside passenger compartment, either via a sealed box vented outside, or use the vent holes with a tube to outside, like oe on a lot of euro cars. Cable needs to be secured and not sit on sharp edges,and if it's not in a box I would suggest something over the terminals to prevent ergs escaping in a violent manner

Would a fully sealed agm style battery pass without sealed box ? (Mx5 battery in boot stock not sealed from cabin) 

If instead of trying to make a whole chassis cut and irs work on my crown,  what's the deal with air bags verse camber if I were to use a gx71 setup which tends to tow in due to being a trailing arm setup instead of a wishbone set up?

1 hour ago, ThePog said:

That one in the link is 20 years and 2 months old, so yea...

be careful with Dyna's, Toyota doesn't/hardly carries oem parts for commercial. 

there's not a lot aftermarket either

soz off topic

2 minutes ago, Mof said:

be careful with Dyna's, Toyota doesn't/hardly carries oem parts for commercial. 

soz off topic

Well I spoke to the man at Nelson truck spares about them today, he reckoned they were by far the best of that type of beast, then he brought out the catalogue with that specific model and all the oem parts he could get for them so there is that...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Seedy Al said:

If instead of trying to make a whole chassis cut and irs work on my crown,  what's the deal with air bags verse camber if I were to use a gx71 setup which tends to tow in due to being a trailing arm setup instead of a wishbone set up?

AFAIK you only need to get a wheel alignment report at ride height - that's all I did anyway. That height is then stamped on the cert plate.

• Like 1