For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

3 minutes ago, chris r said:

My old c10 was 6 stud but only half ton. Might be alright could be a expensive gamble haha. 

just chuck the year/make/model into google, should tell you precisely what the gvm is, cutoff is 3500kg all up?? pretty heavy anyway, and doubt there'd be a special uprated version of the sub, can only fit so much in em/mpv of the 70s

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, doullama said:

just chuck the year/make/model into google, should tell you precisely what the gvm is, cutoff is 3500kg all up?? pretty heavy anyway, and doubt there'd be a special uprated version of the sub, can only fit so much in em/mpv of the 70s

I have been googling etc but when the ad says 73 van without looking at it etc there isn't a easy way of know of checking. Don't want to waste peoples time asking them to look it over etc. Can get 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton stiff that externally looks the same 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chris r said:

I have been googling etc but when the ad says 73 van without looking at it etc there isn't a easy way of know of checking. Don't want to waste peoples time asking them to look it over etc. Can get 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton stiff that externally looks the same 

Should be decodable from the spid in the glovebox  (if its survived)

• Like 1

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_08-2012_Re-issue_of_LVV_Certification_Threshold_Schedule.pdf

A gearbox substitution that requires modification or replacement of the brake pedal requires certification.  For example, it is common to replace the original brake pedal with a brake and clutch assembly when changing from an auto to a manual gearbox.

how are you doing the clutch?

Yeh what he said. On paper it might no require a cert to simply change the box and put in a clutch, but I doubt you would get away with leaving in the original brake pedal (massive) in anyway/who does that.

But if it helps you sleep at night, then yes, you are "correct" Yowzer.

• Like 2

I have the original pedal in place and it causes no issue. I swapped the box in last year but I'm due a WOF soon.

The box itself is a non-issue from a legal point of view considering I have chopped springs and RCAs, I just need to prove to my workmates that I do in fact know what I'm talking about and that they are wrong.

Cert not required if

the OE gearbox cross-member has not been heated, cut, or welded; and

the OE gearbox cross-member mounting to the OE body or chassis members is unchanged; and

no replacement gearbox cross-member is used; and

the OE drive-shaft(s) remain and is un-modified; and

no substantial modifications have occurred to the floor or gearbox tunnel area, other than provision for gear-shift mechanism; and

the braking system is not modified or changed, including the brake pedal

Also, Cletus said

" the trap is, if you put a manual spec brake pedal, pedal box, or mod the brake pedal, then it needs cert "

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a copy of the New Zealand Car Construction Manual? I'm looking for the requirements for a modified brake pedal pushrod. My car has had the booster changed when the engine was swapped as the OE booster wouldn't clear one of the heads on the new motor. The original pedal end of the pushrod has been butt welded to the end of the Mitsi booster. It's been that way for 20 something years but looking at the weld without a sleeve or anything on it gives me the shits.  What are the requirements for a modified pushrod? Does it need to be sleeved and plug welded or do I need to have a one piece pushrod turned by someone?

It was me that was chatting about it with Clint .

Your only option really is to cut off the original end of the pushrod and then run a die over the pushrod so that it can screw into your new fitting..I did this on mine.

PS, have a look at all the information online (freely available on the lvvta website) 

20160226_125944_1.jpg

Bummer. I had a feeling that I'd seen this somewhere before. The car has a declaration form not LVVTA Cert so maybe welded was okay back in the day? Both pushrods are almost the same size so screwing them into each other isn't really an option. I've had a look on the LVVTA site but will have to purchase the relevant section of the Construction manual as the LVVTA website says to refer to that. Why do I do this to myself?!

EDIT. NM just bought the book. :compress:

Stepping out of my comfort zone a little.

From my time with 4wds I'm fairly sure you can make new rear trailing arms/panhard bars etc without much trouble (well..Compared to trying to weld a master cylinder pushrod lol)

What if you are making the trailing arms from chromolly?

What if you are changing from leaf to 3 link ;one link each side (from diff to forward leaf mount) + central tq arm. 

Will I need to provide crack test certificates (there will be threaded spuds welded into ends of control arms and lots of welding on tq arm) 

Will I need to provide material certs? A weld procedure? Sit a welding test?  Etc etc etc 

I built my own triangulated 4-link for the Mercury. No tests needed, but I did use the specified sch 80 pipe (heavy car) and drilled inspection holes for the threaded ends. I did all the welding myself, including the adjustable ends.

I do know the certifier through the Hot Rod club, so I guess he thought I could weld OK. 

p1070371.jpg

p1070372.jpg

• Like 4