For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Clint,

Was told today by a customer, that other than a car having a declaration papers with it, there's no way of identifying if that car actually has a "declaration plate"? 

I thought surely this is a bit of barry sharn, must be some flag or something that comes up in the system when it comes in for wofs - Id imagine something like that for certs too? 

• Like 1

He's probably correct ,  the old declaration papers were only to prove that the vehicle was modified prior to the cert rules coming in, and as far as i know there was no 'system' to put them on

certs done now are put on Landata though so testing stations can access it, not sure about regular wof places 

12 hours ago, cletus said:

40mm is the guideline in the book for bumpstop clearance although that depends on a few things, sometimes you can get away with less

75 mm sounds excessive to me, what sort of car is it?

Thanks for reply

RX2,

With 50mm lower arm spacer i will have 65mm arm flange to stop mounting flange (travel will be 65mm less thickness of after market bump stop when i get some - maybe 10mm thick?). So plenty i guess, thought I would need more. 

Might be better to remove that bumpstop completely and put one on the shock instead,  then you don't need a rca spacer as big. 

Bump stop should be around 25mm in height, lvvta banned those little short 'button' bump stops, they never set a minimum thickness though

• Like 1

Bilstein Coilovers for a euro car that are only adjustable from 30mm to 50mm drop (lowest point still >100mmm), come with matched springs and TUV Certification documentation. Would you still need a cert just because they are adjustable, when you could fit fixed springs with the same or more drop and not need one? reading the info sheet tells me yes still need a cert, my engineer brain tells me this is no different to fixed springs as everything is still within factory suspension travel range and has an official bilstein document that this setup is safe.

On 1/10/2017 at 14:07, kyteler said:

Swap the strut tops?

On 1/10/2017 at 21:08, cletus said:

This would be the best idea

otherwise you could re drill, your pic doesn't work for me but you may have to do some strengthening, ie just as an idea you could cut a 3mm disc that fits up under the strut tower, plug weld it through the un used holes then drill your new holes

We ended up getting the factory strut top to bolt to the top of the coilover no worries and its all still captured so it worked out in the end. Otherwise he was going to but new strut tops which were real pricey. 

Next question though is that when he got the car someone at somestage has redrilled the front passenger side shock tower so the could get more camber on that side (im guessing they were adjusting for road crown when there is no factory camber adjustment/drill some holes, she'll be right)

He has never had a problem with WOF's but could it be something that needs to be plugged up before cert? Its not really noticeable but wants to cover all base's

22 hours ago, CUL8R said:

Hey Clint,

Was told today by a customer, that other than a car having a declaration papers with it, there's no way of identifying if that car actually has a "declaration plate"? 

I thought surely this is a bit of barry sharn, must be some flag or something that comes up in the system when it comes in for wofs - Id imagine something like that for certs too? 

The LVVTA has copies of all the declarations submitted when the new cert regs came in in 92, just contact  them.

When I requested they sent me a photocopy of a deceleration I lodged 25 years ago, it still had my handwriting on it.....scary!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Seedy Al said:

Shit thats the first time I have heard that.  I wonder how many cars out there have a declaration and people don't know it haha.

Yes it blew me away completely; they were very helpful and sent me a laminated smaller sized copy to keep in the glove-box.

The service was that good it almost made me feel guilty for giving the officious little sods such a hard time when they insisted I fill one out in 1992!  :badgrin: