For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Hi there I'm buying a 1980 jeep j20 6.2 diesel, it has the usual rust in the cab from sitting outside. A guy in hamilton makes fibreglass cabs for these and I'm quite interested. 

Whats the go with getting one certified? He said they put steel in for all the mounts etc but said they need extra if you want to use it on the rd, do they need a roll bar type arrangement? is it a bitch\costly exercise? don't want a jungle gym to get into.

cheers max

• Like 2

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/29/2016 at 7:44 AM, oldrx said:

Can I machine away small part of front hubs? Bit of them show through gaps in aftermarket wheels, looks rude as shit.

would need to see what you want to do, would not be able to if it weakens it in any way

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Hi there I'm buying a 1980 jeep j20 6.2 diesel, it has the usual rust in the cab from sitting outside. A guy in hamilton makes fibreglass cabs for these and I'm quite interested. 

Whats the go with getting one certified? He said they put steel in for all the mounts etc but said they need extra if you want to use it on the rd, do they need a roll bar type arrangement? is it a bitch\costly exercise? don't want a jungle gym to get into.

cheers max

the main problem is it would become a new scratchbuilt vehicle, so would have to meet all the requirements of a new build

http://lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_02-2013_New_SB_&_Mod_Prod_LVV_definitions.pdf

• Like 1

On 12/21/2016 at 10:25 AM, ~Slideways~ said:

Hi, can you tell me if I'm up shit creek with a modified/cut radiator support on my 1990 NZ New S13?

This model was no airbag, no ABS and obviously over 20y/o.

It was like that went I bought the rolling body, but it works well since I have a long engine in there now. I do have a spare support that could be welded in, but it would make it very hard to fit a radiator and fan.

nah should be ok, may need some strengthening to make it as strong as it was originally

I have a lead on an MGBGT I can get essentially for free. Was imported from the US about 20 years ago and converted to RHD but NEVER been complied or seen by any authority here. The only bit of paperwork we can dig up is the registration certificate from North Carolina. Is it a lost cause? I haven't been able to find an answer on the Land Transport website. Maybe someone on here has been through something similar?

Hey everyone. Friend of mine is doing a s13 suspension conversion on his r31 skyline. All the componants and parts a bolt in except for the rear struts. Reason is the r31 has 3 bolts for the strut top as the s13 uses 2.

My question is, can we mark out and drill 2 new holes in the strut tower to install the strut in or is this considered a big no no?

S13 redrillstruttowersmall1jy.jpg

Thought I would check before we make swiss cheese out of a strut tower

Clint 

I have a mate wanting to put a jag front end in a old dodge truck. He has been told that this will make it a scratch build. IS this correct. Can you do the certification on this? 

HE is an engineer with all the correct equipment to do it correctly. just wanting to know if the information he has been given is correct. 

Thanks. 

6 hours ago, kyteler said:

Swap the strut tops?

This would be the best idea

otherwise you could re drill, your pic doesn't work for me but you may have to do some strengthening, ie just as an idea you could cut a 3mm disc that fits up under the strut tower, plug weld it through the un used holes then drill your new holes

6 hours ago, Mr Vapour said:

Clint 

I have a mate wanting to put a jag front end in a old dodge truck. He has been told that this will make it a scratch build. IS this correct. Can you do the certification on this? 

HE is an engineer with all the correct equipment to do it correctly. just wanting to know if the information he has been given is correct. 

Thanks. 

Not if he uses the original dodge chassis, it would still be a modified old dodge truck.

If he makes a new chassis or used a chassis from something else then it would be a 2017 lvvta dodge truck replica

it does require a certifier with 1D which is the same category as a scratch built car needs. I would recommend he gets the relevant hobby car manual chapters as it will need a bit of work, extra crossmembers etc. You can buy the individual chapters now which makes it cheaper

I have that category so can do that level of cert

• Like 1

On 10/01/2017 at 21:15, cletus said:

Not if he uses the original dodge chassis, it would still be a modified old dodge truck.

If he makes a new chassis or used a chassis from something else then it would be a 2017 lvvta dodge truck replica

it does require a certifier with 1D which is the same category as a scratch built car needs. I would recommend he gets the relevant hobby car manual chapters as it will need a bit of work, extra crossmembers etc. You can buy the individual chapters now which makes it cheaper

I have that category so can do that level of cert

Thanks I will pass on your details