For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, it does seem that way.

There must be a good reason for it (rather than saying "including the brake pedal unless the brake pedal is an unmodified OEM pedal" or whatever would be sensible wording). But without knowing that reason the change to the rules is literally the dumbest thing I have seen this week.

While I am posting...

... does anyone know if lengthening the chassis on a heavy vehicle is a big deal or easy to do (I see a need to lengthen frame, prop shaft, lines and wires and stuff) and easy to get approved (assuming its a fairly modest extension and a derating of GVM would actually be a good thing if needed).

It wasn't a change of rules, more a clarification of what was already there that nobody paid any attention to

I'm guessing it's because nobody can be sure there isn't a difference between manual and auto brake pedals on every single car, and brakes are fairly important

• Like 1

General blanket rule to cover the possibilities that some cars may have different brakes, master cylinder sized between manual and auto and therefore different strength pedals or some random crap that will probably never happen but covering arses in case a pedal does snap off for some silly reason.

Also covers user error, if some numpty uses a paper clip to retain the pedal pin that then falls out later.

• Like 1

There must be a good reason for it But without knowing that reason the change to the rules is literally the dumbest thing I have seen this week.

If you've seen some of the home/hackjobs I have from people attempting automotive DIY, you'd be pretty thankful they're not allowed to change the brake pedal, factory bolt in or otherwise.
  • Like 1

There must be a good reason for it (rather than saying "including the brake pedal unless the brake pedal is an unmodified OEM pedal" or whatever would be sensible wording). But without knowing that reason the change to the rules is literally the dumbest thing I have seen this week.

While I am posting...

... does anyone know if lengthening the chassis on a heavy vehicle is a big deal or easy to do (I see a need to lengthen frame, prop shaft, lines and wires and stuff) and easy to get approved (assuming its a fairly modest extension and a derating of GVM would actually be a good thing if needed).

speak to a heavy vehicle certifying engineer. you need ticketed welders and proper methods etc. doesn't necessarily mean a lowering in gvm either. 

Been working on this 65" Ranchero lately.

Dropping in a 351 Cleveland and Manual transmission.

It currently has 4 wheel drum brakes with a single system master cylinder and no brake booster.

My customer has supplied a 4 pot wilwood front disc brake conversion and remote brake booster (booster is for single circuit brake system)

Questions.

1. Are these bolt on brake caliper mounts acceptable ?  My understanding is the multi piece caliper mounts are a no go ? They are alloy with what looks to be pressed in steel inserts.

2. Can i use the bolts supplied ?

3. Can i use the wilwood braded lines ?

4. Can i use the single brake system or do i need to upgrade to a dual system ? (my recommendation to my customer is fit a late model dual system booster/master cylinder off something else)

Cheers.

nlu8p5.jpg

2rwn88y.jpg

2qizex4.jpg

2j3o9yv.jpg

can i legally transfer a plate from one car to another? like a P Plate?

i have a rego on hold from a fairmont i bought which is a really nice 4 letter rego, and on black and silver plates. can i transfer this to my ute as i would a P Plate?

both are in my name, the 4 letter rego is on hold and the ute is my daily, and currently rego'd and wof

i know the plates and tags thingy thingy yeah yeah, but i am not going down that route. especially now i've posted it on a public forum! haha. it'd just be nice to keep that rego.

You could do it by getting your current ones made into a personalised plate and then put the black and silver ones on

I would say it's probably ok, wilwood is a reputable manufacturer. A lot of the wilwood brackets look a bit on the light side but never seem to give problems

The main issue with multi piece caliper brackets is when the 2 bits that hold the caliper on are separate and there is nothing stopping them rotating apart from the bolt being tight