For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

As far as a cert goes, depends on the situation but i have had cars that the chassis number had to be moved for similar reasons.

the wof book says this;

Condition

3. A VIN or chassis number must not have been removed, erased, altered, defaced, obscured, destroyed, obliterated or affixed unlawfully, or be unauthorised.

you could probably go see someone at a VTNZ / VINZ and get it noted on their system, what you have done, to prevent drama down the track

Is there anyone specific i should speak to at VTNZ?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im about to fabricate some new rear strut towers to fit coil overs in my ta22, ive heard you have to use a minimum of 4mm plate, is this correct, if not does anyone know what the minimum is?

cheers

Matt

theres no minimum size, would have to be fit for purpose, the design of the tower would dictate thickness you need to use

you would need to speak to someone who does compliance checks rather than just wof inspections.

Cheers mate, much appreciated!

Now i can get stuck in. I've got some 5mm thick rhs that ill use for the main town and then some 3mm plate that ill use to brace off the floor/inner wheel well/existing tower.

Cheer

Matt

Hypothetically, if I was to shorten a datsun 620 truck chassis by 9.8 inches,

And I fitted a fabricated boxed sleeve inside the chassis to reinforce the join, how thick should the steel such a sleeve was made from be? I'd plug weld it on all sides, as well as fizz up the join. (Then grind it all flush, paint it up, and deny all knowledge)

Also,

Whats the actual truth with the 100mm rule?

I tried a new wof place today. (Karl reccommended them)

They guy got really out of shape about his 96mm block of wood not fitting under the chassis. (It was starting to get ugly, and I was contemplating saying fuck it, and dorting off to my usual place)

I showed him the cert plate, and he was all like the VIRM says Nan to under 100mm.

So we measured the wheel center to top of gaurd, and it was actually 5mm higher than the cert plate said.

So was he just shit-talking to me or what?

^ this guy knows whats up.

as far as your chassis shortening, its in the hobby car manual- a basic version would be

• chassis should be cut on an angle
  • weld back together
  • reinforcement plate over top that is the height of the rail on each side of the join, only has to be 1 side of the rail
  • plate should be similar size as rail material
  • you can do this on the inside of the rail so it cant be seen. thats how i did the chassis join on that terrano I had.

if you are not going to bother certing it then you could do what you propose and it would probably be fine, but it doesnt really fit what The Rule Book which Must be Obeyed says.

Wow.

Only one side. I'd almost consider altering the removed section to serve as a sleeve. How long must the overlap be? I was thinking like 100mm each side of the join. (I should stop being such a lazy cunt and go look it up myself, but otp)

is there any preferred angle for the join? Or any orienation?(Front to back, or back to front)

Once the wof guy stopped tripping about my sweet daily's lowness he clean sheeted me.Which was nice.

My understanding of it is a non certed car must not be lower than 100mm from any structural part of the vehicle.. certed cars can be lower, but not lower than what it says on cert plate.

You get 5% allowance up and down from the cert height I thought?

/too lazy to look it up.

Sooo, can the Cert guy cert whatever height he wants/deems safe, lower than 100mm at his discretion & as long as it's 'safe'? e.g certed for 50mm or something crazy, or is there a certain max low generally? 

/curious

There was talk about this some pages back. THere are a bunch of other things which come into account like steering geometry, wheel clearnace etc. As far as I understand, in theory there is no actual defined height limit, but the certifiers arnt muppets and I think if you were silly low (ie 40mm or less) then they woudl start asking questions.

there has been more talk lately about minimum chassis heights, mostly due to this van. ended up with the police making a complaint against LVVTA, caused a lot of drama and wasted time at LVVTA. the guys attitude didnt help either, "FTP" bullshit every time he got pulled over

1248722.jpg

i think the lowest part on this was 40mm from memory.

last time i talked to the tech guy at LVVTA about it, he reckoned 80mm should be the lowest we should be certing anything

• Like 1

there has been more talk lately about minimum chassis heights, mostly due to this van. ended up with the police making a complaint against LVVTA, caused a lot of drama and wasted time at LVVTA. the guys attitude didnt help either, "FTP" bullshit every time he got pulled over

1248722.jpg

i think the lowest part on this was 40mm from memory.

last time i talked to the tech guy at LVVTA about it, he reckoned 80mm should be the lowest we should be certing anything

this van got stuck on multiple speedbumps on its way to D1NZ at easter in Chch. does look good but would not be nice to drive i recon on long trips