carburator choices

RUNAMUCK

I met a bloke today through a datsun website. He had a VERY tidy 1200 SSS. I took him for a blat in my supercharged 1200 sedan. He was suitably impressed. As he has had some proir experience with both supercharged,and turboed Datsun "A" engines, I was interested in his thoughts. Anyway he reckoned that I would be better off to remove the weber 32/36 that I am currently running, and replace it with an 1 3/4 inch SU carburator. As thiis is a fairly old school query, I thought I'd ask for opinoins here. What experiences have you all had with either carb? Anyone have any Ideas as to what CFM an SU is? (some of those webers are up to 320 cfm) Plus he said that with an SU set up, I could get the whole shooting match under the hood, unlike now, where the carb and air cleaner stick about 4" inches through the bonnet. It looks very cool, and gets plenty of wide eyed stares. But I live in constant fear of a defect notice from the friendly govt revenue gathering brigade, when ever I drive it.

Mind you if the enemy did pull me over, and asked to see my cert plate for the lowering, or the roll cage, as son as I opened the bonnet to show 'em I'd be screwed anyway. A cert is on the cards, but not for a few weeks yet..

Ill put in my 2 cents.

I dont know much about forced induction and SU's, but i just built a set of twin SU's up for my L16. They are a great carb if you are wanting to drive every day as they tend not to go out of tune, not many moving parts, just a suction piston which lifts as you open the throttle and allow more vaccum.

Have a look at this web page, it has most of what u will need

http://www.jetlink.net/~okayfine/sutech.html

hayden

su carbs adapt well to forced induction they are easy to tune [if you know what your doing] lots of early turbo conversions used them in blow through and suck through systems . two inch and a quarters or 1 2inch would probably do it for you but you must have constant fuel pressure so no high speed lean outs. just make sure any carbs you get are in good nick if the throttle shafts are worn they are fuckin hard to tune right.

hope this helps dave

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the link, interesting reading. I also have an L20b motor with twin SUs on it aswell.

I'm a bit reluctant to pull the weber off as despite needing some minor rejetting, it goes quite well. (plus when I dump the seconary, it makes that cool wee blurp noise that a carburated rotary makes when the secondarys have been manualised) Anyone know why they didn't put a draft operated butterfly on the secondary in those webers? The stock datto Hitachis have them, makes them more economical. (explains why those two litre Fords are heavy drinkers).