Single to twin?

lowlancer

My celeste-to-be has a single carb, and its brutally slow. I know sweet fuck all about older cars, so I was wondering, how much effort is it to change to twin carb, and will I need to change anything else?Exhaust and filter etc are already catered for but I love the sound of a twin carb suckin away, and I want a bit more "go".

my 1300 single carb eskie is ok not not that slow it gets around. what do you mean by twin carb? you mean like a twin throat carb? or twin side draughts..... or what? .... any way you probably going to have to get a manifold to suit your carb... and some extractors wouldn't hurt

Well first you'll have to buy some twin carbs, which don't usually come cheap. But after that, as long as you have the manifold and the linkages, you should be away (after a good tune).

If you want to try another option, you could grab a weber from another car like a cortina or something. I know the XF falcons came with 34ADM Webers which seem to make any engine up to about 1600cc run pretty sweet. A shop like Weberspecs should be able to sell you the adapter plate / manifold, which ever you need.

haha crap I dunno, whats the diff between a side draught and a twin throat or whatever it is? I'm real keen to see this thing crank along, so what I might do is source the GT twin-carb engine...makes around 110 hp standard, about 20 more than mine.

90hp from the original should get the car going along pretty sweet. Maybe it just needs a good tune. My gem makes about 80hp at the fly in stock form and with exhaust/extractors and a filter i'm happy to say it's rather swift (has just been tuned too). So the celest can't be that slow.

Really? Maybe it needs a tune, cos it actually makes over 100hp as is, and the twin carbd one makes around 120. I finally purchased it, and have been driving it today. Its way quicker than i remember, but the auto has to go, partially cos its gay and partially cos its tired, and also the dude said the carb needs to be tuned, so Im gonna make a booking for the bitch to be tuned up and crap. How much would you say I'm looking at? on average? I read that standard RX3s make 100hp, so im stoked! Everyone told me to not bother getting one, but theyre a totally under rated performance car. Can't wait for a cruise so I can show her off. Pics up soon.

Thought I'd breathe new life into this thread. My celeste has a "solex" carb, which I know is standard, but how do you know if its a constant depression, fixed jet, an SU, or a twin choke? I'm looking at pics but mine doesnt look like any of the ones in my book....I have a feeling that it's a fixed jet...