engine shitting out

Guest 323wagz

Guest 323wagz

Hey, Ive got a prob with the standard 1300 in my RWD 323 wagon.

When driving on the open road occasionally the engine pretty much just gives up and just loses power causing the car to gradually slow down and eventually stop, changing down gears doesn't help, it actually feels like it is accelerating better with only slight pressure on the accelerator. Its got new sparkplugs, dizzy cap, rotor, points, condenser, leads, fuelfilter, airfilter. This slowing down happens esspecially when going up hill (going at abou 20kph in first gear by the end of a hill) stays shit if its flat and then goes fine as soon as you go down hill, until you come across another up hill. when it shits out if you pull over and try and turn the engine off it runs on for ages so just end up having to stall it, but then you start it up again and it goes sweet for a while. I've had suggestions that possibly this is a problem with the fuel pump. What do you guys reckon? Any help would be appreciated.

I'd start with going over the fuel lines and pump and filter etc.

Alternatively if she's carb'd it could be the fuel float in your carb fucking out, take it off open her up and give it a good blow through all the tubes and shit... if you dont know how to do that, it may be easier to grab another carb of a wrecked one and slap it on see if it works.

Seeing as you've already changed the fuel filter, did you keep the old one? cut it open and see how full of crap it looks.. if it's absolutely full of grimey shit then it may be there's more of that similar shit through-out your fuel lines etc so get some Injector cleaner they call it now.. but it's works for carbs too and put a bottle or two of that in your tank.. just read the back to make sure it's for carbs as well.. if she's carb'd.

Did it sit for a long time before you got it and started using it again? Becuse if it did the fuel that was in the tank turns to slimey shit and if you've ever ran it close to empty or to empty itself it could have picked up some of that crap and be holding it hostage in the fuel lines.

Also check your manifold vacuum hoses for cracks and leaks could be something there.

Let us know how it goes dude, but I reckon it's a problem in the fuel system as opposed to electrics.

OH FUCK hangon I just read your post again.. you've got over-run too.. your timing must be off as well, so at higher revs or whatever when it tries to use the vacuum advance on the dizzy the timing goes even further off and runs like shit. Check for TDC in number 1 cylinderand whether the dizzy rotor arm is pointing to the number one lead... if it's pointing opposite then the dizzy could be on wrong. Have you checked the timing and shit? I'd try that too.