Building up a turbo engine

zep

Hey,

Just wondering, has anyone here built up an existing engine in any of their cars for a turbo application? I know for low boost, that the stock internals can handle what I'm planning to do, but I figure, since i'm gonna be getting the engine reconditioned or rebuilt, I may aswell chuck in a few bits for the turbo later on.

I know that forged pistons are good, but what else would be reccommended for running a bit higher boost?

Stock can handle up to 9psi i want to run around 16-17...

thanks for all your help, oh and any reccommend a workshop or person who could build this engine up for me?

sweet as...

Guest boostjunky

new rods h beams or similar, maybe arp bolts everywhere,4 bolt mains,dowel head,quality steel head gasket - lots of things can be done but depends on your budget i guess

Guest Matt D

hey zep, is it sweet to run the same comp ratio when u turbo it or do u HAVE to lower it? also are u definatly going for blow through?

was reading up on an article for H2O injection sounded like it would be sweet for the suck through 4k if i wanna run more boost later(after i build it first), if i ever finish this year at uni.

Guest Tea Bag

After measuring up the pro's and cons...

I have decided not to go force fed , nor superchrge as well.

I am how ever going for the laughing as method.. prolly a 100shot dual stage.

drive in drive out for 2g's :)

cheers

apparently cause its suck through matt d you can use anything that sucks....... like a vacuum cleaner!!!!! it would be mean to have on in the back seat and turnit on when you want mean boost.... now thats a ghetto turbo......

apparently cause its suck through matt d you can use anything that sucks....... like a vacuum cleaner!!!!! it would be mean to have on in the back seat and turnit on when you want mean boost.... now thats a ghetto turbo......

boost is positive pressure not negative like vacuum

thing thing you need is a turbo.........no a vacuum cleaner

but you can reverse a vacuum clean and make it blow instead of suck

Guest dodgy_rotors

hey iv got a 4k turbo setup sittin in tha garage. if u did wanna do it u really needa decompress it. it would go quite hard but making the engine stronger is a real good idea. i never got mine 2 go properly as the turbo was on its way out and tha manifold was made of thin steel which ddnt hold up very well. on 18psi boost the head gasket lasted 4 20mins then steam was blowing evrywhere!! :P was fun while it lasted tho!

my mate had a 4K in a Starlet that was boostin at 15psi :? reliably with only a decompression plate! It used a blow thru system with a big ass SU carby, and a turbo off a GSR Mitsi! 8) It was a scary as car round Manfeild, as it had standard suspension, and the 12 inch biscuit tyres :shock: pumped up to like 50psi so they wouldn't roll of the rim... showed up the drifter boys tho!!! :D

Guest dodgy_rotors

it had a garret off a fwd pulsar on it. sorry no pics tho dont hav a camra :cry: it used 2 be on a starlet up in aucks then tha dude built up a 4age turbo think the plate was RIPNOZ :twisted: