Di0n's Toyota Surf

di0n

Last week I finally managed to get my hands on a very tidy 1st Generation Toyota Surf. According to the records from the PO the 2.4 2L-T had quite a major rebuild a couple of years ago then ran a bearing not long after. It was then replaced with a 2.8 non turbo 3L engine. Unfortunately the PO was not very mechanically minded and so when he attempted to change the oil himself he overfilled the engine resulting in a diesel runaway. So I bought the truck as a non runner and trailered it home.

Once I had it home I drained the oil to the correct level and tried to start it but it wouldn't fire, so I sprayed some brake cleaner into the air intake and it started right up. It poured out smoke for a few minutes but as it warmed up it cleared and actually started to run quite smoothly. I took it for a run around the block and it all seemed ok so I booked it in with a mechanic for a general checkup. Sadly on the way to the mechanic the engine started to get a bit noisey which they diagnosed as a big end bearing noise and advised me to take it home and stop driving it. On the 10 minute trip home the engine got worse and as I pulled into my road it lost oil pressure so I crawled it back in the drive and parked it up.

Plans are to do a sort of mini restoration on it. Basically tidy it up some more and keep it as stock as possible, but rebuild the 2.8 then turbo it. It will get a very mild lift and bigger tyres and eventually a factory respray when I can afford.

IMG_2047.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...