Greenies 88 GN

Greenie

Hey everyone havnt been doing much lately towards any of my projects but since ive gotten my ass into gear ive dug this my old gn250 out from the back of the shed.

So i brought it about 3-4 yrs ago in order to get my bike lieces (which never happened) but instead, being me i decided change everything and pulled the bike to bits, with no knowhow to finish the job. Following that she was put under a tarp out back and parts were put away. 

But recently I took on the challenge of clearing enough space in my grandad's shed to bring it inside so i can work on it. 

Overcoming that ive been able to store / work on it indoors and have acquired some parts in hopes to finish what i started yrs ago!

Goals this time is to turn it into so kind of bobber style bike but with little money,skill or experience..... so wish me luck!

I didnt get any before photos from when i brought it but it was a completely stock 88 Suzuki gn250 and was absolutely mint!

The fist photo is of it when i first got it inside,  it still has the 1" drag bar i got when i first got the bike (which dont fit so had to go). And as youll see the state of the shelves in this shed youll realize what i was dealing with to get a work bench and enough floor space to get this inside...

20170419_190637-1024x576.jpg

• Like 4

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This pics ar from sunday after i cleaned up for the day. 

So far ive only put the old bars back on (flipped) and re atteched all the controls. Ive wired up the head light, contrals, gauges and ignition. Mounted the tank and rear number plate holder and also the new speedo. 

Now i just have to buy a battery, wire up and mount the indicators, mount the seat some how, remount the rear gaurd (because atm its been held with zip ties) and cut the excess rear frame off,cut the exhaust,   as well as most importantly ->MAKE IT RUN AGAIN! 

20170423_160656-768x1365.jpg

20170423_160710-768x1365.jpg

20170423_160727-768x1365.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Have only made small progress as struggling to find time to work on lately, so yesterday i finally got the seat mount officially fnished up, i had to cut abit of the tank just to make everything fit nicely but i think it looks better than i thought i could do so im happy, Next is mounting the rear gaurd. Cheers guys :)

20170528_093320-747x1328.jpg

20170528_093921-747x1328.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bike lost some weight today. Cut off the rear end finally as well as some of the extra bits of shit i dont need on there eg: the passagers foot pegs ect. But there still more to go plus cleaning it all up. Also need to make tabes to mount the rear fender as well as ones to cover the open end of the frame. Managed to tidy some of the wiring under the seat so its not so busy and got rid of the filthy old air box. Only making small progress but im getting more excited to go riding everytime i work on it. Just need to stop going out on the dirtbike instread...

Starting to put together a list of parts i need to get as well as jobs still to do. Hopefully in the next week or two things will start coming altogether (just not lookibg forward to wiring). Cheers guys :)

20170613_173836-747x1328.jpg

3 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

Awesome :-)

I wonder if that area would look better with the rear tank mount/bolts painted black so they kinda dissappear

Thats a good idea actually! Might do the whole seem around base and end of the tank once its painted! Cheers dude!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

Awesome :-)

I wonder if that area would look better with the rear tank mount/bolts painted black so they kinda dissappear

Yeah, that flat part of the tank that sits on the frame by the front of the seat. That would disappear if painted to match the frame.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Yellow is cool. Nearly went that with my cafe. Check out some Ducati 450 sport images...

Cheers dude, i had a look, i like what they do when its has yellow with a black strip and the Ducati within the strip. Like thus ⬇️

download.jpg

• Like 1

Im also in two minds about weather to keep the side covers or make something less standoutish to cover the side..? What have people done in the past to cover these kind of gaps?  

Also loving the tank on this one

images (14).jpg

I wouldn't try to copy anyone else :-D I think with what you have done virtually ANY color scheme will look great! even if you just buffed and polished the crap out of the current tank.

edit..

oh and im no expert but i like the side panels- they always make the bike look more together and finished kinda (just my opinion)... i think they could do with being recessed an inch or two each side tho- could ya cut them down and push them in further? 

• Like 1

Cheers mate :) i know what you mean. Dont really want to copy anyone but just dont want it to look like a gn (but i guess it doesnt anymore anyway). Took a look at the side covers, could probably cut abit of the edge off to bring it in but that would mean cutting off the tabes that attach them to the bike, so would have to do something about that, but i like your idea definitely gonna look into it further. Thanks heaps :)

• Like 1

Trying to hook up the indicators and break lights whilst im not allowed to weld.. going smoothly so far... i have decided to re-use the aftermarket indicators that were on this already. Just had to paint them as they were disgusting fake carbon shit..  but now theyre just matty B :)

Mint!

20170614_164428-1328x747.jpg

Finshed mounting the rear guard and indicators and also cut the exhaust up and put that back on.  

Ordered some things last night, I have a reproduction short front gaurd as well as a sweet lever set, as the ones on there at the moment dont match and look too bulky in my opinion.  So hopefully they wont take too long.

In any case. Id say its 75% there, it will be rideable once i have a new battery, and check everything is wired correctly. Still planning on possibly getting different bars, new controls, and i also want to look into how to lower it a little as it looks abit odd being so high. 

Cheers guys!

(Edit - changed photo) 

20170618_140149-747x1328.jpg

• Like 4

Not really an update but thought id share a pic of what the levers look like on the bike. I think they makes the bars look alot cleaner, and now i just need new grips and some kind of mirror to finish them off :)

20170625_162307-1328x747.jpg

• Like 1

Only another small update agian, but my shortened front gaurd arrived the other day so got that on, i had to re drill the holes for it as they werent as wide a the old ones but it worked. Also fipped my bars back to see what it would look like, because when i was thinking about what bars to get, these ones seemed to have awfully close specs too some i had looked at, so thought there was no harm in trying.   I think they look good but im still undecided as they just have a bit more rise and pull back than id like, but will stick with it for now.

Also found out that there was about an inch of adjustment in the rear shocks so grancked then over to the lowest setting, it seemed to change then hardness of the shock so it doesnt look lower with no load on the bike but sits less than an inch off the tyre when im sitting on it so can't complain i dont think :)

Cheers guys :)

20170702_164308-1328x747.jpg

Another angle (im sure this garage would drive some of you nutty. Trust me when i say its painful to work in) 

20170702_164337-747x1328.thumb.jpg.a2bc948612c7ad5f9172f88cdf38e641.jpg

• Like 1

Phone app wouldnt let me edit the last post but i forgot to add, i wrapped the exhaust too, but lets be honest its not that itll do anything, its just for looks lol

And also a pic comparing the old and the new front gaurd. 

20170630_152027-747x1328.jpg

• Like 1

Hey everyone, i made a start at cleaning the engine  up on sunday, only got an hr or so on it which was dissapointing but nun the less made a start. 

Seems to be comeing up alright with the wire brush and some elbow grease. 

Goals are to work on pulling everything apart for a full clean and re-paint before re-assembly. 

Have bars and grips ordered off ali express as well, so hopefully they wont take long :)

Quick pic for motivation! Before and after of the right side. (Still not done tho) 

20170709_172608-747x1328.jpg

20170709_175625-747x1328.jpg

• Like 1