63 Corvair - Air Cooled Life - Discussion

bomba

4 minutes ago, 73crownwagon said:

Ah right I think I understand. So Vega and monza are 4 by 4 inch pattern and I believe some corvairs as well.  So your pretty screwed for wheels in nz unless you want Morris minor wheels I think??

I think he was meaning do you still have the 4 stud Cragars?

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, 73crownwagon said:

Ah right I think I understand. So Vega and monza are 4 by 4 inch pattern and I believe some corvairs as well.  So your pretty screwed for wheels in nz unless you want Morris minor wheels I think??

Classic Mini are 4x4" 101.6mm plenty of 13x7 wheels for them, don't know about Cragars though.

• Like 1

Was just chatting with @Bistrolast night at how dope corvairs are and how i pine them. And bang, next day, this.
Can't wait to see this progress. Such neat and unusual cars. Super low, with lowrider spec look will be king.

Awesome car dude!
uncommon_lowrider24_corvair.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Goat said:

Was just chatting with @Bistrolast night at how dope corvairs are and how i pine them. And bang, next day, this.
Can't wait to see this progress. Such neat and unusual cars. Super low, with lowrider spec look will be king.

Awesome car dude!
uncommon_lowrider24_corvair.jpg

Thanks man, yeah can't wait to start messing with it. Such a cool little car. I love how they're like a miniature bubble top Impala.

Watch this space!

This thing is wild, still around today too

63-Corviar-01.thumb.jpg.830dc64c450154063e6dfb35b41a79a1.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 73crownwagon said:

Corvair 1960-64 were same as Nova/Chevy II at 4x4.5" (114.3mm), same as Nissan/Toyota/Triumph/MG etc. 1965-69 were standard Chevy 5x4 3/4" (5x120.65").

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Wheel_bolt_pattern

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 8ball said:

Will be useless to you if you slam it.

But i heard if you run a different tyre pressure in the rear (4-5psi ?)higher it helps the straight line stability of these things.

But if you slam it ive got no idea if that still applies lol.

Im sure high speed isn't the main interest in a low rider haha.

Corvairs had handling issues during development, mainly due to the swing axle rear suspension among other things. GM's partial solution for this was to specify that the cars ran approximately a ten psi pressure differential front to rear. This alleviated the problem to some extent but often the owners would forget or ignore these instructions (because who puts 20psi in the front and 34psi in the back right?) and it directly led to quite a few crashes. The fallout of which was highlighted in Ralph Nader's 'Unsafe at any speed', especially once GM started really pushing the tyre pressure differential. Needless to say, it soon became apparent that this was a band aid fix to the problem.

Whatever wheels and tyres you run, for your own safety please run approximately 10-16psi higher in the rear tyres than you do in the fronts. Run it with equal tyre pressures all around to compare and you'll see the difference. I've pined these things for years and nearly bought an early first generation '61 3 speed base model a year or two ago.

Oh and a little true story: When the engineering team at Rootes Group in the UK were contemplating a rear engined car (later to become the Hillman Imp), they purchased a brand new Corvair and used it on their test track for evaluation. They rolled the car in moderate cornering (supposedly equal tyre pressures) and some of the occupants were pretty well injured.
They then completely rejected swing axles for their upcoming Hillman Imp and instead fitted an articulated multi link rear setup.

All that aside, I love these things and can't wait to see it in person someday. Good luck and I'm looking forward to the updates.
Oh and the inevitable flung fan belt that these things love to do.

• Like 2