Sluggy's C20

Nominal

There is some back-story on the Fatman/LVVTA here

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/newsletters_pub/LVVTA_Newsletter_2014_Jan-July.pdf

"To the owners surprise, his new 'Fatman Fabrica- tion' A-arms failed the NDT in spectacular fashion, with. 16 out of the 20 welds on the 4 suspension arms being failed on quality"

There must be other options out there?

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the options are limited in the 60 - 62 trucks. There is this option - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=366828 but I will need to check with the authorities. The plan was always to keep it stock to get it complied. Rebuild all the stock suspension, and see how it rides. Then do the conversion/cert stuff post that.

• 1 month later...

As per the build thread (which is lame) nearly complied, have later front and rear ends, 5 stud and goes to a coil over rather than the torsion front end. Im pretty sure the Ls/6l80 combo wont squeeze between the torsion bars/front suspension set up. The box is a monster.

As pe build post, kleen to talk to people who are up for doing front suspension swap and engine swap - would like it done in the next 3 months (not 4 years like the other project...)

Call Kevin at Autocare Kilbirnie. He is in Wellington and is very good. Have a chat and lay out your plans and see if he can meet your needs. 

Driving it to Wellington and getting a flight home should be a small part of the cost of what you are doing. 

The reason I thought of him is I know he has done something similar for a 70s Chev pickup for the guy who owns Placemakers

Tell him KK sent you. 

He hand built his own Trans-Am racecar too.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dropped off the drive shaft today to Russell. Top bloke !!

Does anyone on here have any 17" + chev rims (5 x 4.75") and tyres I could use/borrow ? Have done the rear swap to 5 stud and the fronts will be arriving soon to do that. Trying to sort wheels but not having a lot of luck at the moment....

• 4 weeks later...

Dynamat or one of its variants would be great on the floor of a car I used to draw as a 3 year old. Basically a shoebox. 1) wear gloves (i got a bazillion little cuts on the end of my fingers because tough guy) 2) get a decent roller - the long socket I used was cheap but tough work. 3) pay some other dweeb to do it.

I have some closed cell foam coming to go over this then carpet. Hopefully is quiet like a tiger.

• 2 weeks later...

If its helpful in any way

Ive driven a couple of trucks with those wheels on and they are not great.

They are massively heavy, which you can feel when you drive it.

One was a 67  and I remember thinking how much better it would have been if it had lighter wheels and an exhaust that wasnt deafening. Was a really nice truck apart from that

• 2 weeks later...