This is straight after me and my good mate Steven, installed the 2.0L 4G63, and 4 Speed automatic transmission with overdrive. Every thing bolted straight up, the transmission mount bolted up a bit further down, but there were already holes there. The only thing we needed to change was the engine mount itself, which bolts straight to the subframe.

IMG20220828170650.jpg

• Like 7

I've also swapped over the dash clusters, as the other one has not just the temp and fuel like the old one, but it has an RPM tacho, oil pressure is and voltage gagues. You'll be quite surprised to hear, that it worked straight away on the existing loom. There was no need to change anything. The oil pressure wire connector was even found in the loom under the bonnet. Perfect. I got an auto sparky to sort that stuff out last week. Along with the transmission inhibitor switch, and the wires for the alternator, cause I didn't mark for take photos lolol. But we got it started.

IMG20220820130850.jpg

• Like 6

Here is the other. A 1987 Stellar Prima. The Prima was the higher end model with the good bits, some of which my red one now has. You'll see the exhaust manifold there. That was cut off just after the flexi pipe, and mounted into the other. (It just needs welding to the existing exhaust pipe now.) It lines up perfectly.

IMG20220827163600.jpg

• Like 2

Once everything was in, and the engine was starting. I was having trouble trying to move the gear selector through gears. It has a Park (P) - Reverse (R) - Neutral (N) - Drive (D) - 2ND - (2) and Low (L) shifter pattern. We tried adjusting the gear shifter with the gear linkage from the original transmission to start with, but it didn't work. So we removed the gear shifter and linkage and used the setup on the other Stellar. It seemed to work better to start with, but was still out. It would only select P,D, and 2. So after heaps of adjusting, (my auto sparky even tried.) I got annoyed, and after fiddling around with it last night to no avail, I messaged Dylan @piazzanoob 24/7 mechanical help line, (thanks heaps mate) He said to make sure the transmission / linkage was in Park. Which it wasn't. It was in L gear, he said to adjust it from park. Which knowing where I had it now was easy. And I got it right. Shifting through all gears. Always look at things, it's also never bad to ask for help.

received_794391561881001.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

After 7 months of blood sweat and now tears. Fuck......... Had some knuckle dragger take an illegal u turn in front of me. So she's stuck in Whangarei waiting for assessment. I've got all the parts. I don't think I can allow it to end like this. I've spent too much time on it. And there's less than 12 road worthy examples left in the country now.

IMG20230204232300.jpg

• Sad 20

• 11 months later...

So..... big thread update.

It took 6 weeks, to be assessed, as my accident happened a few days after the Auckland floods, then a week or so before the Hawkes Bay floods. So many hours were spent, on the phone with State, my insurance company. But hey, people lost their houses and possessions, so in the grand scheme of things. The Stellar wasn't all to important which was understandable.

Brought it back for $250, still registered from the insurance company. Had it insured at agreed value for 4K. So I got that minus the $250, then minus aprox $270 to get it back to Auckland.

It arrived at home, I then stripped the front of it, lights etc, :)and drove it around New Lynn getting quotes etc. I ultimately dropped it off that day to my regular panelbeater in Avondale. 

He started in June by getting the front straightened out, engine partially removed to check for any further damage. Then repainting and attaching the front panels etc, I stripped off my scrap Stellar.

He got busy with other tasks, and it got moved to the back of the shop. For him to only get started again, when I walked back in for the 60,000TH time on January 13TH, to say that if he couldn't finish it. I'd scrap it. As a result, today 25/1/24, it's nearly finished. After a good discussion with him about painting, as I was only wanting the top of the car done, roof, bootlid, bumper and the top half of the car where the paintwork had faded. We decided it'd be better to do the whole thing. All I have to say is, the pictures speak for themselves.

• Like 4