chasinthemirage's other Mk3 Zephyr

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't done too well at photographing progress on this thing as it's my daily and I'm usually just trying to get the job done with as little fuss as possible but I made sure I got photos of the panel repairs.

When I bought the car it had a big square dent with a tear  below it in the sill. I don't know for sure but I suspect that it fell off a jack at some point and punched in the sill. Initially the panel beater thought the dent could be pulled out and a small patch welded in but unfortunately there was some rust on either side of the dent so we bit the bullet and cut the lot out.

kQV3r0h.jpg

1jyYxvB.jpg

WNf1Uxw.jpg

I stupidly didn't take a before photo but I'm very pleased with the quality of the repair and it's nice to know there's steel there and not just bog! I still need to fit the chrome trim to the sill and then that's one more thing off the list. 

Discuss here: 

• Like 6

Replaced the left hand control arm this weekend as the outer ball joint was absolutely rooted.

7rabaU3.jpg

As it turns out the control arm was a right hand arm fitted to the left hand side. The control arms on these things are handed which probably explains why the joint was so bad. At first glance the arms look the same but the ball joints are a few degrees off being parallel with the face of the inner bushes.

HEcmQse.jpg

I had trouble photographing it but if you look closely you can see where it looks like the stud has worn into the control arm.

xaE4aw8.jpg

I pressed new bushes into both arms and fitted the new arm to the car. I thought the swaybar bushes were ok but on closer inspection they need to be replaced so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to grab a set from Enford. Still need to change the oil and wire up the horns and then I think I'll move this thing on as things haven't quite worked out the way I'd planned and I'd like to free some money up for other things.

Yarns here:

• Like 1

• 11 months later...