Chrisr 86 fc3s rx7

chris r

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe reminded me we probably didn't put enough 2 stroke oil in initially so I chucked some more in with a splash of fuel. I tried to start it so I could move it out of the way and no luck today. I'm probably jumping to conclusions but I suspect the motor might be tired and the lack of premix may have been the finishing touch. I'll wait until I get a hold of a compression tester before jumping to any more conclusions.

At this point I think the wise move is to put it in the lockup until I have enough money to do this properly instead of cheaply. All my other projects are closer to being finished than this so it makes sense to get them more completed before getting too involved with this

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah- just strip it down, stretch the oil control springs out, give the plates a scuff with a belt sander, drill some ports and rebuild it using appropriate sized electrical cable for your new water seals.

Start early in the morning and you'll be ready for a few laps and a feed of KFC by the evening!

You can thank me later..my advice is free. :-)

• Like 5

A full seal kit is about $2k. Replace the 3 piece apex seals with later 2 piece, but will still only be 2mm. Also upgrade the corner seal springs wth FD ones. Could go 3mm but you will need to get the slots done professional slotted.

Everything will need balancing.

The shit part will be if you have blown an apex seal, then it's probably done the housing too. New ones are about $800 from Mazda I think. If it's damaged the rotor well yeah, you can see how the costs start to add up, even if you plan to build it yourself.

Of course you don't have to do a full seal kit, but a good opertunity once it's open.

The hardest part about rebuilding the motor will be getting the clearances correct. Not sure if your vid covered that?

But I say go for it. Remember to drill some new ports.

• Like 3