Adoom's 1976 Triumph 2500 TC

Adoom

You need to do it like this:

1. Open Bleeder

2. Assist pushes pedal down and holds down

3. Close Bleeder

4. Assistant lets pedal up

Repeat until no air comes out, remembering to check reservoir.
Unless you are using a special hose with a valve of some sort on the end to stop the air/fluid from sucking back up

• Like 2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, kyteler said:

Also also, you don't need a valve,  a bottle or container with the hose reaching to the base of the bottle with a level of fluid higher than the end of the hose and you'll be fine.  

This. I did the brakes on a club sport today with some 5mm hose from Bunnings and a Powerade bottle with a hole drilled in the lid, hose down to the bottom of the bottle and a bit of fluid and your set. It'll pull back a little bit for the first couple pumps but  once up to the bottle it's sweet, and you use clear hose your can tell when all the bubbles are gone/ fluid is clean. 

• Like 2

Yeah what nominal said. Open nipple, get assistant to push pedal down and hold it down, do up nipple and then assistant lets pedal up.

Repeat.

If the system is completely new then bench bleed the master first. If its in the car then crack open both outlets at the master, push pedal down, hold, tighten outlets, release pedal. Repeat until its just fluid. Usually only a few strokes. Otherwise it can be an arse trying to get the master to push anything.

When bleeding the wheel cylinders/calipers watch the clear tube you've put on on the nipple. It takes a second or two for the master cylinder to 'refill' after a push. If you're hasty and crack open the nipple straight after the assistant has let the pedal up you'll see the fluid getting drawn back a little. So just wait a couple of seconds before opening the nipple.

Yeah as others said- start at the furtherest away wheel and work in. (having bled the master first if needed)

Right rear is furtherest away from the master in this case. The line to the back goes down the left of the car to a 3 way union, then over to the right wheel.

I have a one man bleed kit, I think there is a one way valve in it. The bottle is laughably small, a few pumps will overflow it, so I use an old brake fluid bottle. 

But I will try the open nipple, pedal down, close nipple, pedal up, repeat method.

I would normally use the method kyteler and hemi use.

Like you I usually use the Kyteler/Hemi method which works 95% of the time - when something being a bit of a cunt (usually the jag where the rear pipes has lots of ups and down or if a systems been completely drained) and still has a small amount of air somewhere in the system bleed as per above and then go around each corner again this time get someone to pump the brake pedal a few times and then hold it down while you crack open your bleed nipple and then tighten it before they release then pedal you should only need to do this once or twice at each corner. This pressurizes  the brake fluid and makes the air into larger bubbles rather than lots of tiny ones which sometimes can't be seen you should get a few bubbles at the affected corners (no way of knowing which ones they are so do them all).

• Like 1

Bled the brakes again tonight using the Kyteler Hemi method and followed the books advice and did slow pedal strokes.

Pedal seems better.

I will drive it over the Rimutakas tomorrow to put it in the new shed. Taking a fire extinguisher..... not positive the fuel leak is completely fixed. Looking forward to having it on the flat and dry.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The fan knob has a wee pin you need to depress, then pull it off the shaft. (lol, knob and shaft).

Then undo the bezel nut and it moves out the back.

Take ciggy lighter out of socket, then undo the back of the ciggy lighter barrel and remove.

Undo choke cable at the carbs, and proceed to pull the entire cable out from the inner from inside the cabin.

Undo bezel nut on the choke slider thing and remove from the back.

You may not have luck gluing, I've tried it in the past and it doesn't stay put, ever.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lexus v8 is a bitch to fit in one of these i sunk one into my mk1 back in  2003 custom sump headers everything is tight and in the way. Ls1 with a camaro sump would be way easier Commodore headers would fit with a few pipes tickled. 

The IRS in these is actually pretty good. And good idea with the 1UZ, that would be a great combination.
The rear ends are already alloy trailing arm and quite well designed but the diff is the weak link when upgrading the power output of the engine or replacing it with something better (and more powerful). The diffs also use universal joints to transmit the power to the axles, CV joints are much better in every way.

A sensible upgrade would be to fit a Nissan R180 or R200 longnose diff into it. It has been done many times before, especially here and in Australia.
I doubt you'll get a ratio as tall as you want in one of these (but Nissan/Datsun foamers will know more about them than I do) but a Nissan diff head and axles will give you strength, CV joints and less weight. Plus there are many LSD options that can be fitted to them and a broken diff for mocking up purposes can be had for pretty much nothing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Muncie said:

Lexus v8 is a bitch to fit in one of these i sunk one into my mk1 back in  2003 custom sump headers everything is tight and in the way. Ls1 with a camaro sump would be way easier Commodore headers would fit with a few pipes tickled. 

Do you have any photos? I feel some dejavu... I might have asked in a previous thread.

Which sump did you use? My engine is a front sump, but I managed to source a Soarer 'rear' sump out of 'Murica. Initial measurements make it too close to be sure(current engine is in the way of measuring). So it will either just fit behind the cross member, or the crossmember/sump pan might require some modifications.

41 minutes ago, Threeonthetree said:

The IRS in these is actually pretty good. And good idea with the 1UZ, that would be a great combination.
The rear ends are already alloy trailing arm and quite well designed but the diff is the weak link when upgrading the power output of the engine or replacing it with something better (and more powerful). The diffs also use universal joints to transmit the power to the axles, CV joints are much better in every way.

A sensible upgrade would be to fit a Nissan R180 or R200 longnose diff into it. It has been done many times before, especially here and in Australia.
I doubt you'll get a ratio as tall as you want in one of these (but Nissan/Datsun foamers will know more about them than I do) but a Nissan diff head and axles will give you strength, CV joints and less weight. Plus there are many LSD options that can be fitted to them and a broken diff for mocking up purposes can be had for pretty much nothing.

Yeh, I've heard the Nissan diff is a common upgrade. But I don't know if I will find a suitable ratio without having to find some rare as obscure model.

Quaife make an LSD to fit the Triumph housing, QDF23K. Palmside in Chch are the NZ agents.

Have a read of "How to Improve Triumph TR5, 250 & 6" by Roger Williams

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=v9Vkqp4tFEEC&pg=PA31&lpg=PA31&dq=triumph+2500+lsd&source=bl&ots=VY18aYxvgp&sig=A1G1bvI0bVLipYrjWRjigAkx5PA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVpseKyM3TAhUBHJQKHZbUBGoQ6AEIWDAK#v=onepage&q=triumph 2500 lsd&f=false

Altezza rear end might fit?

• Like 1