chasinthemirage's 1964 Mk3 Zephyr

chasinthemirage

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool car. I like that you drove it every day with primer patches and no bumper, very 1970s nz. I hope at some point you leaned against it and drank a big bottle of lion red or similar.

my grandpa had one as a company car, he was a sales rep and used to hoon all over the north island 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, kiwi808 said:

The body on it looks pretty solid! Mark 3's seem to be the worst for rust out of all of the Z cars but this looks good.

I like Zephyrs.

Yeah she's not too bad, rusty in all the usual places for a mk3 but nothing too terrible. Me too, always liked them since I was a wee lad.

10 minutes ago, cletus said:

Cool car. I like that you drove it every day with primer patches and no bumper, very 1970s nz. I hope at some point you leaned against it and drank a big bottle of lion red or similar.

my grandpa had one as a company car, he was a sales rep and used to hoon all over the north island 

Unfortunately I didn't, I was underage at the time haha. Who did he work for? This one used to be a Fisher and Paykel company car.

17 hours ago, kiwi808 said:

This was my dad's one. Was super fun to hoon in, went hard for what is woz etc.

uwzkbaz0.utx.jpg

Tidy looking car, suits the whitewalls actually!

10 hours ago, yetchh said:

Yeah, looks to be a good solid base.. you gonna stick with the six?

I am indeed, I thought about putting a V8 or a bigger six in for awhile but I like the factory six so I've had it rebuilt. Cam, port and polish, bigger valves etc. All the usual hop ups I guess, I'm excited to see how it will perform though.

I talked to a couple of blokes in the zephyr club and they reckon it's pretty easy to get 220 odd HP out of them, like to rev too apparently.. I've tinkered with the idea of an 8 or even a barra but I think I might stick with the six also..

I have no idea what sort of power the engine will be making, in hindsight I wish I'd been able to dyno it before it was rebuilt. I know that the stock cast flywheels don't like to rev, the fella that's built my engine has had a couple come apart although at somewhere around 8k rpm. I bought a custom solid flywheel off him and a beefier clutch which he reckons will handle the abuse. I considered a barra turbo and even went as far as measuring the engine up to see whether a 2JZ-GTE would fit but I''ll see how the original donk goes for now.

Who's Bob Homewood when he's at home? Paul Barker has been my go to guy for this engine. His Mk3 is very well regarded in the Zephyr Zodiac car club, he's helped me with everything for the engine so far. I'm not too sure on carbs yet, I have a 36/36 Weber downdraught and a R.E.D.I adapter but to fit it I'd need to cut a hole in the bonnet and I'm not too keen on that. Triple S.U.'s would be very cool but I'm not too sure about tuning them, are they as tricky as people make them out to be? I've been reading through the efi thread, ITB's would be very, very cool. Maybe something to do once I've had the car up and running for awhile.

15 hours ago, chasinthemirage said:

Who's Bob Homewood when he's at home? .........

Having had my proverbial arse kicked by a number of  Bob Homewood tuned/built cars over 20 plus years of motor racing I would say dismiss his expertise at your peril.

Love your build, I've had a soft spot for 'Dark 3's" for many years.