chasinthemirage's 1964 Mk3 Zephyr

chasinthemirage

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 01/02/2017 at 09:08, chasinthemirage said:

Who's Bob Homewood when he's at home? Paul Barker has been my go to guy for this engine. His Mk3 is very well regarded in the Zephyr Zodiac car club, he's helped me with everything for the engine so far. I'm not too sure on carbs yet, I have a 36/36 Weber downdraught and a R.E.D.I adapter but to fit it I'd need to cut a hole in the bonnet and I'm not too keen on that. Triple S.U.'s would be very cool but I'm not too sure about tuning them, are they as tricky as people make them out to be? I've been reading through the efi thread, ITB's would be very, very cool. Maybe something to do once I've had the car up and running for awhile.

I used to run triple SU,s on my mk3 in the 80's. Never had many issues at all with tuning. Key is to have a good adjustable linkages. I'm gathering all the parts to do a lowline Mk 2 Zodiac build once my GT is finished. Have a Mk 3 engine with Bedford pistons prettyy big cam, big valve head gas flowed and triple SU,s. going to run a Mk 3 box and steering column, negative camber front crossmember and it all slammed on 8" steel widened wheels all old school.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 66gt said:

I used to run triple SU,s on my mk3 in the 80's. Never had many issues at all with tuning. Key is to have a good adjustable linkages. I'm gathering all the parts to do a lowline Mk 2 Zodiac build once my GT is finished. Have a Mk 3 engine with Bedford pistons prettyy big cam, big valve head gas flowed and triple SU,s. going to run a Mk 3 box and steering column, negative camber front crossmember and it all slammed on 8" steel widened wheels all old school.

Looking forward to seeing this!

11 hours ago, yetchh said:

You could run triple zeniths, a according to zep (I think his name was) from galeforce zephyrs the zeniths were/are better off the mark than su's to and easier to tune. Just have to be in good condition spindle wise.

I have thought about running Zenith's as I have a couple of spare ones that I could probably rebuilt. I'll just have to keep an eye on the tard, sounds like I'd probably be alright either was as long as the carbs are in good condition.

I've got twins on mine, setting them up to run was a bit of a prick as the spindles on both of mine are a little loose so I've had to drill the accel squirters out.. shouldn't have to otherwise

Twin zodies would be the best as the bigger to start with...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Re the Zenith's, seems that you get decent performance out of them till about "stage 2" then all the tuning companies go to twin SU's when it's flowing really well.

That may just be old Barry tuning tho as in the 50s you could print whatever power figures you wanted

• 1 month later...
On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 09:43, smokin'joe said:

wonder how far into the thread he would pop up.

Ernie lived next door until his passing, and i reckon they were probably Z pistons i dug out of the garden !!

More than likely! I have heard stories of him running Zephyr motors at redline to see what would fail first and then working on improving whatever let go.

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 09:55, tortron said:

Re the Zenith's, seems that you get decent performance out of them till about "stage 2" then all the tuning companies go to twin SU's when it's flowing really well.

That may just be old Barry tuning tho as in the 50s you could print whatever power figures you wanted

Hmm, will be interesting to see how it goes. Head has been ported but I have no idea how much more mixture it may flow compared to a factory head. Will be interesting to experiment with different induction setups and see what it likes.

• 1 year later...

I am keen to know about your clutch conversation, my flathead has a mk4 box behind it, it used the zepher fricton plate and flathead truck pressure plate, I would love to use a modernen diafram Spring pressure plate and disk that was good cheep and redealy available

What gives out first on a zephyr 6 = 2nd gear usually 

then # 5 rod usually falls out of bed at high revs 

I spent my teen years thrashing mkIII s so much fun times mates had one with triple Su it was insane to try and leave a gas station without peeling rubber - prob linkage issue not raw power lol

mkIII Lowered a little debumpered and seams removed on widened steelies with factory hubcaps and trim rings look so good and quite aerodynamic 

barra turbo or ld28 turbo in one even better damn I want another one now 

• Like 2

@SOHC next time I'm at my folks I'll dig the clutch out and see if I can find any part numbers on it. Surely there must be off the shelf clutches available for a flathead?

@Transom I've never had the heart to abuse this car and certainly won't after having it restored but I'm really looking forward to seeing what the rebuilt motor is like! We're on the same page as far as looks, I've had the springs reset to raise the rear but I think I'll drop it back down again. I've been as far as comparing the size of a Barra and a 2JZ to see how much work they'd be to fit!