Sun never sets, q15 Superpoise

doullama

So tortrons (autocorrected to tortuous appropriately) Q15 rolled up on the back of a truck today.  "you're a brave man" quipped the decidedly British truck driver. fired up first pop, standard bugs vs brake cleaner stz, unloaded the many spares which I can't wait to have a good sift thru, and round the block, went great! Changing up gears easy, down not quite so :wink: Heaps to do but will have to wait till after backyard wedding/ hose down & ribbon mods. Fit perfectly in the wrong garage naturally

• Like 6

Had a tutu today, adjusted clutch, zinc-flavour motor oil (didn't drop the sump but will next time, honest) G/box full of oil-tainted water (not vice versa!) new 140w and topped diff, clean probably 500mls low. Visor off, buggered screen seal out, lubed and opened the front windscreen, definitely cool, after I rust-murder and paint the screen surround and frame i'll probably leave it rubber free, and take to carrying a zazzy brown roll of cloth tape around. Need to paint roof & rear of cab, leave current paint unmolested as much as poss for now. Most likely will clean,sand/wheel and repaint the underside of machine too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Despite a self-imposed ban on tutu-ing due to hectic schedule: New battery, fuel filter & fresh gas (reading through the history, the truck seems to have about 5 fuel blockages to the points failure, really needs a screen or sediment bowl that isn't in the fuel pump, of course its all hardline) replaced carby inlet seal washer, painted scuttle and inside of cab. Have been using it a bit to blow the cobwebs out, not going to win any races but runs really well. Slowly getting the hang of crashbox, in fact only time i seem to miss gears is in traffic when it actually matters :P

To do: continue paintin' cab, underside etc

Grease everything (the lube chart is like a star map) 

Check steering box oil

New tyres & exhaust

Figure out why wipers & roof lights not working (suspect bad earth?)

both rear axles leak a bit, doesnt seem too bad i.e not all over the tyres so down the list with it

There is a massive stash of s15 commer (different sheetmetal on the front and ohv motor) parts near htown on t.m, i'm a bit torn as to whether to get it or not as the dude wants it all gone as one lot, realistically i'd have to "take the best and scrap the rest"   in total there is "2 side valve motors 3 ohv motors ,5 gear boxs 3 chassis 3 front axles 3 diffs radiators 1 cab with 2 doors 10 rims 8 tyres and more". Probably enough parts to keep the thing going another couple of centuries, but i'll be sleeping in the spare cab if I drag 3 old chassis home! Also am fickle with vehicles so a lot of effort to shift everything if I sell/garden ornamentise the Q.  

Also used it as mobile connect 4/stereo transporter for my wedding on sunday, was a great hit. (and then used it to drag a portaloo back to hirepool and dispose of 1,000,000 bottles)

commerconnect4.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

Tortron was kind enough to make me a discussion thread, you can provide me with personalised or generic abuse here: 

Update time! Dulux rebuild almost finished, just the chassis from cab forward to go. Actually looks ok for $2 shop brushes wielded by a man high on paint fumes. Painting a vehicle with a brush is very therapeutic, so much less hassle than spraying. No point pushing the boat out on this one! Wasn't going to paint the whole body but by the time i'd painted all the ex-rusty bits, chips etc etc it was looking pretty patchy. Also got all the lights & the wiper going, various blown bulbs/bad earths & so on. Found the diff appears to be minus any sort of breather, will rectify & see if it helps with the leaky axles, as they don't seem to leak while stationary. Fell through one of the running boards so replaced them both with some leftover decking, as you do

dulux1.jpg

dulux2.jpg

dulux3.jpg

• Like 5

Got another Q also, it can be jammed in this thread too. 1943 Karrier superpoise, has an hq front subframe and a very nice cab & chassis. Is declared for 350/th350/9", but has 253/trimatic/bw78. Actually drives really nicely, but realistically it will probably be easier/cheaper to return it to 350ci etc than cert it as is. All i've done so far to it is rig up a choke, jam an air filter on it and swap out the plugs, just for ease of starting/moving round the property etc. Will probably tart up the body and interior and when circumstances allow, hand it over to a shop for full drivetrain conversion.

kar3.jpg

kar1.jpg

kar7.jpg

kar4.jpg

kar2.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Commer update! Swapped the v8 one above for an 86 Isuzu NKR light truck, went to a guy in te awamutu who is far more motivated than myself. Had some big vehicular news, caught up with the guy who I sold my 1st car to, last time I saw it it was sitting on a lawn with no windscreen 13? years ago, and I assumed It had dissolved, a reasonable assumption as 70s leyland product. No, its been in a shed with reg on hold since about a week after I saw it, and would I like it back, free on the proviso I return it if I get bored with it? Sure! The car is of course, a 4k-powered, 5 speeded, disc braked, woefully inadequate windowless marina panelvan. Thinking that two british cars is probably two too many, I put Tori's ex commer (aka the os commer) up for sale and was swamped with interest. Guy from waimiha was first to view and said he'd take it. I offered to take it for a wof to see what it needed, flew through with a clean sheet this morning, so got a years cheap reg too. Am now hoping the guy won't get back to me (hasn't so far ;) so I can enjoy 3 months or so of legal commer action haha, so this saga may or may not be continued... 

• Like 6

am making up for lost time by driving her everywhere, regardless of need to go anywhere! Am driving it to its new owner north of Hamilton next week, am looking forward to it. The people stuck behind me may not enjoy it so much however. Am planning to travel putaruru-te awamutu via arapuni, to pirongia, whatawhata, ngaruawahia. Will be bringing my finest tartan thermos, and a boom-box with "rule britannia" crudely & repeatedly dubbed onto cassette. Put the sides on tonight, man they're heavy for what they are, must be iron-bark or some such. I like to think the attention i've given her will help on her quest to outlive the nation of israel. Can hardly wait to start dredging 2003-era double brown out of the walls of this old marina of mine, still need to go check it out, determine whether its saveable, and if so determine whether to drag it home and diy or take it to a financial rape-dungeon for the inevitable flintstone floors etc.

commer8-6 1.jpg

commer 8-6 2.jpg

commer 8 6 3.jpg

commer 8-6 4.jpg

• Like 4