Nick's MK2 Golf discussion

If you are looking for a spring and shock setup, it's hard to beat the AP Suspensions kits.

If no one can help you with those trims I might be able to. Are you looking for the trims on the outside of the doors? And is it for late or early model or big bumper?

http://www.apcoilovers.com/ap_coilover_details.php?id=214

$660! cant really argue with that. Or you could get the really budget $300 JOM ones from VW heritage. Its a pity you didn't put this up last week as I ordered some brake bits for my mk2 off VW heritage, could of combined shipping to bring the price down.

Let me know how your suspension journey goes as I'm planning on some upgrades along the same lines.   

cheers M M. if neal cannot source them ill let you know. it's the front door exterior trim, for late model small bumper golf. every wreck ive found has either been an early model, 3 door or the trims have already been nabbed.

initially for my first golf, i priced up H&R Springs and Bilstein shocks for around $7-800 iirc from Autolign. i really cbf with the cert process involved with coilovers and handling is a high priority. i'd be happy with a  30-40mm drop all round tbh, but so many cheap coilover options available haha

• 1 month later...

It doesn't surprise me your fan is on a manual switch as the thermo switches on those pack up quite often. Both mine and my brothers ones are on manual dash switch. the water pumps on the 058 block are also known to die and produce crap water flow. chances are you're radiator is half blocked also. My crown wagon randomly tried Chernobyling itself on one day, took the radiator to get flushed and they said it was very blocked and they were surprised it was cooling up until then. I can do the same trick I did to my brothers one and rewire it to run a stand alone circuit with a 2 stage switch on the dash if you want. You'll have hi and lo speed but you'll have to remember to keep an eye on the temp gauge and turn it off when you shut the car off.   

As far your oil burning goes put a liter of Morey's heavy duty oil stabilizer in it with the next oil change. I used this in a 40% mix for a Camry which burnt enough oil to be considered 2 stroke. bit of Morey's reduced the consumption by 2/3. 

http://www.moreyoil.co.nz/moreys-heavy-duty-oil-stabilizer/

• Like 1

Ive never understood the point of fitting a switch when its less work just to replace the thermo switch. 

I all ways carried a piece of wire with a male spade terminal crimped on each end. It could be used for the fuel pump relay or thermo switch

• 3 years later...
On 08/01/2017 at 21:59, TimShadboltfan27 said:

wee update, which reads more like a testimonial

this thing hauled me around the south island with ease, over 1200kms of alpine passes and coastal goodness. and it only burnt 2 litres of oil! a win in my book. maybe something thicker next oil change...

YKaz8A6.jpg?1

o7uRyBT.jpg?1

i finally tracked down some door trims from Lane in Wellington, massive thanks to Kicker for grabbing and keeping them for me. exterior now looks a lot better. amazing what a piece of plastic can do

kdEtfwT.jpg?1

also picked up a mint driving light grille from him as well. some stubborn headlight bolts on the old grille stopped me from putting it on. will get into that once i can source a correct VW badge for it

ElzcJSB.jpg?1

engine fan is temperamental at the best of times - previous owner had wired in a manual switch as it wasn't turning on with thermostatically. i can have the fan switched on at start up and most of the time it will not operate, but i can hear it humming once i hit around 100km/h on the open road, the temp guage drops a little also. often i would find coming into a town and stopping at a set of lights it would rise back up again, and when i take off/back on the open road it will drop again. id imagine the engine runs hotter idling and at low speeds, but i would like to keep the temp down as much as poss and have fan on all the time. anyone have any ideas on this issue? discuss below

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/54600-nicks-mk2-golf-discussion/

Hey man, do you still have this and are you looking to sell. cheers

2 hours ago, sebsumicz said:

Hey man, do you still have this and are you looking to sell. cheers

the ol' three year old thread dredge. Long sold now sorry champ. The guy i sold it do did a fair bit of work then flicked it on to a guy further north. No idea where it would be now. Id also like to buy it if you track it down!