kws

Kelvin's 1985 Rover SD1 Banter

40 posts in this topic

Its freakin lush to drive, despite its age it holds the road well and the steering is as direct as it can be. Be interesting when i get the pile of receipts it apparently has, to see whats actually been done in the past.

3 people like this

Great find and purchase, that looks mint! Would be so full of rot here in the UK. Lots of tuning options for that V8 too

Thanks :) Unfortunately they tend to fill up with rot here too, but there if youre lucky there are still some out there with minimal rust. This one is fairly solid with only minor rust here and there (Mostly little spots around window trims and things).

Ideally in the very distant future i would like to drop a 4.4 or 4.6 engine in for the added punch, but since the 3.5 seems to be in good shape ill stick with that for now. The Speeduino should wake it up a bit.

Nice motor. My first boss had a 1980 V8 5-speed (in 1984). Rough looking sleeper with a cam, Holley, heads, dual pipes etc gave 285 HP. Had a bit of suspension work but his fave mod was welding some angle along the watts linkage, made a big difference.

I'd love one but they're all rotted out here.

1 person likes this

@ carols husband and lothar- are the good rust free ones in the UK expensive then? Or still cheap because of no stupid scene tax Ie Ford, VW etc

From what i have seen (and the others actually in the UK will be able to clarify), tidy examples go for a lot of money and sell quickly. The prices seem to be on the up; i guess thats what happens when availability goes down.

1 person likes this

@ carols husband and lothar- are the good rust free ones in the UK expensive then? Or still cheap because of no stupid scene tax Ie Ford, VW etc

Top end...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C792509

These...... 

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/40/sd1/

Are they expensive for over there ? Some don't seem too bad value but I remember when a good one was 500 quid (blah, blah, don't know you're born, etc....)

1 person likes this

Sorry to read about your knee, did mine in a motorcycle accident a few years ago. Hope the recovery goes well.

I also had a lol when reading the hand written receipts.... the first owner in NZ was a "Mr Barry".

First rule of old car ownership 

- Never keep receipts

Second rule of old car ownership*

- Never add up receipts

* Especially if married.

2 people like this

Third rule of old car ownership,

- Make sure the majority of receipts were paid for by someone else  :-D

3 people like this

Looks pretty cool, I'm liking the story.

Being a Rover you need an old man hat to leave on the rear shelf. (Bought my mate one for his Leyland at the Gore Sally Op shop while on National P76 rally)... :)

1 person likes this