Mighty joe's XF Falcoon of filth.

MightyJoe

Got myself a new project tonight. 1988 XF falcon. 4.1, 3 on the tree. Cheers to XSSpeed for basically kicking me up the arse and getting me on with it. i startet looking at XH xr6's, always wanted a XD V8 so i'm kinda in the middle. 

canopy is going sooner rather than later, tints are already peeling themselves off which is great, bit of tinkering and see if she's a good daily. 

520708304_zps0mesi8v7.jpg

520708488_zpskp8dvxek.jpg

520708396_zpsk4cbmnjb.jpg

520708552_zpsbthtztll.jpg

DSCN3919_zpsxltvgb8n.jpg

DSCN3920_zps9upnkb7c.jpg

DSCN3921_zpsbx9dohet.jpg

Plenty of room in here for the future :D

520708833_zpsriyp1lvu.jpg

Tidy Enough

DSCN3925_zpsnbe8g4nb.jpg

520708728_zpstywc2sdi.jpg

520708641_zpsaaky2btx.jpg

I love the wheels, ok so they're not tridents and eagers, but i'll get there. 

DSCN3922_zps66qnxpwu.jpg

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/54385-mighty-joes-xf-falcoon-of-filth/ 

Discuss

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

sos for no updates yet, i'm sure you're all desperately waiting to see how i'm getting on with a poxy falcon lol. its broke down, fixed itself, leaked about 4 litres of oil, leaked fuel an stuff, yeah, all usual shite.  

i've also got number 6 spark plug sitting at a mad angle in the head, yay! so that's a problem that's pissing me off cos i cant take it out unless i want to take the head off and fix that, massively uneconomical on a 330k engine that i don't really want anyway. but i'm hoping its gonna stick it out until i put something else in it, i'm wanting a clevo v8 now, we'll see. 

and yeah anyways, bought another falcon yesterday. I now have an XE bonnet, guards, bumpers and dashboards, so thats gonna happen too. did a deal with a mate so i bought it, take the XE bits i want, swap them out for my xf parts back to that one and he's bought it off me for same money. i'm calling that a win. cos i cant be fucked bits-and -piecing out the car, although there are loads of extras that i'm getting rid of anyways, doors, doorcards, guards, headers, etc, coming to a for sale post near you soon! 

took the canopy off and fitted a tonneau. much improvement. 

DSCN3952_zpstsknpboa.jpg

other car. 

DSCN3953_zpsmlccgthb.jpg

DSCN3955_zpsxbzhousq.jpg

DSCN3956_zpststdslba.jpg

DSCN3957_zps9p6fbv5u.jpg

DSCN3958_zpsdjquusmt.jpg

DSCN3962_zpsycg83kkb.jpg

[/url]

DSCN3963_zps1xdp6a0c.jpg

i'm going to build one good dash out o the two, and i love these clocks! so much nicer than the XF shite. rev counter and an oil pressure gauge too. sweet. 

Discussion 

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/54385-mighty-joes-xf-falcoon-of-filth/%C2%A0

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got rid of the other one last weekend, hooked it up to an A frame and moved it at about 7am sunday morning lol. good times avoiding the law. but it got there, its not like there was anything left on it to fall off anyway officer! 

unnamed_zpsvgry1ju4.jpg

And, i bought some paint today. FAAK me i'm skint :(  haha. 

this is what $1200 looks like sitting on your garage floor. but its due a wof end of next week so hopefully it'll get through without anything terminal and i wont have wasted that much. we shall see. should be good fun over the christmas break though.  also picked up some XE headlights today, so im pretty sure thats all i need to build up the front end. 

paint, i'd better not kick these tins over lol. 

DSCN3971_zpslocurncz.jpg

second hand goodness

DSCN3970_zpsrjknltjf.jpg

this is the colour i've shosen. BMW sepang bronze. pretty much poo brown with a bronzy/gold metallic fleck. a few reasons i chose this, one, its a rare as fuck colour choice even on bm's and i like that fact. 2 it looks pretty tame around town but in the sunlight it pops real nice. 3 i think it'll suit the boxy shape of the falcon. and i'll try and keep the final look simple too to compliment it and show off the lines,  as in this colour and black trim. neat. tidy. modern. what yous all reckon? 

e21nic7_zpsavku5epd.jpg

back6_zps2wd4qiil.jpg

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/54385-mighty-joes-xf-falcoon-of-filth/%C2%A0

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Got a wof today, not so exciting but very nervous putting a relatively unknown 30 year old ford straight in for a wof. still. all good. Also, in day to day exciting things happening i won this for the starting bid of $50. (plus post, but we dont talk about that) i had to wait a week for it and was expecting some sharp shooting sniper to have a cheeky tinkle at the last second but nah. all good. she's mine. 

539405393_zpsokwzuq0q.jpg

so this is the proper carb for the XF, a 34 ADM.  Mine has a stromberg on it at the moment, from an XD and earlier. its ok, but single barrel and a bit pants really. it also has a fuel weep underneath from (i think) the bottom of the pump jet. not enough to drip, but enough to be damp when you run your finger past it, so it has to go. once i've rebuilt the weber it should be a different car to drive again. she's gonna be mint mayte. so yeah, good times happening. now she's legal again for a while im ging to put the XE front on just after new years and then start prepping it for paint. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pistureless update! sorry fullas. 

plans for the engine have changed. i'm still paying out for my cortina parts and really cant justify a V8 in this one. clevos are going for strong money and i cant afford or justify that for a daily at the moment so i'm gonna tweak the 4.1. 

i've got a replacement flexi plate cos i've stripped a tooth off mine and its a pain in the arse to keep getting out and rotating the engine by hand when it hits that 'sweet spot' and makes that wheeeaaaaa  noise when you try and start it haha. 

i've got a replacement alloy head that i'm going to get polished and maybe worked a little bit, but mostly just checked over, maybe skimmed a bit and a port polish. 

i bought a set of headers today 3-2-1. with 2.5" outlet flange. 

got the 34 adm to go on. 

gonna rip off the viscous clutch and run a set of e30 twin electric fans a mate has

and a cam. i'm thinking stage 2 or 3. so a tow cam.  that should all happen in a month if everything goes nice. then its onto paint prep. 

should give me a nice powerful but still massively useable daily. 

i'm also on the look out for an XG rear axle for the lsd and rear disks to show off behind my riyums!

thoughts and comments?   

Joe.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Been a while without an update on this. i've got into it over the easter wekend this far after collecting a few more parts. the head is still in the machine shop. spoke to a cam guy and once i pull my motor out i'm dropping that off to him and he'll regrind it and supply springs and lifters. 

yesterday i took off all the plastidip paint which wasn't quite as bad as i was expecting. it was tedious but if its a thick coat it pulls off like a balloon skin. 

DSCN3979_zpsgpbjma1j.jpg

unnamed_zpssmc8qdfu.jpg

DSCN3980_zpsnutkwrkf.jpg

DSCN3984_zpsvi8zscbl.jpg

i went in this morning to do the dash and start grinding back the trouble spots but stan turned up a day early so i ditched the dash job half way through and just got into that. 

DSCN3982_zpseixjxhoj.jpg

DSCN3981_zpsuqkky8hc.jpg

DSCN3990_zpsxoiddkqx.jpg

DSCN3995_zpsg2nbcfri.jpg

DSCN3992_zps1hduoiql.jpg

Niiiice bit of bodgery there. masking tape under the bog. mmmmm. tasty. 

DSCN3997_zpsr3obcwam.jpg

Lunch! 

DSCN3991_zpscqkrvpey.jpg

so after patching the passenger sill which was way better than the drivers side i kept grinding and finding more and more holes. rather than have a patchwork stan and i decided that i'll buy a set of outer sills and replace the lot. that way it also takes the guesswork out of the inner sills which we're still not sure about. i blew them out with an airline, and put as much rust converter in as i could but its still an unknown. although it'll set me back another week i'm happier knowing that it'll be 100% under there. 

DSCN4001_zpsikfnsvun.jpg

DSCN4000_zps6fmtoius.jpg

DSCN3998_zpsqo33pzub.jpg

Heading towards that goal! 

538691269_zpsugzammcx.jpg

• Like 9

Today i got the dash out, the XE is well different to the XF which is understandable tbh, but still annoying lol. gonna take some thinking to get it all to work. plenty have done it but theres fuck all in the way of info with regards to wiring diagrams etc that i can find, but i'll make it work.

spent most of the day then removing trim and getting the soggy sound deadening out with a heat gun and scraper. left it with some rust converter doing the good stuff. 

rubber mat, yum! 

DSCN4003_zpsqoj6mu6e.jpg

DSCN4005_zpszjbezfym.jpg

DSCN4009_zpsmd8zggtp.jpg

niiiiice! 

DSCN4006_zpsdxf1j702.jpg

bit of a score this i reckon. early bench seat. the later ones had the headrests integrated so it could be an XA/B/C / Fuckknows. but yeah. its in good nick .

DSCN4007_zpshi1qcc7r.jpg

• Like 3

bit of a boring update, did the same as yesterday but in the fuel tank access panel..i took the tank out and was well chuffed to find it pretty good under there. few scabs but no holes. so, wire wheel, rust converter etc etc i'll chassis undercoat it in a few days once the rust converter has done its magic.  i need to get some sills asap, then the tank can go back in and it'll be running again cos its a heavy bitch to be pushing around. also a mate dropped off 2 more heater cores so i can hopefully plug and play with the dash now. we'll see but it looks heaps easier from what i can see. thats the plan this week to get that in and working. heres hoping. 

DSCN4014_zpskk04i7cp.jpg

DSCN4016_zpshmuxcyuo.jpg

DSCN4018_zpsun95bt4h.jpg

• Like 4

another boring update sorry. i spent 6 hrs (yes really) dismantling, cleaning and reassembling a f**king heater box. i can't believe it took so long but hey. i took it apart to the last spring clip. i presswure tested the heater core and air con core. one of the heater cores was poked so im glad i did it. i cleaned and greased every solenoid and moving part and then tested the lot. i also took the fan motor apart, greased the shaft (easy) and cleaned the brushes. it comes in hard now. its literally the best heater fan i've ever heard.  its as good as new.  bit of a bogus and timewasting update granted but the workshop is still full with paid work so i cant get the falcon in again yet.im hoping to have tues to get the sills welded in. fingers crossed. 

20170423_094546_zpsrlqp9enu.jpg

20170423_140940_zpsk3vit2uw.jpg

20170423_140952_zps7jzzkrhu.jpg

• Like 1

man i'm poked. managed to get the passenger sill on with massive help from Stan, the guys a legend i cant thank him enough. i still need to tidy up the ends but the strength is there. they're not bad repo panels either. theres a 5mm difference in one of the lines which is huge, granted, but somehow it doesn't look too bad when fitted.  

DSCN4019_zpsres03uye.jpg

DSCN4020_zps3ey8ynns.jpg

DSCN4021_zpsndafza9j.jpg

DSCN4022_zpsai9bikpb.jpg

DSCN4023_zpsttiqwswm.jpg

DSCN4024_zps2pqqpqpl.jpg

DSCN4025_zpset4kuunw.jpg

DSCN4026_zpstwywiwxm.jpg

shut lines like a mercedes! 

DSCN4027_zpsxdpg2ka5.jpg

this weekend we'll be back into it. 

discussion 

• Like 8

not an exciting update today, more cutting, welding and grinding. i made my first ever patches that weren't flat pieces today too. had mad fun doing it too, Stan would draw the outline of the piece he wanted on the steel, then i'd make the cardboard template, cut out the piece with a nibbler (crazy fun to use) and attempt to bend and hammer it into a shape that resembled the original before cutting out the rotten piece. Stan would look at it, frown, give it a few taps after me spending 20 minutes on it and it looking like shit, within 20 seconds he had a perfectly shaped panel. thats experience for you. I had awesome fun learning basics of how to shape, shrink and stretch though. inimal pictures too cos the day just flew but i'll take some more soon anyway.  she's looking like she might turn out alright after all. 

DSCN4044_zpsajhngx7j.jpg

DSCN4045_zpswe4apzrh.jpg

DSCN4046_zpsx6s4yjwu.jpg

DSCN4048_zpsbzzkxqo7.jpg

DSCN4050_zpsq2wysytk.jpg

DSCN4051_zpsfguvq6rv.jpg

this picture really doesnt do justice to the work it took to rebuild the whole inner sill at the front, but most on here are far more skilled than me and know exactly the time and steps it takes anyway. plus with welding sparks and grinding dust all over the place i kept my camera across the workshop so it was a ballache to keep getting it. 

DSCN4052_zpsojzsqqim.jpg

i wonder why this piece rotted out! 

DSCN4047_zpswf2x2gyk.jpg

also i've scored a sedan rear axle with lsd diff and disk brakes, i'm unsure out of what though. it was fitted to an XF sedan, did these come with rear disks? and i know i cant swap the whole thing over cos coil and leaf springs difference but does anyone know it i can swap the insides like for like? i havent started to look into it yet, but just after some info. 

chur. 

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/54385-mighty-joes-xf-falcoon-of-filth/

• Like 6

started on the other side today. i'm actually fed up now of finding more rust. i know its a ford but christ the way these are put together is nuts. the double skins, dirt and water traps,, and different channels and areas between panels that make no sense. anyway i'm just fed up of not being able to get to the part i want to fix in the first place yet! lol. i'm not going to work on it tomorrow i'm going up to hopefully remove an lsd rear disk axle. we shall see how that pans out. 

20170506_091225_zpsfv78hkzl.jpg

20170506_095809_zps202efzp3.jpg

i made this side! came out well. 

20170506_100653_zps2fozdzyx.jpg

20170506_131048_zpsr5cvps3b.jpg

20170506_131054_zpsyppfklvk.jpg

proof we did this bit too! 

20170506_100935_zps5wpqlikr.jpg

and with the front end welding finished i was able to give it a quick tidy up, etch prime any bare metal and then put stonechip on. 

20170506_125151_zpskoexkjnv.jpg

it wont happen yet but i think i'm ready to fit the wings and align them for paint. progress! 

potato spec pics today sorry. til next week....

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

ah shit man! 3 weeks without an update and a solid month since i did the other sill! shit man that went fast :(  had a day away from it cos i was poked, a weekend off due to family birthdays and other obligations and now here we are. 99.99999% of the welding is done. thanks buggery for that. its all done i think, but you just never know. 

Same old same old. small hole, make a big hole, no hole! 

2_zpsl3zmylp9.jpg

3_zpsrx7x3fgq.jpg

4_zpsupvqb0ci.jpg

DSCN4054_zpsfgmripy3.jpg

DSCN4055_zpsu6p0zbqe.jpg

its a bit frankenstein in the inner wheel well but i couldn't be fucked, neither could stan, its about 3 differnt pieces and its solid. thats all i want. ill grind it back and etch prime it and just spray on some schutz. its not a show car. its a daily ute, i have to keep reminding myself of that. the lip for the arch and the body line aren't finished. 

DSCN4057_zps3pzmxvzd.jpg

So yeah, thats the other side done, now i think she's all solid. those sill panels make a bloody nice job of it i have to say, $160 each and they only require a little bit of tinkering. i'm stoked for once. we had the drivers door and guard on and off a dozen times too but no photos of that this time, no need. 

once i've ground all that back i know there'll be a few holes etc to touch in and then its onto the bog work and other mind numbing stuffs. 

chur for reading about a boring (not quite old enough) ford! 

• Like 7

Dashboard nightmares. I had too much head scratching over the heater box and after all the fucking around rebuilding the XE one i cant use it. so i stuck the xf one back in and i'll work out the vacuum lines later. wiring is another headscratcher too. theres 2 dash's. one with a crappy 'econoguage' and one with s pack clocks. so i'm building 1 good one out of the two. got a fair way into it, just still not sure if i'm gonna splice the xe dash into the xf loom where the multiplug are or run as much of the xf loom as poss and just use the XE switches. any thoughts or suggestions on this?

also did a few other small jobs that aren't really of note but it all helps. put the fuel tank back in too. 

I placed it in first cos i needed a cheap victory. awe ensued. 

DSCN4108_zpspre02bue.jpg

DSCN4109_zpshtpjyjjw.jpg

Stripped the loom out, this is the one i dont want but the dash itself is much nicer. 

DSCN4112_zps24xhd5bu.jpg

DSCN4111_zpsamhgddky.jpg

how i left it. 

DSCN4110_zpsd9jfnx01.jpg

fuel tank in, i put the lid on too, shame theres all that wasted space underneath. 

fuel%20tank_zpsnicuoxof.jpg

• Like 1