Ted Huang's Starorion - 0R10N's 1988 Mitsuhishi Starion

xsspeed

Whatever one you want to use (Im now confised as to whats in there) make sure you get it tested/rodded etc. Ive fell into the trap of hopeing that replacing everything else works when you just need to man up and get the radiator up to scratch first

Good luck!

• Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still running the L200 radiator. Wanted to replace it with the factory Starion one that I bought off Trademe, it's been sent away for reconditioning and cleaned up already.

Was meant to start fitting it on Sunday, I'd even mounted the original fans to the radiator and gave them a bit of a clean all ready to go. But then I noticed the coolant leak and thought maybe the existing system was losing pressure from not having all of its hose clamps done up tight. In hindsight that proved not to be the case.

I'll keep going with the original plan of fitting the Starion radiator, new thermostat, and trying to figure out how to get the original cooling fan circuit working again. It's not a direct straight swap as I don’t know what the previous owner did with the electrical system to fit those custom fans and sensors, and can already see half the plugs have been replaced with non standard ones.

Can't swap the big electric fans over to the Starion radiator because the factory radiator support bracket gets in the way.

• Like 1

^^ (replace) this. Also, I had trouble with fans in a repowered sj410, and in short  the solution was proper shrouds. The air just circulated without them, (although regularly filling the rad with mud that wouldn't always wash out in a river crossing probably didn't help).

Yeah admittedly the aftermarket fans might be garbage too.

They kick in at approx. the level where the first snafflechat picture was taken. They stay on but the temperature continues to rise.

Second picture was before it got actual hot. Sits maybe 5/7ths of the way up the gauge. I can never remember to get a photo because I'm too busy stressing out, lawl.

• Like 1

Fans spinning wrong way? Will make all the noise in the world, but not be doing anything.

If it keeps cool at open road speeds, then it suggests the radiator is alright.

If the temp creeps up at low speeds, and the fans don't do shit, then it will likely be the fans being dumb.

Check they're spinning the right way. And change wiring to suit if they're not.

Also, if fans are correct, check that the air is flowing front to back through radiator. Don't want the fans "pissing into the wind"

Will have to hunt around for the proof, but pretty sure the water pump was done at the same time as the cambelt and balance shaft belt. Thermostat was also done but I've bought another and will change it myself just to be absolutely sure.

Oh man I didn't even think about checking the fan direction. Feels like it's sucking in instead of blowing out though.

(that's what she said)

Knock off work in just over an hour and a half, will go the back way around Riverhead to avoid the horrific queues at Greville/Consternation, then start investigations when I get home.

• Like 1

Both pipes are hot, hot, hot.

(that's what she said)

Have checked pretty much all the obvious shit and really about the only things left are thermostat, water pump, fan direction, and the radiator.

Sigh, you'd think I would be better at diagnosing cooling system issues having owned (and BHG'd) a bunch of Mazda E5T and B6T engines before, which overheat if you look at them funny. Or maybe not ;)

• Like 1

Just realized I do, but never uploaded the photo.

Here it is (and now also sneakily edited into the build thread also). It's meticulously tidy, which is a great testament to its previous owners, hopefully I can keep it looking that way.

30396564646_c727bc3b87_b.jpg

Red rocker cover as imagined, and lots and lots of piping, wiring and associated gubbins. There is definitely a lot going on.

• Like 1

Yup, the ABS module and associated crap is in a giant tangle of shit in a box that came in the boot.

Same with all of the A/C gear, which was going to be my first mission until this overheating kerfuffle got in the way.

That intake pipe is definitely non standard. Would quite happily stick my spare Evo 6 ABV in place of that bung but damned if I can figure out how to recirculate it without chopping the standard piping.

I may have to fly you over for a weekend of figuring out all this garbage!

• Like 1