Ted Huang's Starorion - 0R10N's 1988 Mitsuhishi Starion

xsspeed

Better equipped, better diff ratio, DASH 3x2 engine, and overall it keeps within the theme of having 100% Jap import cars in my collection.

Haven't noticed any bad reflections from the dashboard (yet) but it hasn't been overly sunny recently so maybe I'm in for a treat...

Ordered a thermostat and will be dropping the legit Starion radiator off today for inspection, so we'll see how we go from there.

After driving the car for the better part of a week now I can safely say that it feels very GT-car like, "pudgy" with a bit of steering input lag, and the lazy turbo and tall diff take a lot of getting used to. It even tramlines and bump steers a bit with the 16s unfortunately. But other than that, it looks mad while driving around, and the cockpit is a nice place to be, so I can't fault it too much.

Hoping to take it on an out of town roadtrip soon.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hybrid a tc05 to 06 front cover. Completely changes car for not much money.

I would just say swap to a TD05-16G from an Evo1-3 - features the response of the TC05 with the higher flow of the TC06 and has two journal bearings instead of one as a bonus. Both the TC05 and TC06 maps are poor for late 80s standards.

Shall investigate. As mentioned it's not a direct swap is it? The freshly rebuilt TC06 on there could benefit from being squirreled away for safekeeping.

Hopefully I'll be able to sell my spare TD04 soon, the guy who has been interested for months is finally getting around to rebuilding his 4E-FTE.

I would just say swap to a TD05-16G from an Evo1-3 - features the response of the TC05 with the higher flow of the TC06 and has two journal bearings instead of one as a bonus. Both the TC05 and TC06 maps are poor for late 80s standards.

Ideally yes but TC requires no mods, is cheap, unnoticeable and works. Td fitment leads to further work that personally I can't justify unless moving to MPI.

I'll chuck the kettle on, Dave!

Should totally keep those old tablets and bandages & stuff, the faces on the boxes would have died of old age by now.

Yeah, I'll hang on to the original first aid kit contents, they should safely survive the next 20 years in a zip-lock bag inside a Sistema container.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, yeah for sure. I'm going to be simultaneously pissed and stoked if this turns out to be the issue!

But I know well enough not to count my chickens before they're hatched. Trial by fire will be driving it to work tomorrow.

• Like 1

Cheers Philly!

I noticed there's a sticker on the cam cover with the recommended plug gap while tightening up all those hose clamps yesterday. Odd that BNT would sell me the 1.1mm gap plugs, but that's what's listed in their system for G63B turbo I guess.

The spark plugs look like a bish to replace with the turbo and piping in the way, will tackle it after work. Hopefully I won't need to remove anything but I foresee UJs galore!

Oh by the way, that maroon widebody GSR-VR you mentioned earlier was apparently sold to a local film production company.

• Like 1

50 points to Beaver, tightening up all the clamps only slowed the problem down. Overheated again this morning (I didn't drive it to work yesterday) but not as badly as before.

Took maybe 15 minutes instead of 5 minutes for the needle to creep past halfway and above the 3/4 mark while sitting in traffic.

Also noticed that idling around the work carpark for 5 minutes causes the temperature to rise significantly.

I haven't really paid much attention to the previous owner's custom fan setup yet, but the L200 radiator has twin aftermarket bazooka electric fans fitted - which make a hell of a racket and look like they pull tonnes of air, mated up to a custom thermo switch in the bottom radiator hose.

What I did notice is that when the fans come on, they stay on for an eternity, meanwhile the temperature doesn't really decrease at all.

Will most likely have to deconstruct the entire system in order for the factory Starion radiator and electric fan to be fitted, but I'm worried that if two giant aftermarket fans don't help cool it down, what hope does a single shitty 1980s one have?

Meanwhile, I'll send that L200 radiator to the shop.