Fagoffs 73 HQ Sedan

fagoff

For HVLP setups I bought an english made Earlex setup. It cost about $200 or so and Ive painted three vehicles with it. Not show standard but fine for a daily. Probably more my skill level at laying on paint than he machine. Could have sanded down layers in between for a better finish but my patience wears thin rather than the paint...

• Like 1

the HVLP type I want is gravity fed and works off a conventional compressor ,though they don't need as much cfm as a conventional gun. mine needs less than 10 cfm to operate at less than 20 psi and supposedly puts more paint on the car so less wastage and overspray. I did paint the HQ with it last time and have been told its not a bad finish. I just figure a better quality one should do a better job. Mine was off the interweb and cost less than $ 100. I am  going to spend more time and effort on prep this time as I know that's the key to a better finish. I have done a few cars before . I'm not going back to bare metal . I'm machine sanding with 120 grt then 240 grt then dry hand sand with 320 or 400 if I can find some. Seal coat then wet and dry with 800 gt. Topcoat then flat off with 1500 gt then machine cut and polish and glaze.

That's the plan anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Primer was Resenes 440 industrial epoxy primer,two pack, dries very tough and hard to sand off. topcoat is Lucite LC 400, metallic acrylic lacquer,and lacquer clears, gun is an AMX MP 400.

I machine sanded with 180 grt dry discs then by hand with 320 w/d paper before primer then 600 w/d paper before topcoat, clearcoat. Then flatted off with 1200 w/d cut with Evercoat, heavyduty rubbing compound ,then finished off with Juice cutting compound which took all the swirl marks out and polished like glass.

• Like 2