Greenies 1976 sigma

Greenie

Right so have been looking into how to get this thing lowered and I haven't been able to find a set of lowering Springs listed for the 76 galant. So would anyone know whether there are any other makes or models that I could fit? Either another model's Springs that would lower it off the bat or other models I could buy lowering Springs for and they would fit??? Help please!!??

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/54160-greenies-mitsubishi-galant-sigma-discussion/

• 3 weeks later...

Right so with the lack of funds this week just decided to do what I could with what I had, so I managed to move the mirrors around and put them up the front, I re glued the chrome strip round the top of the windscreen, and also replaced the starter motor as the one that was on there was getting little tired. So starts first pop nowith:)

Was also about to paint my rims and stick them on although now I am in desperate need of lowering

post-18014-0-74329700-1476643727_thumb.jpg

post-18014-0-28265100-1476643738_thumb.jpg

post-18014-0-51066100-1476643747_thumb.jpg

post-18014-0-66806800-1476643860_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Right, only a small post today but ive had a few things arrive. My ebay steering wheel and boss kit arrived (cheap,nasty and fast delivery, cant go wrong) As well as my front lowering springs which will go in once the rear ones turn up.

Thats all, thanks all :)

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/54160-greenies-mitsubishi-galant-sigma-discussion/

post-18014-0-17108100-1477940756_thumb.jpg

post-18014-0-95436200-1477940763_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Okay so i picked up my rear springs last week and even tho it was raining sunday i convinced dad to move one of hes cars out of the shed so i could work inside, and after it taking me less than 5 mins to do the rears it took me about 6 more hrs to figure out the fronts as removing the front strut out of one of these is not as straight forward as anyother car ive seen.. but in any case its done. Its still not as low as id like but its a solid 30-40mm lower so cant complain. Might look into getting the springs compressed later but for now itll do :)

Discussion here //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/54160-greenies-mitsubishi-galant-sigma-discussion/

post-18014-0-69400100-1478465076_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

HELP NEEDED!?!?

so my headlights have gone. I tried to plug my iner headlights in and as soon as i turned them on there was a big puff of smoke at the front near the battery and now my headlights arnt going at all and i am stumped as to why. Ive tested all the wires running to and from the headlights and the switch but they are all fine so im guessing there is a fuse or relay somewhere im not seeing thats blowen or the headlights themselves... HELP!?

• 2 weeks later...

Made a MASSIVE rookie mistake yesterday, drove from tauranga to Hamilton without checking the oli before i left so the car started making some horrific noises before i pulled over and put oil in (were i found it was bone dry) but the damage was done and we broke down about 3 times trying to limp home but barely made it out of Hamilton before completely shitting out.

So ending the day on the back of a tow truck and now i have some trouble shooting to do to find out whats really gone on and to decided on what is the best way to get it back on the road, be it fixing it or engine swap (but with what!?)

post-18014-0-03614500-1479588404_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So made some progress over the weekend toward getting this back on the road.

Picked up a 4g54 i scored of Stazza, (shot for the hock up!)

So got the old engine out on sunday and started tearing it apart to swap shit onto the other motor.

Equiered a list in order to give the new engine some much needed tcl before putting it in.

List as is follows;

Oil filter

Fuel filter

Air filter

Engine oil

G box oil

Intake gasket

Exhaust gasket

Dizzy cap

Cluch kit

Gasket paper (for water pump)

Gasket goo

Maniseal

And oil stabilizer for later.

(Anything i might of forgoten that might help, please let me know!?)

Should be enough to be able to give it the best chance of running right

Also going to give everything a mad clean before slapping it in.

And need to test the alternaters so i can put the better one back on.

Used the new shit box i equiered to get the engine home and got the bro Darryl to give us a hand on sunday to get shit done (funny how willing people are to help when free beer is involved)

Discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/54160-greenies-mitsubishi-galant-sigma-discussion/

post-18014-0-48436200-1480294204_thumb.jpg

post-18014-0-30791500-1480294213_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Made a little bit more progress today, finished cleaning the engine, manifold and bits and pieces and got most of it back together. Just have to swap the waterpum, alternater fan and cam belt over to the new moter, put the clutch on and then put it in all back in the car :) fun times!

post-18014-0-21115000-1480841741_thumb.jpg

post-18014-0-28379500-1480841752_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Okay after a long break of having no motivation to do anything I finially got my shit together and slapped the motor in!! I considered it a big deal because I've never swaped an engine out before but i finally got it in.

All i have to do now is alot of stuff... and then try start it!! 

So i took it off the axle stands for a celebratory photo for more motivation :D

20170110_181028-1024x576.jpg

• Like 7

• 8 months later...

Rightio well since my last post on this thing alot has changed for me so progress on all my builds has been at a stand still. Have moved to a different town and in my new living situation it hasnt been possible to bring it with me in its current state along with not having somewhere practical to store or work it..  But ive been trying to do my research on what i need to do in order finish it off once i finally able to bring it down to where i am. 

Everything in regards to the engine is ready to go, the only thing thats holding me back is the drive sharft.. the one off the sigma doesnt fit the back of the 4g54's gbox so i need to figure out what the next step is and im at a loss.. from what i can guess i need to find a drivesharft that will fit the box and get the yoke swapped onto my old drivesharft so that its the right length and fits onto the diff.  but as to what donor cars will have the right sized yoke im not sure.. so if any of you car gods out there have ideas on what i can do to remedy my problem i would deeply appreciate youre advice and help!  

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Today was massive, after a over a yr (just..) and finally having moved into a place with my own garage. I roped in a mate and his car trailer to move my galant from its sorry state (as pictured above) to its new resting place. 

Gave the girl a good bath and put the interior back together before pushing it inside for the day. 

The motivation is strong. So will hopefully get my ass into gear and put some work into her. Keen af to see it back on the road. 

20180922_152837-1612x1209.jpg

• Like 8

So I've decided to go full send.. as the car isnt running I have a had good look aroundand the orange peal and bubbles of rust are more annoying and more present than first thought. 

Since having it back in the garage I changed the drive shaft yoke over that was kindly gifted (months ago) by @MaxPower(GC) . Was harder to do than first thought but with a little brute force and ignorance I got it done. This was the major thing holding me back after first swapping the engine and now thats done technically it should drive.. BUT not going to bother until later (as bad as that sounds). I want to sort paint and rust out before I do as I'm toying with the idea of rebuilding the OG 2L engine anyway.. was going to price up some one to do it for me but dad thinks between him and me we would be about to do it ourselves cheaper than getting a shop to do it. 

In any case I'm confident I can fix about 98% of the rust myself so I stole a welder and grinder off my old man today and made a start on the tedious process of sanding the car back. I'm hoping it's better than it looks but not holding my breath. Not going to got full bare metal but from what I have done so far it's gonna be a lot of shading to get to the bottom of the orange peal. Also I'm planning on painting it myself, I've been told prep is key and was already in no rush to get this done so I think I should be alright. 

Anyway will update with progress when more is made. Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

Being trying to make a dent in this before our baby arrives, pretty much finished stripping the car and have started sanding and cutting out the rust. Doesnt look too bad at this point. Have only found a couple larger areas of rust that I've since cut out, but some spots seem to just be surface rust and a small hole or two so should just be able to clean and weld those ones up. Need to pick up some sheet metal to patch the larger holes. 

Also dug through the box of parts I still had at my parents and found the tin of paint that came with car so stoked on that, I'm hoping its enough once mixed with thinners that I dont have to buy any more colour and only have to get primer and clear. 

Been too lazy to take many photos photos but heres one some rust in the right rear wheel arch, good times :)

cheers 

20181006_150454-1612x1209.jpg

• 10 months later...

So after almost 3yrs sitting outisde uncovered I finally decided to crack into the old 4g52 that I fucked all those yrs ago to see what actually happened.

I only decided to do so as even though I have a different engine in the car now I was contemplating rebuilding it down the line so I can restore the car to its original form.

The motor is seized, and apon taking the head off things looked grim.. 

Metal in the sup didnt show signs of promise either. 

And the nail in the coffin was the lack number3 rod bearing which explains the material found in the sump. The other bearings and the crankshaft looked below average aswell.. 

So from this point I have abit of thinking to do,   along with new bearings allround, pistons, rings,  possible re-sleeving, a valve job, crankshaft re-ground, a cam and all associated machining costs I'm not sure if it's going to be a worth while venture..  so if anyone has suggestions or knows where I can find another 4g52 please dont hesitate to let me know.

(I didnt take any photos after I took the sump off because my hands were covered in shit but i did get one of the rust and water in the cylinders, will get more later maybe. ) 

Cheers. 

20190817_115835-1612x1209.jpg