Bugatti T57/59 engine

danger

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, shrike said:

Did the original chassis have the speed holes (dimples) in it? are you using similar materials or updated to modern specs?

Yeah they do have speed holes. Backed with an ali sheet.

Can see them here.

image.jpeg.ebd653400122413445e641fa504efabc.jpeg

Original material was a mild steel. Probably low grade (in todays standards and variable. ‘Low background’ pre war stuff so you can’t really buy that.

So they’re done from G250 mild steel (I think, maybe it was G300). Either way, in theory significantly more consistent and stiffer than the original. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Not-a-number said:

Yeah they do have speed holes. Backed with an ali sheet.

Can see them here.

image.jpeg.ebd653400122413445e641fa504efabc.jpeg

Original material was a mild steel. Probably low grade (in todays standards and variable. ‘Low background’ pre war stuff so you can’t really buy that.

So they’re done from G250 mild steel (I think, maybe it was G300). Either way, in theory significantly more consistent and stiffer than the original. 

Awesome, is there any logic to the placement of the speed holes? are they actually dimpled or just hole sawed out?

Guessing the backing was for weight saving/aerodynamics?

Somehow I’ve not previously seen this thread… so I’ve just had the jaw-dropping experience of reading it from end to end :)

Bloody hell…… no messing!  Thought the block casting was epic… but that sump!! So he goes and makes several:shock:

This does actually deserve the word AWESOME!

• Like 7

20 hours ago, shrike said:

Awesome, is there any logic to the placement of the speed holes? are they actually dimpled or just hole sawed out?

Guessing the backing was for weight saving/aerodynamics?

Seems like they put them everywhere they could except for main mounting points. Like engine, gearbox, bulkhead and braces. Left about ~30-40mm material from the edges and to each hole.

Not dimpled just straight through.

The holes save 7kg total. Which is a bit when the whole car had a max weight limit of 750kg.

The Ali backing to the holes keeps everything closed off. Since thats the cockpit. Aero/keeping junk out

5 hours ago, dabuzz said:

Just jaw dropping stuff, love this build

Probably wasn't the done thing back then, but engineering some negative camber into it while you're there wouldn't be such a bad thing imo

image.png.c270cb207a8ff02d08df81f91f8f399a.png

Not that Ive ever driven anything with positive camber but the prewar cars usually had it so that there was no scrub radius. Puts the contact patch right through the king pin to give light steering.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VitesseEFI said:

Somehow I’ve not previously seen this thread… so I’ve just had the jaw-dropping experience of reading it from end to end :)

Bloody hell…… no messing!  Thought the block casting was epic… but that sump!! So he goes and makes several:shock:

This does actually deserve the word AWESOME!

Thanks appreciate it.

23 hours ago, Not-a-number said:

Not that Ive ever driven anything with positive camber but the prewar cars usually had it so that there was no scrub radius. Puts the contact patch right through the king pin to give light steering.

On 17/11/2023 at 11:19, dabuzz said:

Just jaw dropping stuff, love this build

Probably wasn't the done thing back then, but engineering some negative camber into it while you're there wouldn't be such a bad thing imo

image.png.c270cb207a8ff02d08df81f91f8f399a.png

Like @Not-a-number says for light steering is a big thing but its a major handling stability reason for having positive camber on beam axle vehicles.  Negative camber creates positive scrub radius which makes them handle poorly.

Surprisingly enough Bugatti had the front end alignment pretty well sorted for the wheel/tyre combos of the time 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 08/02/2024 at 20:41, anglia4 said:

Looking good! I love a nice detailed 3D model.

Thanks. Doing a proper 'functional' detailed CAD takes a lot of time. I think what I have now will keep me going for a while once I can start making things again!

• Like 3

On 17/11/2023 at 17:00, Not-a-number said:

Seems like they put them everywhere they could except for main mounting points. Like engine, gearbox, bulkhead and braces. Left about ~30-40mm material from the edges and to each hole.

Not dimpled just straight through.

The holes save 7kg total. Which is a bit when the whole car had a max weight limit of 750kg.

The Ali backing to the holes keeps everything closed off. Since thats the cockpit. Aero/keeping junk out

came here to ask why they had positive camber- reason makes sense!

Might look weird if you reduce it (I know you wont anyway because you want this thing to be as close to origional as possible)