Bens 1961 Belair.

• 2 weeks later...

So have done a bit of work on this old girl. Have replaced all the rear suspension bushes, the rear shocks and am just working on the rear brakes replacing the wheel cylinders and fitting a brake shoe self adjusting kit, no pictures of that as its boring stuff.

Don't worry though I do have some pictures. Shakotom kindly loaned me a couple of Hundy spokes so I could gauge what size I wanted as you can get them in real OG 13x7 which will be too small in my opinion. You can also get them in 14's but they are only 6" wide so I'm thinking they maybe too skinny. Or they do them in a 15x8, which is what these are.

23F0F47A-8913-4E46-873B-2B5D1863AECE_zps

4CF5222B-8C01-45B7-8582-D375BC57F4BD_zps

The 15's seem to be the logical choice, they still have that huge guard/small rim look, but I cam still run a reasonable width tyre, but I think the 14's may look better/more traditional,

Oh and here's a rough paintshop job that I did to give me inspiration

FC5F3EDB-24C7-441B-A366-C2DAF5404163_zps

Chur

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

So ordered the parts that I wasn't able to get from chucks, from rockauto they took two weeks to turn up which was agony haha, but in the end I was able to finish off the rear end

D56064CC-4C94-4064-AFCF-3619C73EFA1D_zps

And tonight made a start on the front end, kinda sucks knowing that I'll be putting standard height springs back in but want to keep things simple for compliance. Anyway got the L/H upper an lower control arms out, am gonna have to try match up some ball joint boots up as the ones on it are in shit condition so fingers crossed that I can find something to work. Also had to remove the steering shaft to get the upper arm out an in doing so found a crack in the rag joint, so that will need replacing too.

4B2E82B6-9DD9-41BF-B20E-495965E17996_zps

Will get the other side apart an then sort out what to do next.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well the front end is all done, pretty much the same recipe as the rear: new shocks, suspension bushes, ball joints brake hoses, brake shoe hardware, new steering rag joint.

870D7491-66A6-4EA4-BA76-E4E450A07AEC_zps

9AB1362B-C2F3-46CC-8113-35B82883A204_zps

Had issues with the fuel pump too, it stopped pumping, I've pulled it apart and everything seems in order put it back together and it is now working but I'm not 100% trusting in it.

Car is now booked in to have floor pans and seatbelt mounts done at end of the month at Tin Tricks/Custom metalshapers

In other news I sold my VL so that has freed up some coin to put into this old girl, so will be ordering a smaller grants steering wheel (as my larger frame struggles to get between the seat an steering wheel), set of 100 spokes and airbag kit very soon

I've also been shopping on my second favourite website (behind O/S obviously) rockauto.com and bought a few maintanance items. Carb rebuild kit, new fuel pump (am still a bit suspicious of the current one), engine gasket set, new universal joint for the drive shaft (current one has a bit of play in it)

Once I get it back from getting floor pans it will be a case of refitting everything putting a temporary high stop lamp in and going for compliance and seatbelt cert.

Discuss here: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/53628-bens-61-belair-talky-talk/page-2#entry1751549

• Like 3

So I've ordered an airbag setup from Simon at Airridenz (look him up here: https://m.facebook.com/airridenz/)

Am very excite! Plan is to airbag it before cert and compliance so we can roll the summer legal, wheels have been put on hold until we see how much $$ is left over after doing the floor pans and seatbelts. Simon also put me onto have a contact at the mount who sells decent quality 100 spokes however so they are still in the pipeline.

Parts from rockauto have been shipped and to my surprise all from the same location, on the same shipping docket! Hopefully they avoid being shipped via Belgium this time.

• Like 5

Christmas came early!!!

F7377B36-7659-45FD-B70E-ADD93980CFB7_zps

Also forgot to mention earlier. I sent my wiper motor off to be repaired, Wayne Grimmer at Western auto electrical did a fantastic job and for a reasonable price ($320inc where as a new one was $550-800 depending on whether I imported myself or went through chucks)

the fuel gauge didn't work it always read full. I carried out checks to make sure that it wasn't a faulty sender or a short in the signal wire, which it wasn't. Sent the gauge to Robinsons instruments who found an internal short and repaired if for $160,

So now all the electricals are working good (except for the dash lights which isn't very high on my list of concerns)

Now the waiting game to send the car off for the floor pans/seatbelt mounts begins. Then install airbags, refit interior, cert, compliance, Drive.......... if only it was that easy haha

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Custom metalshapers today to drop the seats off so that Matt can finalise seatbelt mounts, luckily for me both the front and rear upper seatbelt mounts are a major so that's hurting the budget a bit, but with the kids going in the back you can't put a price on safety. On the plus side one floor plan is almost replaced and the quality of work is fantastic

Here's the old girl in her temporary accomodation:

C1C53C2B-B17F-48A8-8190-67D7016DEBF6_zps

New floor pan:

AB14EA86-0B9F-4D5B-9CDE-E39B12CDB760_zps

AE9B169F-6CBD-4FF2-9FF4-31BCE8DE0067_zps

And here's the state of the other side yet to be replaced:

8D0489BA-F2C5-4C79-A9DC-05A08CC81419_zps

Hopefully not too much longer till she's back home and the airride can go in!

• Like 4

Small update. Have been getting all the bits and pieces ready for the cars return (which has been delayed, but more on that later) just got all the airbag brackets back from powdercoating,

6F658DD4-40D1-4D97-97EF-9DF3247AC299_zps

All my parts turned up from rockauto so should be able to minimise the leaks, get a decent supply of fuel, and get rid of the minor driveline shudder, New Grants steering wheel has turned up, just waiting for the bosskit to turn up. So exciting to have all the parts turn up. It's like Christmas all the time haha

Like I said unfortunately we have run into problems at the metal workers, Clint has been out and feels that the rear floorpans are too thin and as such he won't cert the seatbelt mounts. Fair call obviously, so new floorpans are on their way to Custom metalshapers and all going to plan they will be able to start on them next week and have the car back to me by the end of next week. Then I'll paint the inside of the floor with POR15, etch prime and underseal the underneath. Then it's onto the airbags!!!

Got to add one more picture and while it's not related I'm sure most of you will recognise Shakotom......

82633E04-85C1-4350-8755-0C77A9F580C5_zps

That's right it took 4 of them to get one silicone hose off of a piece of alloy pipe,

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the old girl home at the weekend, so now the hard work starts for me!

9996AC27-D34F-4673-9339-F6AC142E39F3_zps

My dog Ziggy keeping an eye on things

Started with a fun job, scraping off the old seam sealer, the missus is chomping at the bit to get the car done so I put her to work to help scraping it off. All done now so hopefully this weekend I will have the rest of the floor ready to por15 and Seam seal

4D238BC2-A683-4654-BB04-A2FA57423804_zps

Really stoked with the quality of work from Matt at Tin Tricks/custom metalshapers

Look him up on Facebook under Tin Tricks!

Hopefully have some regular updates from here on in!

• Like 7

Well the tedious job of stripping the remainder of the floors has been finished. Not a fun job at all, and not made easier by the fact that the previous owner had used contact glue to put the carpet in so there was a nice layer of hardened glue to get through before I even got to the paint.

Before:

4D238BC2-A683-4654-BB04-A2FA57423804_zps

After:

986D37B6-63D1-4CFC-832C-50477AF679D5_zps

Also had a fight with the knotted wire wheel, I lost:

1402D912-EFA6-4B7C-BCC9-3EE6B6164296_zps

While my son slept today and I was on limited noise allowance from the wife I made a start on some of the little engine jobs, I replaced the side plate gasket, replaced the rocker cover gasket, fitted a new fuel pump, fitted a new set of ht leads.

Doing this work highlighted a few things. Firstly getting the dizzy back in (needed to be removed to get the side plate off) is a real pain in the arse as it drives the oil pump too and getting that lined up took me a while as it feels like it's all located an the engine starts an runs but has no oil pressure. Secondly the valve clearance needs to be set as there is no clearance at all.

There's is still more gaskets and seals to be replaced but they are at the bottom of the priority list.

Tomorrow I should be good to wipe the floor down with brakelene, and put the por15 metal prep down, then Tuesday all going to plan should see the first coat of por15 and seal sealing get done!

Feel free to tell me there was an easier way to have done this: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/53628-bens-61-belair-talky-talk/page-3#entry1773980

• Like 1

So I've been reading up about lowriders. Apparently wrapping the frame is common, not quite sure I'm on the same page though:

B616F03F-E5FC-4254-BDA7-0729FAD29600_zps

Just kidding obviously, however the frame is now covered ready for the underseal to be done on the weekend. So far so good with the progress. All going to plan I'll be starting on the airbag install next week!

Tell me how lame my dad jokes are here: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/53628-bens-61-belair-talky-talk/page-3#entry1773980

• Like 5

As I said before I would be starting on the airbags this week. All going to plan I should have the front bags all installed. Need to work out how I'm going to mount the valves in the engine bay as they aren't the prettiest thing in the world. Took me a little while to get the first one done but the other side should be a bit quicker.

76F9CE1B-13A4-44BE-9C92-1B5BDC12AC0F_zps

And couldn't help myself.

B9F47D26-904E-40C6-9A0C-7CBD35515402_zps

That's sitting on the factory bumpstop. Can't wait to see it on the ground for real!!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

So I've been so busy working on this that this thread fell back to the 4th page!! 

As as it stands. All the airbags are fitted, lines are all run, wiring is all complete. Tank and compressors all mounted 

Ended up having to run all the valves directly on the tank. I'm running 1/2" air brake line and when I mounted the valves in the engine bay I had issues with the upper arm kinking the line to the bag. Which in turn meant I had wasted a meter or two of line and had to buy another 6 meter length of it! As there was literally just enough supplied initially  (and had I not fudged up that wouldn't have been an issue) so here's what the boot looks like

04EB2B9A-9FAB-4222-807A-B235FCC848B5_zps

Still a couple of things/issues to sort out, 

firstly I need to shorten the compressor wiring and cover it in the conduit I've used for everything else

secondly, there is 3 fittings in the that I've got that need to be changed as they leak. I went to ENZED and got some Fraggola aluminium adapters but I'm not sure if they are the correct thread as they leak like no ones business, they wind in ok but the only leaks I have so far are those 3

gotta say I'm pretty happy with how the back sits

7CCFEA13-0AFB-4DB9-9CC4-3B64BB5A005A_zps

and this is how it's sitting at the moment (the front is actually on the jack. But the battery went flat/airleaks meant I couldn't build enough pressure to lift the front)

88069C5C-AD17-479E-9860-50F035557165_zps

and here's a little video of me playing with the back (less weight so requires less air/before the battery went flat from the compressors running) 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So Cert is booked for the 13th Feb and I've been busy working on getting everything finished,

All the Airlines have been secured every 300mm or less, ive fixed the leaky exhaust, just have a tailpipe extension to weld on,

the biggest thing ive had to do is make my front shock mounts, I had to get a spacer machined up to space out the bottom mount as it would've fouled on the brake line mount, and for the upper mounts i got a bit of 2x2 box section, cut it diagonally length ways, boxed the top, and welded them into the car, 

8EF7F030-4586-4E18-9F78-8DDBBA56FA34_zps

ended up having to trim the leading gusset as on full drop the top of the shock body fouled (Simon from Airride NZ said he uses right angle and now i can see why haha

Car is booked in for a Wheel alignment on friday so i think we are as set to go as i can be, will see what Cletus finds, and fix that too haha

• Like 5