Hemi's 1978 C10 truck

Hemi

To add feel to those photos. I had grabbed a garbage regular machine coffee and when I hit goulburn I saw maccas and figured "well at least they have fresh beans". I rocked up about 5 mins after those buses had. 30 fucking minutes for a long black. You really early traveling school groups can go away tbh, had miles to cover.

• Like 3

So today i had a tiny bit of motivation after the UFC to pick a small job off my list and try and do it. 
Now my list is getting pretty long but most of it is small meh jobs. 

• Alternator tension biolt washer, not really a heavy enough duty and is all buckled
  • Get gear selector display working. 
  • Dash lights, they dont work at all . 
  • Window washer inop
  • Wiper blades/razor blades the winscreen and put that sealer stuff on it
  • Driveshaft centre bearing, space it upwards to lessen the angle of the u.j's ( vibration)
  • Fix the speedo issue, gauge bounces all over the show and reads 80mph at 100kph 
  • Headlight alignment.
  • Get a roadworthy (this might require rasising it up but we'll cross the bridge once there.
  • Thermostat, figure out what going on there, either its running at the right temp and the gauge is wrong, or the gauge is right and it is running cold (which would help explain the high fuel consumption (18.3l/100km)
  • Wire in a cigarette lighter, would have made using the phone for gps a bit less of a hassle
  • Get a new reciever and regas the A/C, compressor and eveything works as i found out on the trip up, just needs a new reciever and some gas and should be good to go. 
  • Put in boss for a wideband and tune it. 
  • Possible rekit of carb, depends on how the tune goes.
  • Fit wing mirrors, has some little ones on it but you cant really see bugger all. the truck came with some so i will dummy them up and see how they look. 

Theres a few mor things but im not going to list them for now. 

I chose to get the selector working first as it seemed it couldnt be too hard. I hoped. 

So after staring at the steering column for a while i figured out how it worked and one of the reason it wasnt, the black plastic trim going down between the gear lever and selector display was loose on the shaft, having 2 broken clips that hold it in . bugger.

Anyway i pulled the dash cover off and has a look at the mechanism itself, all in good working order minus the fact it was outside the little guide for the wire to track in.(guide is to the left)

DSC_0577_zpsumweanoh.jpg
After this i need to figure out where the clip for the wire went on the steering trim

DSC_0578_zpshyrj2gpc.jpg

Put the wire through the guide

DSC_0579_zpsbzdmisk8.jpg

And located it on the shaft then adjusted it to get it as close as i could to each gear on the display
DSC_0580_zps5zuqmbzj.jpg

Another broken piece, ill get a screw and screw it nto place properly, hopefully it will have enough strength to hold it without the plastic bit that has now gone.Otherwise ill look at gettng a new piece of trim, no biggie though PRND not hard to drive without. Also did a sweet tape job to hold the sterring column trim on due to two of the clips being broken. seems to work ok so will do for now.

DSC_0582_zpshlfqlgop.jpg

DSC_0589_zpsyzchcitd.jpg

DSC_0590_zpsup0r0x8t.jpg

DSC_0591_zpsd3vgsi6g.jpg

Etc etc, exciting stuff!

• Like 5

Alright, so tonight I had another small nudge at doing some small but important jobs for the roadworthy/ looked at it, ummed , arred and drank some beer.
First up, the washer motor, I assumed that it would be in the bottom of the washer motor. Silly Hemi, its part of the wiper motor you ding dong. Makes perfect sense putting the pump well away from the reservoir.  Anyhow thanks to being trapped by various tool vans i had just the tool to check what was wrong with it.
The plug
DSC_0601_zps4zdl4zeb.jpg

I dun found thee earth!
DSC_0602_zpsuq1hykbz.jpg

Not an earth (or power)
DSC_0603_zpslrynsbea.jpg

Using my amazing powers of deduction and math i figured the dead wire would be the feed. So i fed it the fat. 12.7 volts even,thank you battery.
DSC_0604_zps0qynrzov.jpg

Those photos were just for the thread, nothing happened and tbh i am not even slightly interested in trying to fix that shit without getting either a new one or rebuilt unit ( incorporates the wipers, washer and whatever else it does)
So ill just plug it back in , splice the wires where a loom split is and sneaky run another set up to the oem washer bottle and replace with a Super cheap or repco washer bottle with motor attached in the bottom.

Some pics of me using my toy (anyone that does even a little bit of electrical should have this, multimeter, a power or ground, shows ground,power(and voltage) has its own ground w/circuit breaker . rah rah rah . power probe, look it up. dont be a dummy and buy it off a truck though. i got a good deal by getting the wire break kit with it (using radio waves to locate wire breaks and shorts) i think the probe can do heaps more, but i never need to use it for more.

A/c compressor doing its thing
DSC_0608_zpstol3boml.jpg

Doing its thing with some light pressure applied.

DSC_0609_zps76f1cldv.jpg
Next was the alt belt, this was very minor but seeing the washer buckled made me sad, i thought i had a 3/8" hd washer on board. I did not, 1/2" is pretty close though right, i mean you cant let it sag down or ill be batted by the alt cooling fins, YOLO. 
Im actually not happy with this and will scrounge the correct washer from somewhere
DSC_0610_zpsknaftn00.jpg

Sometimes you have to step back, and take a pic.

DSC_0611_zpsfbvk5ixg.jpg

There it is all fitted, massive job. Id like to thank the steel, wholesaler, retailer and myself for getting this washer to where it deserves to be.
DSC_0612_zpsf03s4hk4.jpg

While i was fucking about doing those thing i noticed this, it ummed me for a bit before i figured it will be a temp activated vacuum switch (opens something once the thermo has opened?) For what? I have zero idea.I might find out/no i wont.

DSC_0614_zpsqrir91hr.jpg

The driveshaft, now according to my phone the back is 11deg and the front 4deg . that pretty much on the limit for a uj so ill have to make / shorten the bracket to get a more acceptable angle.
Also, who the fuck does centers like that, no wonder the angle is up to shit. the solid shaft should be trans side not diff, the poor slide shaft must be getting a right beating.
DSC_0622_zps4czkwsuq.jpg

DSC_0626_zps4alrgpmp.jpg

The rest are foamer pics, my foamer pics. deal with it.
DSC_0628_zpsk98en2sd.jpg

DSC_0629_zpsqn6ynnqj.jpg

DSC_0630_zpskjeu4de2.jpg

• Like 6

Okey dokey, so today is a public holiday in Brissy so after a late wake up and walk i decided to get another couple jobs done. 
Started by removing the dash cluster to check the lights and lube up the gear selector needle a bit (the track was a touch warped which didnt help things. While thats out i decided to check the lights, they seem to work but ill throw new ones at it while it is apart to save dramas later on. I also decided to replace the speedo cable, Camel had purchased one but never got round to fitting, so i did. with the cluster out i could check the old one, seemed to work but could see it was winding up and you could hear scuffing noises, so i replaced it and wow, much quiet and the speedo dont bounce anymore (with a drill driving it anyhow). The cable is also 200mm longer , which is good as i can route it to have a more gentle curve in it.

DSC_0632_zps2x8opoaj.jpg

I then quickly dummied up one of the mirrors to see how they look. joined a facebook page for squarebody chevys and saw a couple trucks with these mirros on them albiet chrome, I reckon they are pretty sweet so will mount them and remove the garbage tiny ones that dont do anything.
DSC_0634_zps3lo4nui8.jpg

DSC_0633_zpswvrt3aey.jpg

I was rumming around in the cab picking up parts and seeing what else i could add to the list when i found this in the glovebox, pretty sweet spec sheet, o.g too. this truck is awesome. 
DSC_0635_zpsppexcmdl.jpg

This lead me to finding out the glovebox is held in with two screws pretty much, so thats on the list now too.

DSC_0636_zpsdblrbvsd.jpg

Diddy and i had a yarn about what else we can do in regaurd to aircon, engine,carb etc but all of those are down the list after getting it legal. i want to hoon around in it!

• Like 6

Updated my list too. 

• Alternator tension biolt washer, not really a heavy enough duty and is all buckled  Done 
  • Get gear selector display working.   Done
  • Dash lights, they dont work at all .    Yes they do, the dimmer potentiometer is a bit old and sometimes does not contact.
  • Window washer inop Needs a new motor , ill grab a motor from supecheap/ebay and mount it under the washer bottle. 
  • Wiper blades/razor blade the windscreen and put that sealer stuff on it
  • Driveshaft centre bearing, space it upwards to lessen the angle of the u.j's ( vibration)
  • Fix the speedo issue, gauge bounces all over the show and reads 80mph at 100kph This should be sorted now with the new cable
  • Headlight alignment.
  • Get a roadworthy (this might require rsising it up but we'll cross the bridge once there.
  • Thermostat, figure out what going on there, either its running at the right temp and the gauge is wrong, or the gauge is right and it is running cold (which would help explain the high fuel consumption (18.3l/100km)
  • Wire in a cigarette lighter, would have made using the phone for gps a bit less of a hassle Found a kit that will be perfect, x1 cig socket and x2 2?amp usb sockets. http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Narva-12-24V-Twin-Accessory-USB-Socket-Heavy-Duty-Acc-Dual-USB-Sockets-Flush-Mount/346718
  • Get a new reciever and regas the A/C, compressor and everything works as i found out on the trip up, just needs a new reciever and some gas and should be good to go. 
  • Fit wing mirrors, has some little ones on it but you cant really see bugger all. the truck came with some so i will dummy them up and see how they look. Have dummied these up and also seen a few c10 pics with them, im happy to fit them so will do that and some point.
  • Secure glovebox
  •  
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Righteo, today had a bit of motivation to do a couple mroe things on the truc, went for a drive to get coffee and ended up swinging past supercheap to pick up a couple things: Dash bulbs,Ciggy lighter/usb thing and also a windscreen washer motor. 
Ended up with a different model of ciggy combo as the narva one was just going to be too big to fit in the little draw. so grabbed a smaller (and half the price) supercheap item. and a washer bottle kit ( was $7 more then just the motor and came with a bottle, motor,hose, nozzles etc.)
I also decided to mount the mirrors/mirror.

DSC_0638_zpssb7r33bu.jpg

DSC_0643_zpspihcsrel.jpg\

I then moved onto the washer bottle, had to drill a couple more hole to fit, but they hide behind the new bottle and i got use reuse the old screws so thats cool.
DSC_0645_zpsadm1a7ud.jpg

Took a bit of faffing about as i was getting confused with what wires did what, turns out the washer motor is actually mechnical and runs on a camm with ramped teeth. what a shit setup, so i over rode that and wired in the washer motor to give full noise electrical pump power, not some weird shitty spit spit spit carryon the mech one does. Then i routed the wires into the loom and tidied everything up.
DSC_0651_zpsgcgt2mf0.jpg

Working

After this I decided that while not important , may aswell install the ciggy lighter because the dash was apart,i had a new part and it was easy. So i went about finding a feed, luck would have it that the fuseboard had a spare fused acc pin , yay! it also had a spare ground so made things super easy to wire up legit. i was going to epoxy it down but found it came with some sweet 3m sticky pads that hold it in place just fine. so now i have power in the cab. yay!

DSC_0653_zpstfwvorka.jpg

DSC_0654_zps2xd0dknt.jpg

Not the prettiest but it will work well.

DSC_0656_zps84zqysgq.jpg

And all hidden away

DSC_0657_zpsajjazc8c.jpg

• Like 7

List:

• Alternator tension biolt washer, not really a heavy enough duty and is all buckled  Done 
  • Get gear selector display working.   Done
  • Dash lights, they dont work at all .    Yes they do, the dimmer potentiometer is a bit old and sometimes does not contact.
  • Window washer inop Needs a new motor , ill grab a motor from supecheap/ebay and mount it under the washer bottle. 
  • Wiper blades/razor blade the windscreen and put that sealer stuff on it
  • Fix the speedo issue, gauge bounces all over the show and reads 80mph at 100kph This should be sorted now with the new cable
  • Headlight alignment.
  • Get a roadworthy (this might require rsising it up but we'll cross the bridge once there.
  • Wire in a cigarette lighter, would have made using the phone for gps a bit less of a hassle Found a kit that will be perfect, x1 cig socket and x2 2?amp usb sockets. http://www.superchea...sh-Mount/346718
  • Get a new reciever and regas the A/C, compressor and everything works as i found out on the trip up, just needs a new reciever and some gas and should be good to go. 
  • Fit wing mirrors, has some little ones on it but you cant really see bugger all. the truck came with some so i will dummy them up and see how they look. Have dummied these up and also seen a few c10 pics with them, im happy to fit them so will do that and some point.
  • Secure glovebox
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Right oh , so not a huge amount done today , mainly focused on getting the thing lifterd, so ran down to Bob janes tyres not having much hope. 

I was wrong , the bird behind the counter was amazingly helpful and was on the phone to 3 place at once it looked. 
Managed to get some 17x8 5x127 in -6 . 
In hindsite, prbably should have gone +6 ( no 0 in the area) 

Should work ok though . holy crap they pretty much 32"s now 
Was pretty worried , but had another look at photos , the front has heaps of room so long is the offset doesnt put it clean into the gaurd. 
Same with the rear, mountains of room inside the gaurd, again , offset.

• Like 3

So no further updates on the truck itself , but have been doing a bit of research regarding getting it over to WA and getting it road legal, i should be ok by the looks, only hiccup is if im considered an australian resident, which im pretty sure i am. 

Also while going through bitsa and bobs there was a weight limit so started looking and remembered that the truck actually came with the handbook.
And it had a breakdown of the Vin number.
Most of the stuff was obv. it was built in Fremont.
And apparently has the Big f44 option which means it has heavier rear suspension and brakes. YAY. iunno if thats good or bad. 
got a bit caught cause online it says only the c/10 got a 3.4 ratio and the F44 option 3.73.
I mean i dont really GAF becaue its not really gonna be hauling all the time. 
Pretty cool to know though. 

It should be getting dropped off at Diddy's tomorrow and then the fitment of wheels , a good wash down because WA are nazi's with bio security. then onto the transporter to go to its new home :) 

• Like 5