Lord Gruntfuttock's 1973 Honda Trail 90 (CT90)

Lord Gruntfuttock

So yeah was bothering me. Went home at lunchtime and sanded back the lumps...

ah1jlt12.0r1.jpg

Hopefully next coat will be smooth enough to add decals if I decide to...

[edit]

Much gooder.

izrt5wci.2j2.jpg

Bit more prep and slightly more reducer and paint flowed much better. I also lightened it up a shade or two as I reckon it looked better when sanded. Seems gun wasn't blocked yesterday, just some doofus forgot about the air screw on the bottom, gave it a tweak after cleaning gun and things went much smoother. Course it was flowing so sweet I overlaid it and got a couple of drips. Fuck I'm hopeless at this paint thing, but good to practice on bits like this...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IT'S ALIVE...   :thumbleft:

gqtxkxbm.t25.jpg

me1o1fsu.vql.jpg

Loosely assembled in these pics but the heart beats, and sounds great, nice bit of rort. Spent bloody ages chasing why no spark and seemed to be grease on the new points, bit of a swipe with 120 grit and some Brakleen and chocks away. Got her into top gear round the back yard, till told to shut up by kids as it was a tad noisy and they were in bed...  :)

Sorting rest of lectrics and adjusting clutch, brakes etc and should be good for her maiden voyage [musn't lose focus and move onto next project as tends to happen]...   :rolleyes:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Haven't posted for a while. The engine was running but hunting a bit so I bought an Ali carb that was perfect in every way, except for most of the bits being on the wrong side, so I bought another one on ebay that had fuel tap and choke on LHS. Mocked it up this morning and found it was shorter than the original and the air filter hose wouldn't fit, so made up a spacer from scrap alloy...

5el53b2i.kv5.jpg

Bit of filing and sanding on a flat surface...
bdvnpwef.emv.jpg

And a pic of the carb, amazed you can buy one of these for the price of a rebuild kit. Quite pleased with the fit, and just cut a paper gasket for the non o-ring side before fitting. Yet to see if a new Chinese one better then an original Japper...
2rsa5izv.qeo.jpg

And she's away. Wouldn't start till I flicked choke off then it started immediately and settled into a nice tickover.
ro3wmrdd.uex.jpg

Took it for a ride, and I was highly disappointed with performance, till I realised the speedo was in miles, then I was only medium disappointed. :)

These are not a rocket. Got max of 80kmh on GPS, and any hill or headwind drops that off markedly. Still, first time I've ridden one and it's MUCH faster than the old FA I spent ages trying to get to 60. Man it's noisy though, gonna need earplugs for any decent ride... :-D

Now just got taillight and indicators/mirrors to sort and will think about getting it road legal...

• Like 5

So spent the day playing with the kids at home on it (wife even had a ride). Discovered in low ratio I can get into top on the circuit round the elm tree on the front lawn and get a good lean on... :)

Then got cocky, went for a blat to a mates place to do another GPS speed test, and she let me down...

bjtf2tb1.obq.jpg

Obviously not ready for epic road trip yet, just started missing at full throttle, and progressively got worse till I was stranded, gave me my workout for the day, but I've pushed far heavier bikes. Still had good spark when back in shed so thinking fuel related. hoped was blocked filter but was the same on reserve (got filter in each line). Plan is Brass Monkey this year on it, looking at overland route so will get it sorted before then...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2017 at 19:21, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Nah 19mm. Same dimensions (35mm inlet) but everything on the wrong side so fuel tap and choke foul on main frame tube. Got all excited seeing it on Ali and forgot to check things like that... :)

dayum.

I should really buy a 22mm one for my lifan 125 conversion so that i have integrated tap :)

gutted she dropped guts on ya!!

Cleaned plug and it's away again, was wet when I pulled it but not sure if fuel or oil. I'll do a compression test and look at valve seal/s when I get a chance (think the K4 only had a seal on exhaust)? Then I'll adjust clutch and timing chain and give her another blat to see how plug looks when it stops raining...