The Pogs 1980 Nissan Uncivil Ian - Discussion

ThePog

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to use the existing roof, split it just above the guttering and just in front of the side door, so basically the last 2/3rds.

I reckon to weld a bit of box section in a ring sitting on the cut, that way it will tie in all the roof ribs, then the same on the roof part.

Then some box section ribs to give the lift spacing - this will be at least 550mm. The new vertical ribs will be spaced so that I can have sliding windows pretty much all the way along the lifted sides, cos that is where any standing will be done and I want to be able to see out. Ullrich Aluminium have a couple of bus sliding window sections that mean i can make whatever size windows i want, Richmond Glass can supply the toughened glass in the size I want.

Then I will just sheetmetal and fully weld whatever gaps are left. The front will be sloped over about 800mm and I will probably leave that bit of the cut roof at the original height so that there can be some internal shelving/speakers.

The main issue with this method is that the existing windows slope inwards slightly, a direct lift means the new upright ribs will need to be vertical for it all to match up which I think will bollox up the looks.

To get around this I am probably going to split and re weld the roof ribs in 2 or 3 places so i can give the whole roof a bit more curvature - this will bring the roof width in so I can match the lifted bit to the slope of the lifted portion, thus maintaining the rather sexy looks.

Probably.

I have a great idea!  A plywood special. My mate whipped up a creation for his family bus :-) I cant find a photo but I have it on a video I made of Hannah's Bedford Housetruck she built.

If you head to about 5mins in you'll spot it in all its glory.....

That Bedford was a perfect base for a housetruck, so much room...

I see what you mean about the plywood roof lift........but no.

Steel is the construction medium I like working with, andas it happens I am pretty well set up to build stuff with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, it is just the easiest way to make shit accurately. It helps a lot to have cad, so not for everyone.

The dude with the laser in Nelson is my favourite man, I get all sorts of things made that way now. I don't know how I survived without him.

Ha, it is just the easiest way to make shit accurately. It helps a lot to have cad, so not for everyone.

The dude with the laser in Nelson is my favourite man, I get all sorts of things made that way now. I don't know how I survived without him.

Who is this chap? And what sort of $ were those seats bases? The ideas are spinning in my head...

I might let the kids do what they want with the outside paint, I am way more interested in the underlying form of things.

I have been thinking about a window there, but it wouldn't be the best if there was a rack, although this does depend on the rack design. If I did anything it would be a splitty type arrangement, 2x flat windows.

I looked pretty hard at this when I was at the wreckers browsing windows and seats, the main issue is the steel around the window frame. In vans etc framing has an inner and outer sheet, and it spaces out pretty wide straight away from the seal for shell stiffness, and this makes it a bit harder to fit. I will go have another look tho, it might work out.