The Pogs 1980 Nissan Uncivil Ian

ThePog

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Some time consuming stuff happened, mostly creating the gas bottle box. I thought about buying one but it would have meant quite a lot more surgery to fit and they were bloody expensive. This is tidier anyway

A hole;

IMG_20160924_093137_zpsya7kqliq.jpg

A cagey bit of stuff tailored to the exact size that was available underneath, but somehow also perfectly sized for 2x 4kg gas bottles - I hope :doubt: - although i did go to Mitre 10 and measure the bottles there. There are locating rings and tie hooks as well;

IMG_20160925_115131_zpseyangt9y.jpg

Slammed into place;

IMG_20160925_130129_zpsl0win3tq.jpg

IMG_20160925_130201_zpsoq1elqye.jpg

IMG_20160925_130422_zpsnx3rhsgl.jpg

Not the tidiest work I have ever done, and the door sits out a wee bit too much. But I can fix this and the thing is solid as. It is all removable anyway if it needs some mods.

I also placed some ply in the main bed frames and put a layer of PU floor tiles in there to maximise the comfort. Not really, this was actually because I had 12mm ply sitting in a 25mm angle frame, this meant about 10mm of the frame was sitting above the ply. The foam fills in this gap nicely.

IMG_20160921_170710_zpsrju7syv6.jpg

IMG_20160925_165128_zpsvqwofyh9.jpg

I also fixed the water tanks in place and made a mount for the water pump that Shane supplied out of his bus stuff.

IMG_20160925_115139_zpspjnnrshq.jpg

I am going to try to get the water system hooked up before the COF check....

• Like 6

It got left out in the rain last night for a watertightness sit rep - and it leaks through the new windows and the boot. I will sort this pronto.

I took everything out of the bus today bar the seats, this is so I can paint internally. This hurt my back so I stopped at lunchtime then had a nana nap. Then I made this bit of kit out of a mostly matching pair of sturdy scissor jacks I picked up from the wreckers during the week;

IMG_20161002_170108_zpsvpi7g43g.jpg

IMG_20161002_170114_zpstik14pl5.jpg

IMG_20161002_170124_zpsabkkqj5q.jpg

This will be incorporated into a new rear bumper and prevent unsightly rocking from ..... from stuff that causes rocking in buses.

I will find something to latch them up in place, probably a trailer type hitch thingy.

Another thing has been added to the list of things to do after our adventure yesterday, it appears that there is only about 50mm of travel in the rear axle before the tyres hit the bodywork. This was apparent when taking corners at anything like speed, there would be a horrendous scraping noise and the smell of burnt rubber. So I will need to lift the tyre wells a little bit and maybe find some new shocks for it. It is generally pretty wallowy, not like a racing GTR bus at all.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been chipping away at multiple things since the last update, a Fiamma roof vent is one of them;

IMG_20161116_183227_zpsfq2utnut.jpg

IMG_20161116_183251_zpsk2wrw4nn.jpg

I finished up the stereo installation as well. I needed to mount a switch to manually switch it on and off so there could be sounds when parked up, plus for some reason that is not entirely clear to me I thought i had better make it so I can turn off the Aux/memory feed as well, After taking out the old stereo I realised I had two perfectly positioned switch holes for these functions, this saved me the minor hassle of making up a plate;

IMG_20161120_094231_zpsq3j7zkh0.jpg

IMG_20161116_190906_zpsc7ulqfwh.jpg

Stuffed under that dash is a 24v - 12v convertor so the thing actually runs.

Might try to find a sub for it one day.

I bought a brand new 24v compressor fridge and installed this, then I made some shelves which will need something on the fronts to stop shit falling off;

IMG_20161120_153103_zpswnfegxtu.jpg

Then I laminated another layer of ply onto my bench top cos it looked a bit flimsy.

Then I made a shelf that fits the other side of the gas hob that folds up and acts as a spatter shield when it it not an extra bit of bench.

Then I refitted the glove box.

Then I bought some curtain rail extrusion and fitted that all around.

Then I installed an extrusion on the side of the bus to fit an awning at some point.

I have also ordered the solar system, this includes an bi-directional VSR which means the alternator can charge the solar batteries when the bus is running and the solar can charge the bus batteries when the bus is not running. This will be very exciting.

I think that control panel will morph into some other format when the solar stuff arrives.

In other news I investigated the source of a suspicious dried out coolant looking patch on the ground, and it looks very much like the radiator is totally fucked and weeping/leaking from multiple points. Fixing this will be interesting as I imagine that brand new OEM radiators for 1980 Nissan Civilians are a bit thin on the ground. I am sure something can be hacked into there if needed. This fix will need to happen fairly soon I imagine, so I will take it to the radiator place and get an opinion.

As you were.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...